Opening a small business

dgaulin

Jan 6, 2016
How difficult is it to open a small business in the DR for an expat? Do you need to be a permanent resident?

dgaulin

Jan 6, 2016
My plan would be a small business that would be a one man operation (me). I currently run a part-time service business installation of audio/video/surveillance equipment in the states. My wife and I are going to live in the DR on a semi-permanent basis in a couple years when we retire and I wanted to work part-time to help defray expenses.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My plan would be a small business that would be a one man operation (me). I currently run a part-time service business installation of audio/video/surveillance equipment in the states. My wife and I are going to live in the DR on a semi-permanent basis in a couple years when we retire and I wanted to work part-time to help defray expenses.

Enough victims of crime in the DR so there should be no shortage in prospects but then again there are already quite some companies doing what you wanna do and they're nationals.
Have you done a market research of the area where you wanna go?

dgaulin

Jan 6, 2016
That's a great question that I've thought about. We plan on purchasing something in Cocotal and I would like to focus on serving U.S. and Canadian homeowners since my Spanish is not great. I know there are plenty homeowners from the states at Cocotal and I'm just guessing they may feel more comfortable working with someone from the states. At least that was my thought, but I could be wrong. My first step was to try to get a mailing list of all Cocotal property owners, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. That's how I've done my market research in the States.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Just start is my advice. If it Goes well you think about paperwork.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
That's a great question that I've thought about. We plan on purchasing something in Cocotal and I would like to focus on serving U.S. and Canadian homeowners since my Spanish is not great. I know there are plenty homeowners from the states at Cocotal and I'm just guessing they may feel more comfortable working with someone from the states. At least that was my thought, but I could be wrong. My first step was to try to get a mailing list of all Cocotal property owners, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. That's how I've done my market research in the States.

Well you might have an advantage being American when trying to get expat clients but I'm pretty sure some Dominican company close with the developers/owners already contacted the possible clients. Off course you have to check it out because I might be wrong. Start with the sales office if you gonna buy there, ask them what kind of contacts they have and if they have done a lot of work in Cocotal already. Don't tell them that you wanna start such a company, just do your due diligence before.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR. If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. It is difficult for a "gringo" to open up a local business but not impossible. If you need to rely on this income to live in the DR than that could be a problem. It may depend where in the DR that you are considering to live. Do you have any Spanish language skills. It is not an easy process. Good luck and good travels.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

.. or "partner-up" with a local (expat) that already has a business...just an idea

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are going to be semi-permanent in the DR it would make sense to be a legal resident, rather than being an illegal immigrant. So the advice to start residency is a good one.

If you need to rely on money from earnings in the DR, I would not recommend the relocation. Have enough to retire, then anything on top is fun money. You will be up against people and competition that you can only imagine, and some you cannot even imagine. Think of it like this. If you do well, it will be recognized and copied, then both of you will do much less well.

Regarding your potential clients? How many homes are there in the area you plan to live?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Well Windeguy, if their would be an american or European electrician, a/c fixer, plumber  would be happy to pay double the price. I finished finally an appartment but what a head-ache they give you.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Any really good tradesman... US/European trained Electrician, Plumber, Car Mechanic can do well here in Santiago....there are plenty of people willing to pay a premium to get work done correctly first time around

Well Windeguy, if their would be an american or European electrician, a/c fixer, plumber  would be happy to pay double the price. I finished finally an appartment but what a head-ache they give you.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
dgualin, you have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR (is very costly and time consuming nor does it guarantee you will qualify) If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. Absolutely NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Better yet.... why don't you just forget about living out your dream one day and just stay home?

Last edited:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
dgualin, you have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR (is very costly and time consuming nor does it guarantee you will qualify) If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. Absolutely NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Better yet.... why don't you just forget about living out your dream one day and just stay home?

Lol, pretty funny. The best way to work here is being attached to a large company stateside. Other wise just do volunteer work.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just simply don't start any company here...you can't afford to be here don't ..don't you will be sorry! You can open pizza joint there are none here ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never recommend to anyone to come to the DR if they need to work in the country and not on line. The odds of finding local gainful employment, or creating a successful new business, are very small. If you find something that does work, it will likely be copied until nobody has enough customers to make money. Save your money and retire here when you are able to do so and do your "work" as a hobby.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
My son was asking me about purchasing a business in the DR or starting a new one. My reply: What are you tired of living a stress free life and making money? You be nuts to start a business there. Just retire and live the life there or elsewhere.