@ sign on a Spanish keyboard

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I give up!  I'm gonna shamefully ask for help.

I purchased a Sony Vaio laptop from Panama for my missus.  It is a Spanish version with Win 10 installed and a Spanish keyboard.

It has the @ sign in the lower right corner of the Q key, but no amount of shift, ctrl, command, alt shift etc works.

Please help!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
right side alt key and its above the 2 key
You might want to check the keyboard locale settings in the keyboard layout pane of the settings center to make sure you have the right layout. The @ is on the '2' key on a Spanish keyboard. Do this: Alt + gr (near the space bar) and the 2 key

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
right side alt key and its above the 2 key
You might want to check the keyboard locale settings in the keyboard layout pane of the settings center to make sure you have the right layout. The @ is on the '2' key on a Spanish keyboard. Do this: Alt + gr (near the space bar) and the 2 key

Ah ha!  It worked thanks.

So why is the @ sign on the Q key?

i never would have worked that out!!!!!!!!!!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Spanish Keyboard with Alt Gr

Ah ha! It worked thanks.

So why is the @ sign on the Q key

i never would have worked that out!!!!!!!!!!

......Typing the @ sign differs on the type keyboard used. Not all Spanish keyboards are the same. Some are "QWERTY" configurations, others the extra symbols are placed on different keys.
......On some keyboards, you'll see that the alt key on the right hand side says alt gr instead. This is the key you'll use when there's a third symbol that you want to type.

es-keyboard.jpg

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
She is one lucky lady. I bought a Sony Vaio in Singapore when I was travelling the world as a diving instructor. I adored it till it died in Juan Dolio. Would have one again in a heart beat.

Matilda

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
......Typing the @ sign differs on the type keyboard used. Not all Spanish keyboards are the same. Some are "QWERTY" configurations, others the extra symbols are placed on different keys.
......On some keyboards, you'll see that the alt key on the right hand side says alt gr instead. This is the key you'll use when there's a third symbol that you want to type.

es-keyboard.jpg

She must have the keyboard regional settings set to the wrong one. Because this is the keyboard she has, but Alt+Gr Q doesn't work, but Alt+Gr 2 does.

Do you happen to know what Windows calls this keyboard configuration?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I didn't know that one either. Thanks, it works too.

I had one for years that had the calculator at the side and one had to do Alt 64, but it didn't work with the numbers across the top of the keyboard, just the number pad at the side. But what I cannot do on my present keyboard which is a basic qwerty is put in accentmarks on top of vowels and the ~ n. I have to write ano for an~o por ejemplo.
Der Fish

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
She must have the keyboard regional settings set to the wrong one. Because this is the keyboard she has, but Alt+Gr Q doesn't work, but Alt+Gr 2 does.

Do you happen to know what Windows calls this keyboard configuration?

If @ is on the same key as the 2 key:
Hold down the shift key while pressing the number 2 key.

If @ is on the same key as the 2 key and there's a third symbol:
Hold down the ctrl + alt keys while pressing the number 2 key.

If @ is on any other key, follow the rules above depending on whether it's a secondary symbol or tertiary symbol.

Changing keyboard config:
For Windows (depending on which Windows OS version);

Go to your Control Panel
Click on "Clock, Language, Region”
Click on "Change Keyboards"
Click "Add" and Select "Spanish-International Sort" or whichever config is available/desired.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Testing alt 164 for ~ alt164 nope on my google chrome book I hit Alt and touch the 1 and it goes to my untitled documents.
But thanks for the suggestion, anyone else have a guess?
Der Fish

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
its not the alt key its the alt gr key to the right of the space bar. english keyboard.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
check your keyboard setting then or use the character map in system tools. ;)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Went through everythingand I don't have that. Grrrrrr I'm getting tired going to google translate in order to get the ñ

You can set your keyboard for English - International Sort and get accents and the tilde very easily. If you don't want to bother with that, and your computer has "sticky notes," just copy the ñ from this post or from yours (Control C) and paste it (Control V) onto a sticky note that stays on your screen. When you need a ñ, copy from the sticky note and paste where you need it.

Very Simple!