Odebrecht scandal

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
ODEBRECHT:No Transparency From the DR Gov with payoffs and bribes

Should this really surprise anyone? You have to remember a line from "Animal Farm" everyone is equal but some are more equal than others. This describes the DR Government officials involved in the Odebr. scandal who never thought they would get caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Now they have pulled another fast one on the public by signing some bogus agreement that allows them to not have to disclose names. Shame on all of you that you that get rich at the public expense but you do not have consistent electrical power, clean water and other essentials accross this Island. We can only assume that this corruption starts at the very top since Medina did not find it important to bring his cronnies to justice. All in all, just another day in paradise.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Actually, what happened is the Attorney General of DR has said all the names of possible bribe acceptors will be released on May 19th.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Some will be thrown to the wolves as sacrificial lambs. I doubt that anyone in Medinas "inner circle" will be involved in this.

You may be right, but I doubt if many of us would have thought the implications of the Odebecht scandal would still be alive and kicking after four months but it is.

Perhaps the international nature of the Odebrect's dishonesty makes it very difficult for those wishing to deflect or suppress news to do so.

Equally the Green Movement is keeping up the pressure for results.....another march today in SFM.

They have been asking for the supposed over valuation of the Odebrecht work to be investigated, and today the PG has asked for an independent audit to see if there has been overvaluation and abuse of public funds. This adds perhaps yet another prong to this investigation.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...determinar-si-hubo-sobrevaluaciones-NM6907359

I am sure too that the Green Movement will continue to demand to hear more about the supposed financing of political campaigns in DR from Brazilian entities including Odebrect next. And more about why Odebrecht moved their 'bribes division' From Brazil to DR.

And we cannot forget that even if some people do get prosecuted, the legal system is such that 'get out of jail cards' may still be used.

But the events this year are ruffling feathers amongst politicos and their entourage, as statements from the Presidents office and this weekends ruling party closed door convention indicate.

This is all new territory perhaps?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I that article:

Government critics hope the silence will break Friday when Odebrecht is expected to reveal the recipients of its bribes in the Dominican Republic under a deal that protected the Brazilian construction company from prosecution and allowed it to keep doing business in the country.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I that article:

Government critics hope the silence will break Friday when Odebrecht is expected to reveal the recipients of its bribes in the Dominican Republic under a deal that protected the Brazilian construction company from prosecution and allowed it to keep doing business in the country.

Hopefully they will also disclose how much each one received to add up to $100 million. That's the only way you can be 100% sure that there aren't any scapegoats or fall guys.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yesterday, they said the names will NOT be revealed on Friday, Today

Yesterday on DR TV, an announcement was made that the names of the corrupt people would not be released on Friday, May 19. Anyone have an update on this?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday on DR TV, an announcement was made that the names of the corrupt people would not be released on Friday, May 19. Anyone have an update on this?

They're stalling.  Today's DR1 news says they will be released, after all the documents are scanned. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

They're stalling.  Today's DR1 news says they will be released, after all the documents are scanned. 

By scanned I presume they mean "read". Then they went out to find someone who can't read. That was just the easy part.