Los Alcarrizos

May 17, 2017
Recently on a trip to DR visiting my father, he shared with me that my grandfather was from Los Alcarrizos. 
I didn't visit the area because of lack of time, and  because of it being known as one of the worst barrios in the country. Without enough knowledge, I just didn't seem like a good idea.

Is anyone familiar with the history of Los Alcarrizos? Has it always been a 'bad' area? Was it possibly a township for slaves or the poor? My grandfather was born in DR but we believe he was of full African heritage. It is rumored that his parents or their predecessors were Cocolos. 

If you have any information in regards of Los Alcarrizos, whether it be present or past, I'd greatly appreciate it. There's so much research you can do, but actually getting testimonies from people who live it and witness or have witnessed it, is priceless. 

Thank you. 
Best,
Ysabel. 

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I've lived there for 3 months when I first arrived in the DR and every bad area used to be a good one although in the case of Los Alcarrizos it has been a bad place for a long time and by not visiting you haven't missed anything. ;)
Can't tell you anything about the history though, sorry

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
My wife is from Los Alcarrizos and we visit there a few times a year. Poor barrio and not safe for gringo to venture out alone! I feel safe when when I am in the company of locals I know from there. I am also curious about the history.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband was born and raised in Santo Domingo, he says that area was always poor, but not dangerous, when he was young [end of the Trujillo era]. Calls it a "war zone" now.