House vs Condo vs Apartment?

Michael Christopher

Mar 18, 2014
I would love to know the forums opinion on House vs Condo vs Apartment?

I am considering buying a primary residence. And using the DR as my home base. I been spending time in the country for the last five years and for me there a sense of peace I found in the world I created here. I still might travel do some contract work in Florida or East Asia.

I have looked at some nice penthouses (only because I love the roof terraces), condo's and homes but would like to hear the pros and cons from people that have more experience than I do on this subject.

I know I don't like the idea of HOA's but they are pretty low compared to California but wow they do have some real nice ones here that makes my single family home look second rate so Its tempting to compromise.

Anyway what you say forum?

Thanks in Advance, I am taking notes 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
HOA?

I had a home in a HOA area once.

Never again.

Just look at posts on a forum, would like to live under the control/harassment of some of these people.

Condos?

When you have it paid for and living on a fixed income, do you really want to have others control how much you need to spend every month on maintenance, which can be increased at any time (After a vote, which you probably will not control)?

... add in the objection to HOA home ownership.

Private Home?

My castle !​

hwk6j6.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Liking roof terraces leads me to believe you like to step outside.

THat removes most apartments , condos from the choice unless a balcony will do.

Independence is key but if you want the ability to come/go.... detached home isn't perfect.

food for thought ---- and your notes !!
I hope

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
HOA?

I had a home in a HOA area once.

Never again.

Just look at posts on a forum, would like to live under the control/harassment of some of these people.

Condos?

When you have it paid for and living on a fixed income, do you really want to have others control how much you need to spend every month on maintenance, which can be increased at any time (After a vote, which you probably will not control)?

... add in the objection to HOA home ownership.

Private Home?

My castle !​

hwk6j6.jpg

IMO, the downside of owning is the constant maintenance and repair bills. This isnt USA so homes here are more like cars, in some cases after just a year you slowly start replacing/repairing things. The construction here has no standards, poorly built, poor quality materials, poor engineering.
The benefits of a condo over a house: Better security and less chance of being affected by floods from rain. Both the aforementioned benefits if you are not on ground floor level.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
IMO, the downside of owning is the constant maintenance and repair bills. This isnt USA so homes here are more like cars, in some cases after just a year you slowly start replacing/repairing things. The construction here has no standards, poorly built, poor quality materials, poor engineering.
The benefits of a condo over a house: Better security and less chance of being affected by floods from rain. Both the aforementioned benefits if you are not on ground floor level.

Our house in the D.R. is at the top of the hill,
We get rain drops, everyone below us gets rain water.

2qkhsw0.jpg

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I own a condo and when you are there and its complete its a wonderful thing. But you have to think of the time when you are not there. How will it be managed? Things do go wrong and the water takes its toll. I went thru an ac unit in like 7 years the case just rotted. Two water leaks in the wall. Yes DR construction is loco. Seems I have to spend the first couple of days always fixing or cleaning. Its great to have a place somewhere else with all you property in it. Just jump on a plane with the minimum and go. My carry on was searched by Customs and I was detained on the way in to the US because they were suspicious that I had no luggage. LOL it was only a moment. I have heard that it is difficult to make money there off real estate. It is said you never get what you put into it on the resale. As far as renting goes remember DR people vacation and party. some party more than others and you may have so work to do after they get thru renting. Location is critical once you drop anchor lifting it is tough. If you do decide to buy make sure you are where you want to be. Whatever you decide being reasonable with the price, something that is easy to maintain, where you want to be, is the way to go. Hard to say what is best everyone is different. do I regret buying my place no. I just wish I was there more.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Not having an HOA seems like that would limit your options to a single family free standing house, not in a gated community. That doesn't sound like a road I would want to go down but if I lived there full time and spoke fluent spanish I might feel differently. I would sugest buying a condo with terrace as close to the beach as you can afford.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You do not mention where you would like to live... the Dominican Republic is a big country. 

You do not mention the members of your family... if you have children, locating near the school is to be considered. Having a garden is wonderful for a family and for keeping pets. 

In Santo Domingo, any problems dealing with a HOA (gated community home or apartment) are offset when not having to deal with your own security in a house. Security now is a key issue in the Dominican Republic. But I know many who live in Casa de Campo and Punta Cana gated communities who leave their doors open, the way it used to be in the DR. If you go for an apartment, neither will you have to deal with propane gas, or the power plant, the water pump, etc. 

There are some good buys to be had in Santo Domingo if you have time to search, including good roof top apartments. Know of two friends who grabbed their new apartments off divorcing couples at very good prices. 

By the way, condo and apartment are the same here. 

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For me a condo seemed more secure rather than a house but that is in Santo Domingo. We are looking on the East coast and again I am leaning toward a condo. I also like not having the upkeep on the outside as I would with a house. But everyone's situation is different.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Liking roof terraces leads me to believe you like to step outside.

THat removes most apartments , condos from the choice unless a balcony will do.

Independence is key but if you want the ability to come/go.... detached home isn't perfect.

food for thought ---- and your notes !!
I hope

I will just post separately. I don't really mean to rebut what you say. People here will think I am arguing with you : )

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There are many many incredible roof top terraces with condos in the two places we are most frequently. You have to buy on the top floor.

We are currently in a "penthouse" with a great rooftop terrace. Not an expensive place either. This one is not well landscaped but great potential. The key is privacy. Many have jaccuzzi, kitchen, etc. We looked at one in PC Village recently with this. But, not much privacy. Not a good thing that.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Apartment with a rooftop terrace is the best of both worlds. Have patience and look and you may find a jewel if you are looking for a city dwelling. 

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Talk to the Bird... the Big one

He lives high above the rest of us 

And Franco.... a penthouse roof would be my choice 

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Talk to the Bird... the Big one

He lives high above the rest of us 

And Franco.... a penthouse roof would be my choice 

This place is good. The other night we watched a killer fireworks show that was at one of the hotels nearby. From the rooftop terrace. My wife, from La Romana, thought it was gun fire at first and would not go outside. I laugh. But for her of course it is not a laughing matter. Later she came out.

But, remember also it is best to run a water line to the terrace. To water the plants, trees, etc. If you have privacy. This one doesn't have enough, but it is low season and there are no loud neighbors.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This place is good. The other night we watched a killer fireworks show that was at one of the hotels nearby. From the rooftop terrace. My wife, from La Romana, thought it was gun fire at first and would not go outside. I laugh. But for her of course it is not a laughing matter. Later she came out.

But, remember also it is best to run a water line to the terrace. To water the plants, trees, etc. If you have privacy. This one doesn't have enough, but it is low season and there are no loud neighbors.

(And a drain of course. And make sure the roof can hold the weight of whatever - jaccuzzi, kitchen, trees.)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
And when life becomes too much to bear....

Sayonara..... swan dive to eternity.....

My new property is directly above the cemetery.... just a short trip down