cable TV box shortage cabarete

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
One of my 2 boxes failed.......the technician came and said there are no boxes available for 6 months??????.is there a way to getva box from USA or somewhere?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Get a new Technician instead. You obviously forgot to offer him the expected propina for finding "the last one" in all of the DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Assuming that there are no compatible cable boxes anywhere in this country, which is highly doubtful, you can certainly purchase one on your own. The caveat being that your cable company will need to enter the decoder into their system and activate its use. You'll need to speak with your cable company.

Be prepared to watch their heads explode when you do. You will be the first person ever to ask about this, they will argue up and down how all of their boxes are white so any box that is coloured black cannot possibly work. They will have no idea how to press F6 to manually enter a decoder ID into the system and they will not be able to figure out how to stop billing you the rental charge for the cable box you now own outright.

The chances are really good that a decoder sourced from a local competitor will work just fine if you can overcome the technical hurdles presented by the counter people whose basic concept of technical support is to show you that their box in the office works just fine therefore so does yours.

"We won't have any decoders for six months", makes no sense, can't possibly be true for a company that makes it's money delivering a signal to customers and smacks of, "I'm late for dinner and I can't be bothered to deal with your particular issue."

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Assuming that there are no compatible cable boxes anywhere in this country, which is highly doubtful, you can certainly purchase one on your own. The caveat being that your cable company will need to enter the decoder into their system and activate its use. You'll need to speak with your cable company.

Be prepared to watch their heads explode when you do. You will be the first person ever to ask about this, they will argue up and down how all of their boxes are white so any box that is coloured black cannot possibly work. They will have no idea how to press F6 to manually enter a decoder ID into the system and they will not be able to figure out how to stop billing you the rental charge for the cable box you now own outright.

The chances are really good that a decoder sourced from a local competitor will work just fine if you can overcome the technical hurdles presented by the counter people whose basic concept of technical support is to show you that their box in the office works just fine therefore so does yours.

"We won't have any decoders for six months", makes no sense, can't possibly be true for a company that makes it's money delivering a signal to customers and smacks of, "I'm late for dinner and I can't be bothered to deal with your particular issue."
My new box from Cable Norte is black. I had to wait a week to get it. I think they don't want to pay to keep inventory in low season. The TV repair shop in, Sousa, sold boxes in the past. You may want to try them.