Minor DR citizen flying out of the DR alone

antonius

Nov 15, 2006
I was planning to have my 15 year old stepson (DR citizen, US resident) travel to the US by himself. His mother (my wife) would be accompanying him to the airport for his flight with his birth certificate and the permiso from the father that she uses on the occasion when she has accompanies them into the US.

I read on the govt website that official policy is that his mother has to provide a permiso as well and that her physical presence and proof that she is his mother is not enough for official permission to leave. However, last summer his sister left the DR to the US by herself as a 16 year old and she was never asked to show anything.

Numerous times in the past my wife has traveled with her children/my stepchildren along with our daughter and she doesnt have any problem even though she only has permisos for the two with their father and never had a problem bringing in our daughter traveling only with mom and no permiso from me. I didnt have a problem when I left with just me and my daughter and even though she was traveling on a US passport the law states that permission is still required for a minor to travel out of the DR with only one parent (I think that the law makes an exception if the minor entered with only one parent but I dont know how they would know that or how I could prove that I entered the country without her mom).

It seems like the enforcement of this law is sporadic only invoked when there is some suspicion (or a migration official wants to get a shakedown). According to my wife, it cost $10K pesos and four business days to obtain the required documentation so I really want to avoid doing this. Also, my stepson is six feet tall and speaks English so not really the type of minor that one would be concerned is being kidnapped by one parent.

Maybe it is worth taking the chance because even the JetBlue agents seemed to think he could travel without it before researching the legal requirements more in depth. Given that the permiso document costs almost as much as the plane ticket, it may be worth it to take my chances in the hope that the worst that will happen is they will ask my wife to pay something like $2K pesos to "expedite" an exception to this requirement at the airport.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not think there is any way to predict the result of this. Let us know what happens.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
1. Airlines have rules about age of solo travelers, check their website
2. Must have passport to enter or reenter U.S.
3. Docs you will need, I don't know but airline would be good place to start checking.

antonius

Nov 15, 2006
1. Airlines have rules about age of solo travelers, check their website
2. Must have passport to enter or reenter U.S.
3. Docs you will need, I don't know but airline would be good place to start checking.

Everything with the airline is fine other than this DR specific requirement that applies to minors leaving the country. The only issue here is how strictly that law is enforced. As I said, my stepdaughter was not asked for anything when she left the DR to come to the US by herself last year. It could be one of those things that is technically a required document but migration officers only care about if they are suspicious something nefarious is occurring in which case they would have the legal authority to prevent them from leaving the country. It also provides an opportunity to get some extra cash. I seem to recall several years ago there was an issue related to the permiso where my wife had to go into an office and pay a fee to the supervisor to waive the requirement. It may be more like a regulation where at a certain level of authority the requirement can be waived. My experience in the DR has been that there is usually someone on site that has the authority to waive whatever the technicality of the law states at his discretion.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Keep in mind that everything is now computerized, therefore taking a lot of the decision-making out of the hands of the agents. I have heard of kids being denied departure due to the lack of Permiso de salida para menores but have also heard of other cases where no questions were asked travelling with 1 parent. Travelling alone I would assume would raise some red flags.

Feb 7, 2007
What KateP says is correct. Get the permit. Both mother and father can do a joint permit thus saving cost. The permit can be issued in couple of hours, not 4 days.

If the kid had been in the DR for less than 90 days, check with the Migracion office in person, as certain other conditions may apply to not require permit, given the fact the kid is residing in the USA. I assume the kid is a real USA resident, not just a paper one.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
A US passport holder normally would not need permission as they are returning to their domicile (US). My niece and nephew have US residency and have been traveling alone to the US since they were 11 and 12 respectively. At the ticket counter and again going through immigration they were asked for the letter of permission. Once they both turned 16 they were never asked for the permission letter. IMO it is always better to be prepared rather than be denied departure for lack of permission.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I was planning to have my 15 year old stepson (DR citizen, US resident) travel to the US by himself. His mother (my wife) would be accompanying him to the airport for his flight with his birth certificate and the permiso from the father that she uses on the occasion when she has accompanies them into the US.

I read on the govt website that official policy is that his mother has to provide a permiso as well and that her physical presence and proof that she is his mother is not enough for official permission to leave. However, last summer his sister left the DR to the US by herself as a 16 year old and she was never asked to show anything.

Numerous times in the past my wife has traveled with her children/my stepchildren along with our daughter and she doesnt have any problem even though she only has permisos for the two with their father and never had a problem bringing in our daughter traveling only with mom and no permiso from me. I didnt have a problem when I left with just me and my daughter and even though she was traveling on a US passport the law states that permission is still required for a minor to travel out of the DR with only one parent (I think that the law makes an exception if the minor entered with only one parent but I dont know how they would know that or how I could prove that I entered the country without her mom).

It seems like the enforcement of this law is sporadic only invoked when there is some suspicion (or a migration official wants to get a shakedown). According to my wife, it cost $10K pesos and four business days to obtain the required documentation so I really want to avoid doing this. Also, my stepson is six feet tall and speaks English so not really the type of minor that one would be concerned is being kidnapped by one parent.

Maybe it is worth taking the chance because even the JetBlue agents seemed to think he could travel without it before researching the legal requirements more in depth. Given that the permiso document costs almost as much as the plane ticket, it may be worth it to take my chances in the hope that the worst that will happen is they will ask my wife to pay something like $2K pesos to "expedite" an exception to this requirement at the airport.

As we know enforcement of all kinds of rules and regs in the DR are sometimes enforced or not by the whim of officials however if you know what the requirements are for flying a minor I would have all the necessary documents in place and available if the airlines or immigration asks for them. Security continues to increase on flights all around the world and I would not think that the airlines would be less likely not to require the necessary documents. Ignorance is bliss but no excuse if you decide to just blow off having an official document from your wife. Get it done and move ahead with your plans. Good luck and good travels.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a crap shoot as to if they will ask for the second paper from the mom for a child born in the DR. You take a chance not having it.