Televisions not allowed on Jet Blue now to DR

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
So, packing my bag with 32-inch television.  Bag weighs too much so thought I would check Jet Blue web site to see what to do.  And, I find this.

"Checked bag requirements for Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, and Peru

Customers checking baggage for travel to/from the following destinations must follow the guidelines below.

Please note that televisions and boxes (as well as televisions in boxes) will not be allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba as set out below."

I have taken tv's several times in the past few years.  No problem.  But, not allowed now.  I called and confirmed.  Glad the prices for tv's there have come down.

(This is for Jet Blue - do not know about other airlines.)

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
So, packing my bag with 32-inch television.  Bag weighs too much so thought I would check Jet Blue web site to see what to do.  And, I find this.

"Checked bag requirements for Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, and Peru

Customers checking baggage for travel to/from the following destinations must follow the guidelines below.

Please note that televisions and boxes (as well as televisions in boxes) will not be allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba as set out below."

I have taken tv's several times in the past few years.  No problem.  But, not allowed now.  I called and confirmed.  Glad the prices for tv's there have come down.

(This is for Jet Blue - do not know about other airlines.)
Thanks for the information

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is the notice dated ??

As of yesterday, from the OP. I just checked and found this, which is the same as above:

Checked bag requirements for Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, and Peru
Please note that televisions and boxes (as well as televisions in boxes) will not be allowed on any international flight except for flights to/from Cuba as set out below

https://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

I found it interesting to note that they had to say televisions in boxes were not allowed, since they already stated no boxes and no televisions, which would preclude televisions in boxes. That is one less option to bring in TVs without getting raped by the local prices. (I suggest getting projectors, by the way.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just spoke to JetBlue. There are no boxes allowed and no televisions can be put on the planes at all to the DR.

They did not have a reason for the change. Stupid is as stupid does.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think Canadians still have no problem bringing TVs on their airlines, so if you don't have a Canadian friend, you can use a freight forwarder.

Anything with a list price of less than $200 US can still get in when shipped by air freight (go figure) for just the shipping weight charges, last I checked a few weeks back. Some deals are to be had for TV's even a bit larger than 32 inches for under $200 US from time to time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
is there thinking behind this new idea? Never liked Jet Blue much as it was. What about Christmas time presents? Wonder it too many were broken in transit and passengers complained. Knee jerk reaction to an problem rather than require proper packing. Uhaul sells really nice boxes for shipping a television at twenty dollars.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
is there thinking behind this new idea? Never liked Jet Blue much as it was. What about Christmas time presents? Wonder it too many were broken in transit and passengers complained. Knee jerk reaction to an problem rather than require proper packing. Uhaul sells really nice boxes for shipping a television at twenty dollars.

Unless you know someone at JetBlue corporate, we will not find out.

American does not allow boxes during "the season" :

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/baggage-limitations.jsp

No idea regarding United, Spirit, etc...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Maybe the beginning of new anti-terrorism measures? You could pack a lot of explosive in a TV set.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I think Canadians still have no problem bringing TVs on their airlines, so if you don't have a Canadian friend, you can use a freight forwarder.

Anything with a list price of less than $200 US can still get in when shipped by air freight (go figure) for just the shipping weight charges, last I checked a few weeks back. Some deals are to be had for TV's even a bit larger than 32 inches for under $200 US from time to time.

You can have a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV for 10 500 at Plaza Lama... a 40 inch Toshiba foir 14k AND if/when they break (living on the coast) you have a guarantee. They fixed 2 televisions for me. I never understood the hazzle and save 70-80 bucks... AND not have any guarantee. My 2 cents

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can have a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV for 10 500 at Plaza Lama... a 40 inch Toshiba foir 14k AND if/when they break (living on the coast) you have a guarantee. They fixed 2 televisions for me. I never understood the hazzle and save 70-80 bucks... AND not have any guarantee. My 2 cents

While TV prices have dropped some in the DR, they have not come close to being the same as in the US for many models and sizes. Many TV's sold in the DR are left overs, refurbished sold as new or just inferior models. Having yours fixed under warranty is somewhat remarkable by DR standards.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wife is planning on bringing one of those new giant flat screen jobs down for Christmas season. We shall see is AA goes along with the new plan.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
While TV prices have dropped some in the DR, they have not come close to being the same as in the US for many models and sizes. Many TV's sold in the DR are left overs, refurbished sold as new or just inferior models. Having yours fixed under warranty is somewhat remarkable by DR standards.

I am sure some of the smaller stores sell "left over" TV:s but I highly doubt that Plaza Lama and the bigger chains sell "left over" premium brands liken LG, Samsung etc. as New... And yeah my experience with Plaza Lama repairs has been great. Very professional. Only con is that you need to go to Santiago.

Jan 9, 2004
I am sure some of the smaller stores sell "left over" TV:s but I highly doubt that Plaza Lama and the bigger chains sell "left over" premium brands liken LG, Samsung etc. as New... And yeah my experience with Plaza Lama repairs has been great. Very professional. Only con is that you need to go to Santiago.

While I am not sure of Plaza Lama's current business model regarding electronics, they were one of the pioneers of selling "refurb" electronics some years ago.....as well as selling lower end brand name electronics.

I went in to buy a TV some years ago and looked at the back plastic casing on the display model....sure enough...stamped in that plastic casing was the word "refurbished." Never bought another thing from them.

AA still allows TV's to be brought in luggage.....for now.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Plaza Lama was one of the main players selling refurb'd TVs for new. Glad it has worked out for you. Going to Santiago would be a huge "con" for me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wife is planning on bringing one of those new giant flat screen jobs down for Christmas season. We shall see is AA goes along with the new plan.

Not gonna happen from what I see today. A giant TV would be both a Box and Oversized.
From the American Airlines site:

What you can’t bring

When traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean or Latin America, you will not be able to travel with:

Overweight items ( more than 70lb/32kgs)
Oversized items
Excess baggage
Boxes**
**A “box” is any container that isn’t normally used for transporting items for air travel; this includes plastic tubs, containers and coolers.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/baggage-limitations.jsp

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I will check Delta some time later to see if they allow televisions in checked baggage. I have had some good Delta flights.  It is just that I have already booked a few Jet Blue flights out a couple months.  They are good from JFK.  Have a Delta flight booked back later in the year - but wrong way DR to US.

Glad I did not get stuck in the airport taking the tv out of my bag.  I wonder how the customs people separate out the Jet Blue bags from the other airlines.  Probably easy, I just don't know.  Thinking of trying to slip it through, of course.  Jjj.