Never get usa birh certificate back ?

Milagros

Jan 12, 2017
What's this Ive heard about being American, applying for residency and never getting my birth certificate back? Is this a scam of some kind? Is this new policy? All my other friends who've applied for residency have never had this problem. Also the same with getting married. Why are they keeping our birth certificates?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It does not matter what nationality you are, if you hand over your birth certificate for residency, citizenship, marriage, school, university you do not get it back. I suggest you request original copies in the US and keep the very original one you have.
It is not a scam it has always been this way.

Matilda

It does not matter what nationality you are, if you hand over your birth certificate for residency, citizenship, marriage, school, university you do not get it back. I suggest you request original copies in the US and keep the very original one you have.
It is not a scam it has always been this way.

Matilda

Yes, it has always been this way.
Do NOT give them your original birth certificate that was issued when you were born and given to your parents.
Instead, order a certified copy from the state you were born in.
The cost varies by state. New York charges $45 for the BC and $10 to get it apostilled.
I had to get certified birth certificates three times: for Dominican residency, for marriage in the DR, and for Dominican citizenship.