Las Terrenas is simply beautiful

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Recently had the pleasure of a 3 night 4 day trip to Bahia Principe el portillo in Las Terrenas and it was fantastic.

We normally go to punta cana. We live in SD, but I wanted something different this trip. My wife suggested Samana and we decided on Las Terrenas. The difference in the people that go there vs the drunks in Punta Cana was like night and day. So much more relaxing without all the riff raff. The Atlantic Coast really is where its at.

That is all-

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
LT is my favorite destination in the Dominican Republic! Some of the best restaurants, and certainly, one of the best beaches on the north coast. The hotels are wonderful, whether you are on a tight budget or going high end. I just love it!

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Recently had the pleasure of a 3 night 4 day trip to Bahia Principe el portillo in Las Terrenas and it was fantastic.

The difference in the people that go there vs the drunks in Punta Cana was like night and day. So much more relaxing without all the riff raff. .

That is all-

You mean you don't enjoy the company of the "all you can eat and drink until I pass out" crowd and listening to them blame it on the Dominican food as they lounge their 40 pound overweight bodies by the pool talking about waxing their pick up truck and chev camero which is parked next to their rotting camper that they used 15 years ago at a KOA camp ground near a sewage creek in Pennsylvania

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I agree, but Don't go during Semana Santa if you dont like drinking , its like Mardi Gras in New Orleans but on Steroids. Possibly the wildest partying scene I have ever seen in my life when them Jeepetas & quads rolling through the streets with their Music and giant speakers.
But yes the rest of the year its very quiet and Chill ...
Fishermans Village area is my absolute favorite area to hang out , great Restaurants there , but prefer to stay in Playa Bonita area as its even more chill but completely dead at night . Mostly all well to do Dominicans stay at those quiet Hotels , some NY Doms.. was never loud around the Pool .. maybe we got lucky.
If you like Las Terrenas , you must try Las Galeras,, even more relaxing and chill . Have not found a better place yet .

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Is there a hotel or appartment you could recommand in Las Galeras? Or in fishermans Village. Kind a late three days dia de las madres.

Apr 10, 2014
You mean you don't enjoy the company of the "all you can eat and drink until I pass out" crowd and listening to them blame it on the Dominican food as they lounge their 40 pound overweight bodies by the pool talking about waxing their pick up truck and chev camero which is parked next to their rotting camper that they used 15 years ago at a KOA camp ground near a sewage creek in Pennsylvania

Next to the van by the river

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Is there a hotel or appartment you could recommand in Las Galeras? Or in fishermans Village. Kind a late three days dia de las madres.

With respect to Fishermans Village , we go there during the day. have not stayed at hotels there .

As to Las Galeras,
I would say first trip do the All Inclusive thing at Grand Paradise, nice big safe parking lot for your Rental Car( a must ,imo), make sure you get a 4wd, so you can explore Playa Rincon .. Their deals off season cant be beat for a couple.. Then explore the smaller Boutique hotels, or Villas, & other beaches and find exactly what suits you. but for around $130 a night for a couple ( go to their website directly for he deal) , all meals & drinks included you wont be able to beat that price .
But DO check out like Booking .com and you will see the huge variations in Prices and Amenities .. from the simple to very very pricey, you can spend up to like $500 a night at a Luxury Villa like Villa La Salamandre , there is something for everyone.
Lots of Houses on the hill to the right of G P , , with rental signs in german and spanish, once you get the feel of the place .
Todo Blanco is also very nice, but pricey imo. but you can also get bungalows, and B&B type place rooms for around $40 a night too , depending on what you like. I would go AI, til you get your feet wet., its real laid back ... we were outside the Gate more than inside . thats why car rental is a must , so you can make a list and explore these other options .

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Las Terranas also my place in DR. Always spending the last week of holidays there. Unfortunately last year the beaches, mostly Punta Popy, had lost much sand. Hope the sand will be back til my next visit. Although enough sandy beaches around, what one loses the others receive.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

We normally go to punta cana. We live in SD, but I wanted something different this trip. My wife suggested Samana and we decided on Las Terrenas. The difference in the people that go there vs the drunks in Punta Cana was like night and day. So much more relaxing without all the riff raff. The Atlantic Coast really is where its at.

That is all-

The location here is very nice but a distance outside of LT. If you want to stay closer to the village stay at the Hotel Colibri or Hotel Alisei on Playa Ballenas. This is the other side of town from where you were but nicer beaches. These however are not A-I like the Bahia Principe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure if I can get out that way again without some major persuasion. We went once to LT and my wife was not very impressed. I guess I didn't see the spots everyone seems to like.

Then we went to see friends who stopped on a cruise at La Galleras and we had planned to spend the night. She got creeped out by the place so we headed back to Cabarete that same day.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Creeped out?

Interesting. Was it las galeras itself that 'creeped her out' or was it the place you stayed in lg?

Not sure if I can get out that way again without some major persuasion. We went once to LT and my wife was not very impressed. I guess I didn't see the spots everyone seems to like.

Then we went to see friends who stopped on a cruise at La Galleras and we had planned to spend the night. She got creeped out by the place so we headed back to Cabarete that same day.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I agree, but Don't go during Semana Santa if you dont like drinking , its like Mardi Gras in New Orleans but on Steroids. Possibly the wildest partying scene I have ever seen in my life when them Jeepetas & quads rolling through the streets with their Music and giant speakers.
But yes the rest of the year its very quiet and Chill ...
Fishermans Village area is my absolute favorite area to hang out , great Restaurants there , but prefer to stay in Playa Bonita area as its even more chill but completely dead at night . Mostly all well to do Dominicans stay at those quiet Hotels , some NY Doms.. was never loud around the Pool .. maybe we got lucky.
If you like Las Terrenas , you must try Las Galeras,, even more relaxing and chill . Have not found a better place yet .

I spent my first Semana Santa in LT in April, it was not as bad as I heard. Outside of Punta Popy and Las Ballenas, crowd were manageable and more behaved. But, yes, it was crowded.

Now, I wasn't as lucky as you, Dom from the capital rented a villa in our residencia. Reggaeton and Dominican rap for 2 days straight while smoking hookah in the shared pool, felt like a video. I cried tears of joy when they left, ready to listen to Verdi :)

Las Galeras is even more beautiful than LT, just a little too quiet for me.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I love Las Terrenas the only bad thing was that there were too many Frenchies ;)

I wish it was less French too as well (and I am French :) ), but there are more and more people from other nationalities compared to a few years back (but Italian and French remain the majority)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
This could be developed into a Monty Python-like script a la ... bleeding lizard in the bidet ... German businessmen doing pyramids in the pool ...

Can I use it in my (yet to be written) best-selling novel?

wbr