Is it possible to get work in DR if you dont speak Spanish?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I'm in a language school studying Spanish so I'm a work in progress, but next year I hope to be able to be at least close to holding a conversation in Spanish.

But I don't know how good my Spanish will be within that time but I wanted to know about getting a job in the DR with very limited Spanish? Is this possible? I'm fairly young but have 3 college degrees in the US and have worked for a very popular Fortune 500 company and now work in the public sector in a non-STEM field, but I still make 100K yearly.

Do I have any chances of possibly getting a job in DR or is it a country where to work you have to be 100% bilingual?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's possible - there are companies where many or most middle/senior execs speak English, in the tourism and INGO sector for example.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My first job in DR was in 2001 without speaking any Spanish. It took me two months to get that job but it was a late answer of the very first job interview I did. The company in question (big5 accountancy/consultancy company) had English as their official language even though the first 6 months I was useless at client meetings.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm in a language school studying Spanish so I'm a work in progress, but next year I hope to be able to be at least close to holding a conversation in Spanish.

But I don't know how good my Spanish will be within that time but I wanted to know about getting a job in the DR with very limited Spanish? Is this possible? I'm fairly young but have 3 college degrees in the US and have worked for a very popular Fortune 500 company and now work in the public sector in a non-STEM field, but I still make 100K yearly.

Do I have any chances of possibly getting a job in DR or is it a country where to work you have to be 100% bilingual?

With your level of education, you should be able to get a job, but don't expect to earn much. And you need to be a legal resident here to work.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
My first job in DR was in 2001 without speaking any Spanish. It took me two months to get that job but it was a late answer of the very first job interview I did. The company in question (big5 accountancy/consultancy company) had English as their official language even though the first 6 months I was useless at client meetings.

Thanks for the answer, did you apply from the US or DR?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Theres no work visa option in DR?

Yes, there are work visas and, as mentioned in post #7, there are some jobs where you can work illegally but, in general, these really pay peanuts - and they are getting scarcer due to illegal immigration crackdown.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone making 100K annually in US dollars, saving for a retirement with benefits, would have to ask themselves why they would come to the DR and work of peanuts. Consider the DR for retirement, but not as a place to earn a living while saving for retirement.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Anyone making 100K annually in US dollars, saving for a retirement with benefits, would have to ask themselves why they would come to the DR and work of peanuts. Consider the DR for retirement, but not as a place to earn a living while saving for retirement.

Could not have said it better.......

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a scarcity of good employment. When you have a good job it is imperative that you do not get complacent as it not easy to find another job, especially one that pays more than 4 thousand us dollars a month.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a scarcity of good employment. When you have a good job it is imperative that you do not get complacent as it not easy to find another job, especially one that pays more than 4 thousand us dollars a month.

Most of those jobs are reserved for government employees on the take or in companies that pay those government employees on the take. An excellent point, none the less, rfp.

Getting a 100 K US a year job in he DR would be next to impossible, while coming here to work and losing more than you gain would be easy.