1st time to The Dominican Republic

dada4w

May 31, 2017
Hello everyone, my wife and myself will be making our 1st trip to the Dominican Republic in July. We will be there 2 weeks. It's sort or a business trip that we extended into a mini vacation. We will be in Santo Domingo. Did some research the last few months before finding this page. I WAS excited about visiting Boca Chica(My wife has never left our city, yet alone the country) but I've recently been reading and it seems like it's a place to avoid? I was told that Juan Dolio(sp?) was a better choice. I would love ANY hints/tips/advice/suggestions. Places to go, places to avoid, things to see so that we don't stick out like sore thumbs. Also, I would like to bring Pure White Hennessy back to the states. How does that work? What is a Duty free store?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If your wife has never left your country than I'm pretty sure she will love Boca Chica, don't go on the weekend or at night. You can hang out at the Boat House or at Village on the Beach.
Juan Dolio is also nice, 20 minutes further

dada4w

May 31, 2017
If your wife has never left your country than I'm pretty sure she will love Boca Chica, don't go on the weekend or at night. You can hang out at the Boat House or at Village on the Beach.

Thank you. The only "beach" we're familiar with is Galveston, Tx.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If your wife likes being in a town full of hookers, whoremongers, and drug addicts, she will love Boca Chica. Juan Dolio is a little better, but the beach isn't very good.

dada4w

May 31, 2017
If your wife likes being in a town full of hookers, whoremongers, and drug addicts, she will love Boca Chica. Juan Dolio is a little better, but the beach isn't very good.

That's what I've been hearing.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Why's that Frank? A more moderate way to discover the evil world outside the US seems more apropriate to me.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Also, I would like to bring Pure White Hennessy back to the states. How does that work? What is a Duty free store?

A duty free store is a store at the airport where items such as alcohol and cigarettes are sold without any tax on the price. So in theory things should be a lot cheaper, but often they aren't so much cheaper after the store has tried to rip the traveller off. You can visit the store at the airport when you leave the DR. I don't know if you will be able to buy that Hennessy or not at the airport, but it's best to know the US price so that you can see if the duty free price is cheaper, if they have it.

dada4w

May 31, 2017
A duty free store is a store at the airport where items such as alcohol and cigarettes are sold without any tax on the price. So in theory things should be a lot cheaper, but often they aren't so much cheaper after the store has tried to rip the traveller off. I don't know if you will be able to buy that Hennessy or not at the airport, but it's best to know the US price so that you can see if the duty free price is cheaper, if they have it.
They don't sell it in the US. A friend of mine brought some back from a cruise. I wanted to get some for a party so I went looking for it. That's when I found out it's only sold in the Caribbean.

dada4w

May 31, 2017
I'd recommend checking out Bayahibe. It's about an hour past Boca Chica. Nice little town and the beaches there are very nice, too. There are also ferry trips to Sanoa Island from there.

Thank you....I'm writing all this down in a notebook. I wan't to look like I know what I'm doing when I get off the plane lol

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Also, I would like to bring Pure White Hennessy back to the states. How does that work? What is a Duty free store?

As mentioned the Duty Free store is not always cheaper than prices you will find at local stores in Santo Domingo. Many times the duty free is more. Since you will be in Santo Domingo you can try Drinks2Go liquor store or one of the larger supermarkets with a liquor department. Also upon arrival you can price check the Duty Free for availability and price.

Buy it in town and wrap in a towel to pack in checked bag for return flight. Maybe just my experience but I have never found anything in the duty free I can't get for the same price or less in town.

dada4w

May 31, 2017
As mentioned the Duty Free store is not always cheaper than prices you will find at local stores in Santo Domingo. Many times the duty free is more. Since you will be in Santo Domingo you can try Drinks2Go liquor store or one of the larger supermarkets with a liquor department. Also upon arrival you can price check the Duty Free for availability and price.

Buy it in town and wrap in a towel to pack in checked bag for return flight. Maybe just my experience but I have never found anything in the duty free I can't get for the same price or less in town.

We've been planning this trip since January.....1 day on this forum I've already gotten more good info....thanks! Drinks2Go has officially been entered into my notes.