Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening a small business

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be semi-permanent in the DR it would make sense to be a legal resident, rather than being an illegal immigrant. So the advice to start residency is a good one.

If you need to rely on money from earnings in the DR, I would not recommend the relocation. Have enough to retire, then anything on top is fun money. You will be up against people and competition that you can only imagine, and some you cannot even imagine. Think of it like this. If you do well, it will be recognized and copied, then both of you will do much less well.

Regarding your potential clients? How many homes are there in the area you plan to live?

2. Likes southern, Auryn liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Windeguy, if their would be an american or European electrician, a/c fixer, plumber  would be happy to pay double the price. I finished finally an appartment but what a head-ache they give you.

4. Likes jinty05, Peterj liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Any really good tradesman... US/European trained Electrician, Plumber, Car Mechanic can do well here in Santiago....there are plenty of people willing to pay a premium to get work done correctly first time around

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Well Windeguy, if their would be an american or European electrician, a/c fixer, plumber  would be happy to pay double the price. I finished finally an appartment but what a head-ache they give you.

6. Likes Derfish, Fulano2, pelaut liked this post
    Dislikes southern disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

dgualin, you have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR (is very costly and time consuming nor does it guarantee you will qualify) If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. Absolutely NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Better yet.... why don't you just forget about living out your dream one day and just stay home?
    Last edited by CristoRey; 05-30-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Even triple, quality is king here!!

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    dgualin, you have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR (is very costly and time consuming nor does it guarantee you will qualify) If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. Absolutely NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Better yet.... why don't you just forget about living out your dream one day and just stay home?
    Lol, pretty funny. The best way to work here is being attached to a large company stateside. Other wise just do volunteer work.

10. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Dislikes jinty05 disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

".........
    Last edited by Fulano2; 07-28-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just simply don't start any company here...you can't afford to be here don't ..don't you will be sorry! You can open pizza joint there are none here

13. Likes ExDR liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I never recommend to anyone to come to the DR if they need to work in the country and not on line. The odds of finding local gainful employment, or creating a successful new business, are very small. If you find something that does work, it will likely be copied until nobody has enough customers to make money. Save your money and retire here when you are able to do so and do your "work" as a hobby.

15. Likes ExDR liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was asking me about purchasing a business in the DR or starting a new one. My reply: What are you tired of living a stress free life and making money? You be nuts to start a business there. Just retire and live the life there or elsewhere.

17. Likes windeguy liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast