costambar

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I'm hearing rumors that Lifestyles is buying or has bought the land behind Farolito and also buying the golf course. And I'm also hearing 5 guys from New York are buying the hotel by the catamaran. I'll believe it when I see it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm hearing rumors that Lifestyles is buying or has bought the land behind Farolito and also buying the golf course. And I'm also hearing 5 guys from New York are buying the hotel by the catamaran. I'll believe it when I see it.

yes...believe that when you see it. 12 years ago, a guy from North Carolina came to buy that hotel, then changed his mind when he considered what it would have taken to restore it.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
That hotel can't be restored, would have to be knocked down ,but hey, whoever thought the cruise ships would come back. stranger things have happened !

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Lifestyles does have one small apartment type building towards the end of the beach road on the left hand side past El Carey. Since they were ousted from Playa Dorada, they have been looking for a facility with a golf course closer to their main Cofresi resort. The other resorts in Playa Dorada are competing with him for golfers and their families and they get priority at the RTJ Playa Dorada golf course.

Marco is a get something for nothing guy. If he can scam a deal for land in Costambar through his government cronies, it will happen especially if he can get a private golf course out of it. The golf course is not the caliber of the Playa Dorada course but it could be easily upgraded.

Lifestyles Cofresi is overbooked during peak season and his nearest big villa complex is in Samana, a long hard drive from Cofresi and not doing well apparently. He needs space close by to expand and keep his clientele happy. My feeling is something will eventually happen in Costambar because of its proximity to Cofresi. When and the scale of it is anybody's guess. 

I personally would hate to see it. I like the level of activity in Costambar and the beach and bar scene with the locals. I visit often as I have friends who rent condos there for extended periods during the winter. A massive influx of resort clientele on a weekly basis would change the complexion of the area. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And there is also the Lifestyles resort in Cabarete going in as we speak, which will be far closer than Samana.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The lifestyle property is already expanding eastward towards Costambar. Villas and high end suites are already being sold and under construction on the eastern fringe of the resort. The property in Cabarete will not be a significant draw for the upper echelon members as there will be a lack of the premium accommodations and services that this group wishes to make use of. Cabarete is intended to help during the high season with those members who can no longer get bookings at Corfresi when they want. With more than 800 Shareholder memberships and some 500 Chairman's Circle memberships and an additional 75,000+ lower level memberships there is a real squeeze on accommodations for everything other than a junior suite which is just not acceptable to those who plunked down a small fortune.

Don't get me wrong, the Cabarete property will be really nice but the fact remains that the limited size of the property and the accommodations offered will not be able to compete with the appeal of the Corfresi site for those looking for monster homes, with private pools, butlers, personal chefs, 22 bars and 15 high end restaurants. I'm sure there will be shuttle service offered between Corfresi and Cabarete and if they can swing the permissions, a helipad, but the Rolls Royce crowd won't be staying there but perhaps once to check it out.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
And there is also the Lifestyles resort in Cabarete going in as we speak, which will be far closer than Samana.
Forgot about that one. Rather see it there than in Costambar. That would give the clientele easy access to the other RTJ course towards Río San Juan. 

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Does the new construction site between cabarete and gaspar hernandez have anything to do with all of this? It seems a lot bigger than the site in cabarete....