praise of sosua

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so we're doing mother's day party in our house and we went to sosua to stock up on meat and other stuff. it's been a while since i've been there and i forgot how much joy a short shopping trip can bring.

first stop, good old playero. so yeah, maybe it is expensive but it is well stocked with items i don't even see in santiago, to say nothing about puerto plata. i love bread and pastries choice there. they also have lots of imported dairy goods, tons upon tons of sweets, fancy shmancy sauces, spices and so on. we bought italian flour, some frank's red hot, some asian noodle thingies and other assorted goodies. it's a great store and the owners know who they cater to.

second stop, bavaria butcher. it's kinda funny that the owners don't speak much spanish and makes me feel guilty for never learning german. darn. the meat is nice, sausages are nice, steak tartare sammich was delish and we were offered some freebies for dropping about 100 dollars on meat and deli. the cuts and the quality are well worth it. we were talking it may be a good idea to go there once a month or two, stock up and freeze the products rather than shop locally.

third stop, la pola. again, neat little store. the choice is ample and they have a little bit of everything that la sirena in POP carries plus some more. and a lot less shoppers than crazy la sirena.

fourth stop, book nook and lovely sweet guy who is running the place. i found two books i wanted to try, 100 pesos each. a bargain. i will definitely be back but we did not have much time today so i could not browse.

i see that some streets are getting a lick of asphalt, very good. on the other hand, it royally fcuked up the traffic in the city centre, very bad. both things are temporary, tho, the asphalt as much as extra bad traffic :)

traditionally i saw no AMET or aggressive PN around sosua that every other visitor seems to complain about, the drive was smooth back and forth. in fact on our was to sosua at stop lights in montellano a police woman held us for a moment just to say that there are reports of a woman in a silver hyundai pretending to need help by the side of the road for her pals to attack the drivers who stop to give her a hand.

so yeah, credit where credit's due: a dusty ho town has a lil' bit to offer.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Well thank ya kindly Mam' from us denizens of this dusty one-burro town.'Bout time we had a decent review,,,Some of us still enjoy what's left of its character..("Charm" would be seriously pushing it..!)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
would you mind giving directions to the bavaria butcher and book nook tks

bavaria butcher is on the main road. coming from puerto plata you need to drive past sosua towards cabarete. it's at the very end of town, on the left, just by the turn towards sosua ocean village, opposite the now closed supermarket (favorito?).
book nook is in beachway plaza, close to checkpoint, as mentioned before. you can walk from playero: take the one way street right opposite playero entry, at the traffic lights. walk about 100 meters up the street and it will be just round the corner.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I've never been critical of Sousa. It was where I stayed on my first trip to the DR. I like the amenities it has and I'm not talking about the chicas or the sex trade. I've always felt safe walking the streets and navigating my way around town by car. It thrives on tourism and with that comes a certain amount of socially unacceptable activity. Other towns with less notoriety have the same problems. Unfortunately, Sousa has become a lightening rod for publicity for these problems. Disregard this and you can appreciate the place and what it has to offer. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
bavaria butcher is on the main road. coming from puerto plata you need to drive past sosua towards cabarete. it's at the very end of town, on the left, just by the turn towards sosua ocean village, opposite the now closed supermarket (favorito?).
book nook is in beachway plaza, close to checkpoint, as mentioned before. you can walk from playero: take the one way street right opposite playero entry, at the traffic lights. walk about 100 meters up the street and it will be just round the corner.

They have a website as well.
http://www.productosbavaria.com/home.en.html

its a small site. but under the language Flag on the left , there are a couple more pages one can click on for more info .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, thanks for the link, i did not know they had a website! they always have such great food. i cannot recommend them enough.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Glad you had a good shopping trip, we are very fortunate to have the variety available locally. Next trip be sure to try the Bavarian Butcher's weisswurst,apfelleberwurst(apple liverwurst) and the sandwich meat schinkenwurst( better than bologna sliced meat)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Glad you had a good shopping trip, we are very fortunate to have the variety available locally. Next trip be sure to try the Bavarian Butcher's weisswurst,apfelleberwurst(apple liverwurst) and the sandwich meat schinkenwurst( better than bologna sliced meat)

That sounds like the best of the wurst!

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
steak tartare sammich was delish.

Just so you know - the "steak tartare" is actually cerdo. I know - I wasn't too sure about trying it - a German friend insisted I try it : DELISH. :laugh:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just so you know - the "steak tartare" is actually cerdo. I know - I wasn't too sure about trying it - a German friend insisted I try it : DELISH. :laugh:

La Costera used to serve it as well , I am pretty sure he got it from this Butcher.. but i never had the guts to try it ..
It has to be ULTRA FRESH... very risky business, raw Cerdo... but I hear its very good..

I had Steak Tartar, but RES at a very respectable Restaurant , in Las Terrenas , and got Colitis , real bad..
I wont mention the name of that restaurant ,because a member here who lives there also agrees they are highly respected . and i had no other issues there, just impeccable Meals ..

But Point is , tartar its NOT for Everyone .. so be careful .. even fresh, you can get Colitis .. not fun.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Then it is not steak tartare. But it is pretty Dangerous ..
I do eat steak tartare, in Belgium or France, not here , and cerdo tartare...I don't even feed the dogs raw cerdo.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
so yeah, credit where credit's due: a dusty ho town has a lil' bit to offer.

Although I enjoyed the up and downs (and everything in between) while living up there...
I still say, Sosua's a sunny place for shady people.

Aug 21, 2007
Will only say one thing.....and I am not in Sosua much anymore.....but thanks, dv8. It's about time someone puts Sosua in perspective.

Even those who come for alternative activities enjoy the diversity of food options.

I wish someone would check on this....but somehow I think that the German butcher is also supplying Playero.

Lindsey