The DR makes the worst places to drive list. Again.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
According to the World Health Organization The Dominican has made the list of the top 15 worst places to drive in the world. We came in at #15 this year with 29.3 deaths per 100,000 people. The worst came in at 73.4 deaths per 100,000 and that honor goes to Libya.
The article I read did not say how they came up with these numbers but my guess is they still rely on reports that are originated by local governments.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Ive one seen worst in Honduras but the driving here is terrible. Hopefully those cable cars will help here in the capital.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Try Panama. They have (or had when I was there several years ago) 5 one way streets going into downtown Panama and none (0) going out. One had to snake around thru residential neighborhoods. They were starting to build their subway system at that time and that may have helped. I don't know.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am staggered that there are not many more accidents : it is quite impossible for most people to text on their cell phone and drive in a straight line at the same time .Between la Romana and SD today there were three dreadful single car accidents ..Surely the car companies can somehow have some device in the car to block signals while the motor is running ..

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am staggered that there are not many more accidents : it is quite impossible for most people to text on their cell phone and drive in a straight line at the same time .Between la Romana and SD today there were three dreadful single car accidents ..Surely the car companies can somehow have some device in the car to block signals while the motor is running ..

That is a good idea. with all the metal in a car it shouldn't be too hard to turn the inside into a Faraday cage.
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not prepared to pay more for a mandated car that blocks cellphone usage when its moving. I find the off button on my phone works really well. Saves battery power too.

Have we not learned yet, you can't effectively legislate against stupid. Those caught using a cell phone while driving should lose their license for a couple of years, forfeit their vehicle and be compelled to watch as their cellphone is broken in half on the spot. These people are too self centred to be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
driving a car has many components, such as dexterity, depth perception, attentiveness, and many others. one important issue is social grace...insofar as it refers to conceding the idea that other people use the road, too. Dominicans do not give a sh1t that other people are on the road. they drive on whatever side they feel like, park where they feel happy, stop in the middle of the road to talk with acquaintances, and generally operate in a completely lawless and adolescent manner. the fact that half the population has not died in road accidents is a mystery.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sure, and in no time every tigre with at least a fascination with cars will figure out a way to find and dismantle that device. Then he makes a living offering his service.

Back to square one!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Back in switzerland for a month or 2 , or 3 :( :(
I cant wait to get back to the dr and not have to respect boring things like lanes, parking places, one-way streets and so on !!!!!
In fact the first thing I'll do is drink a presidente while driving home from the airport :)
And, just because, the next morning, I'll go out on my motorbike and phone my mother, while riding.  Reason # 7 why not to wear a helmet :  its impossible to use a phone properly ;) ;) 
You see, if you can use a phone on a motorbike, its then kids stuff using one while driving a car :) :) :) :)

Marmota

Jul 14, 2017
The truth is I hate driving here and everywhere in general. but lets face it, if you can do it here, you can do it almost everywhere .

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just finished installing new high powered light bar. Old one just too dim. I did not expect it but the super brights make you more noticeable to the motos as you come up on them. Another nice plus is that the whole set up was relatively inexpensive. We upped the regular head light bulbs also. It's like a weapon. Not that I would even consider paying back the hundreds of sobs who have blinded me in the past.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Just finished installing new high powered light bar. Old one just too dim. I did not expect it but the super brights make you more noticeable to the motos as you come up on them. Another nice plus is that the whole set up was relatively inexpensive. We upped the regular head light bulbs also. It's like a weapon. Not that I would even consider paying back the hundreds of sobs who have blinded me in the past.

Please dim to low beams as I approach.......I've almost crashed head on INTO some of those extra high beam cars. They are blinding and extremely disorientating. 
Thanks. 

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'm currently driving over a 1000km each week back and forth to the North Coast from Santo Domingo.

You may not want to agree but the driving standards within the capital are better than outside the capital.

You have less motos for a start and less opportunity to drive at speed but yes still they ignore some basic rules. But once you leave Pedro Brand you enter the wild world and it get progressively worse the further north you go.

The driving standards between Puerto Plata and Gasper Hernandez are the worst without a shadow of a doubt in this country imo.

Sosua to Cabarete is absolute madness and the expats don't help.

The drive over the hills from Sabanete to Moca should be a death trap but somehow the frequent travellers and the folk driving up have greater driving skills than one suspects. Near misses yes but without impacts. The odd gringo becomes the greatest threat through lack of understanding of DR driving and over caution.

Summary. I feel much safer driving in SD than going north on Duarte.