Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Border crossing and road 45

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Border crossing and road 45

Hi.

Sorry for my bad English.

I'm a swedish guy renting a car in Santo Domingo and then driving to Puerto Plata.

From Puerto Plata my plan is to drive to the Dajabon and leave the car there while I go to Haiti for a day trip.

My question is do I need to pay the Dominican exit fees and / or Haiti entry fees if I just go there for a day?

Or can you just simply walk across the border without any trouble?

Also after that I'm planning to take road 45 down to south, but the Google maps says it crosses thru Haiti and does not recommend driving it.

Is this the reason and how good shape the road is?

Thank you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So, first off I don't recommend driving there for you at all. Take the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Cap Haitien and travel in comfort. If you do rent a car you cannot take it over the border. And yes, you pay to leave, enter and enter. Walking over puts you into a mass of humanity with nowhere to go but with an overprice taxi to Capo Haitien.
    Taking the bus will save you a ton of money, time and grief.
    http://www.caribetours.com.do/index....jes/get_travel

Having said all that, it is not a day trip by any means, you will spend the whole day on the road and at the border to see not much. Take the bus from SD or Santiago and return to Puerto Plata on the same bus line switching in Santiago.

3. Likes Derfish, Garyexpat, CristoRey, Conchman liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see any reason why you can't just cross the border on foot and spend some time there, just to add it to your list of countries visited. I think you have to pay a fee for a visa to enter Haiti, but it is not too much. If you have a valid Dominican tourist visa (not out of date) you should be able to leave and come back without paying more fees.

I believe Frank12, who is a regular contributor here, has driven the whole of Route 45, but he did it on a big, off-road motorbike. I think it would be very difficult in a normal car.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I can't see any reason why you can't just cross the border on foot and spend some time there, just to add it to your list of countries visited. I think you have to pay a fee for a visa to enter Haiti, but it is not too much. If you have a valid Dominican tourist visa (not out of date) you should be able to leave and come back without paying more fees.

I believe Frank12, who is a regular contributor here, has driven the whole of Route 45, but he did it on a big, off-road motorbike. I think it would be very difficult in a normal car.

Yes.
    I would just like to visit a new country. I don't need to be there for a long - maybe just few hour lunch.

About road 45 - I guess it's not an option as I have only a small Kia car.
    This road 45 goes thru the Haiti according to the map. So there won't be any problems because of this ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just take the bus and visit Cap haitien for 3 - 4 days. Walking thru the border area ist surely an experience but I don't think one needs it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As other's have said you cannot bring a DR rental car into Haiti. As others have said, take the bus there and save the potential pain.

I have lived in the DR for 14 years. I never had the desire to do what you want, but I understand the desire to visit different places. It is just that one of them for me is not Haiti.

8. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonbon you may enjoy this article by Julia Alvarez who drove that very route. I would love to do it one day - but not in a Kia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/t...iola.html?_r=0

Matilda

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited CH two years ago. Different, but no problems. Beautiful country side, Ch itself not so. All people friendly.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the answers!

I know most people say that it's horrible to cross the border by foot. I am just a kind of person who enjoys all kind of trouble and struggling with the things. So for me a little bit too many people at the border is just an enjoyment.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good article Matilda.

Thank you

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast