Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone take their girlfriend to USA for marriage and stay?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can someone take their girlfriend to USA for marriage and stay?

Question: Can someone take their Dominican girlfriend on a tourist Visa to USA, get marriage while there, and stay?

And, can they stay in America on their Tourist Visa after they get married while they wait for there Green Card?

Frank

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    Question: Can someone take their Dominican girlfriend on a tourist Visa to USA, get marriage while there, and stay?

And, can they stay in America on their Tourist Visa after they get married while they wait for there Green Card?

Frank
    Yes. Once in the US, after getting married, they would file for a change of status. It takes a few months, and they can wait in the US while it is being processed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Likes frank12, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRdreaming View Post
    Yes. Once in the US, after getting married, they would file for a change of status. It takes a few months, and they can wait in the US while it is being processed.

Thanks for the answer!

Frank

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It would probably facilitate the process if the marriage would take place in the D.R. prior to traveling to the U.S.

6. Dislikes Jeepito disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    It would probably facilitate the process if the marriage would take place in the D.R. prior to traveling to the U.S.
    Other than having to translate the marriage certificate if the wedding takes place in DR, there is no difference. The same form is filed, and the waiting period is the same. While awaiting residency, the spouse may also file for employment authorization, and receive their social security number, allowing them to work.

8. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post

Frank
    This is very risky, especially right now with the current view in the US on illegal immigration. You will be violating the terms of your tourist visa by getting married and overstaying the visa.

While people have gotten away with it in the past, your girlfriend is risking deportation and never being able to get a visa to the US again. USCIS has a K1 Visa that is intended for exactly what you want to do. Contact an immigration attorney before you do this.

10. Likes La Rubia liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    This is very risky, especially right now with the current view in the US on illegal immigration. You will be violating the terms of your tourist visa by getting married and overstaying the visa.

While people have gotten away with it in the past, your girlfriend is risking deportation and never being able to get a visa to the US again. USCIS has a K1 Visa that is intended for exactly what you want to do. Contact an immigration attorney before you do this.
    You are not violating the terms of your tourist visa by getting married. And you are not overstaying your tourist visa if you have filed for a change of status. USCIS has very clear instructions on how to complete this process.

And yes, this advise was given to a me by an immigration attorney.

12. Likes sanpedrogringo, jstarebel, jd426, Jeepito liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not violating the terms of your tourist visa by getting married. And you are not overstaying your tourist visa if you have filed for a change of status. USCIS has very clear instructions on how to complete this process.

Not a good idea at all and, like I said, risky under the current views on illegal immigration. Think about it - if it were completely legal, there would be no need for the K1 fiancee visa.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter1-5.html

14. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Dislikes Jeepito disliked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Such an act is committing visa fraud.

16. Likes curlando, trustquest liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case, said "immigration attorney" is a party to immigration fraud...

18. Likes trustquest liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast