Barcelo Dominican Beach Sale Based on Erosion?

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I thought it was a little odd when most large hotel chains are buying and building new resorts in Punta Cana that Barcelo decided to sell one of theirs. Now that Sunscape Bavaro Beach is open (the company who bought the resort from Barcelo) it appears that maybe Barcelo knew their property was about to be seriously damaged by beach erosion. To ward off erosion Sunscape has forced to basically ruin their beach with massive bags of sand in an attempt to slow down erosion which is just a few feet from their snack cafe.
8jcjiiyFiaZE7jgz5

w9T4tYSF3P4Co2mNA

XNr73EaXPNzM1UCL9

Has Sunscape made any statments on why they are doing this, what they hope it will acomplish and how long it will take?
What an eye sore.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
That's amazing. All  that effort will not stop the erosion. Rip rap and armour stone would slow down the process or relocate the problem to another area. Either way, it's going to be an eyesore and restrict access to the beach. You can work with nature but you can't fight it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Unfortunately Balicana will also be forced to relocate again. They're also too close to the shoreline. I hope they survive another hurricane season.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I thought it was a little odd when most large hotel chains are buying and building new resorts in Punta Cana that Barcelo decided to sell one of theirs. Now that Sunscape Bavaro Beach is open (the company who bought the resort from Barcelo) it appears that maybe Barcelo knew their property was about to be seriously damaged by beach erosion. To ward off erosion Sunscape has forced to basically ruin their beach with massive bags of sand in an attempt to slow down erosion which is just a few feet from their snack cafe.
8jcjiiyFiaZE7jgz5

w9T4tYSF3P4Co2mNA

XNr73EaXPNzM1UCL9

Has Sunscape made any statments on why they are doing this, what they hope it will acomplish and how long it will take?
What an eye sore.

I could be wrong but I think Barcelo is closing all their resorts in the DR.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Dulce, I wouldn't be surprised. However, the Hotel Embajador is now under the Barceló group (Royal Hideaway hotel). Also the Barceló Punta Cana is now called Occidental Caribe which is also under the Barceló group. Although some of their properties in the DR have been renovated, for the most part they are a bit rundown. I have stayed at some of the properties and enjoyed my stays in the past. Haven't been lately though.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
This is what they look like from SPACE!

That would be very surprising to me since some of them are new-ish.

Actually the only really "new" one would be Barceló Palace/Deluxe. I stayed there when it first opened as the Palace Deluxe. Before the second phase of construction that made it into the mega resort it is now. They had renovated half of the Barceló Punta Cana prior to it being changed to Occidental Caribe.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dulce, I wouldn't be surprised. However, the Hotel Embajador is now under the Barceló group (Royal Hideaway hotel). Also the Barceló Punta Cana is now called Occidental Caribe which is also under the Barceló group. Although some of their properties in the DR have been renovated, for the most part they are a bit rundown. I have stayed at some of the properties and enjoyed my stays in the past. Haven't been lately though.

Interesting because the first 2 times I went to JD I stayed at the Occidental  which then became Barceló Capella. I stayed at Capella too many times to count over the years.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
You are very wrong.

Did Barceló buy or merge with Occidental? Or was Occidental always a part of Barceló? Just curious as I was surprised when Barceló Punta Cana changed names. Is this more of a rebranding? As that said I always enjoyed the Barceló Punta Cana in the past. One of the few hotels with many rooms having a beautiful ocean view. They did a renovation on some of the property but not all buildings. Wish they would do more renovations. The hotel is a perfect size, not too big or small.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Imagine if the courts rule that new owners have to pay for all the land stolen by Barceló...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

...stayed at the Sunscape...Playa Dorado, several times last few years....It got a total redo last year. very nice....Doc.....

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
In Playa Dorada now. Got here yesterday. I'm amazed. Flights are still full from Canada, Germany, etc. Judging by my beach walk this morning, the resorts are doing okay despite it being early June. The Azul private condo complex has more added capacity and are now offering short and long term rentals. Maybe a sign the recession is finally over. 

The drive from the airport was uneventful, no close calls, and on new pavement. The side walks I ran on this morning along the main road are repaired. Maybe the North Coast is finally getting the political attention it needs. Go Danilo Go!

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
8jcjiiyFiaZE7jgz5

w9T4tYSF3P4Co2mNA

XNr73EaXPNzM1UCL9

What an eye sore.

Yeah that looks horrible. I wouldnt stay there. I stayed there before when it was Barcelo Dominican beach

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
...stayed at the Sunscape...Playa Dorado, several times last few years....It got a total redo last year. very nice....Doc.....
If I booked a vacation at Sunscape Dominican Beach and saw those on the beach when I arrived I would be pretty p-ssd off. Fortunetly I just spent $50 on a day pass.