YouTube Videos In The DR

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Can anybody explain why certain YouTube videos which can be viewed in the US, can not be viewed in the Dominican Republic? Specifically, music videos. Occasionally, some videos show a screen of static, and state that "This Content Is Not Available In Your Region or Viewing Area." Yes, I understand what that means, but my question is more in the direction of who makes that call, or holds the controls on that content. YouTube? The Dominican Republic? And what would be the reason? Thanks.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Also, it's not just limited to my use of a computer in the DR, but when I send YouTube clips via WhatsApp Stateside to the DR, they are sometimes unable to be opened by the receivers. Only YouTube content is the problem/concern. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Have you ever heard of geolocation restrictions?

The owner of video (uploaded) sets geolocation restrictions and YouTube enforces them.

Reason? Rights.

Use a smartDns or VPN.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
No guarantee but try downloading Hot Spot Shield which hides your I.P. address. That might do the trick.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One's location can be leaked in several places. Of course the IP address being resolved to a particular country but your browser can leak your location, cookies left behind when using software that needs your location to function properly, such as Skype, facebook, google (google is one of the worst - in that even from behind a vpn you can still get the Spanish version of google maps) and there are others.

Even Windows itself can be the problem. One has to ensure that all software and their OS has geolocation disabled and you need to wipe your cookies (persistent or otherwise) frequently. If your account profile for any google app is configured to reflect the DR, then all of google know that you are located int he DR despite what country your IP resolves to. I think google still owns Youtube, but I could be wrong.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have one browser (Chrome) set to my default DR Claro IP, and another browser (Firefox) set to my paid US high-speed proxy IP.

Works great. If I get a "this video is restricted" error, I just copy the URL from one browser and paste it in my US IP, and bingo!

For instance, when I try to buy from Newegg or a couple of other shops with my DR IP, the order is rejected. But when I use my US IP, no problema.

I also find airfares are generally cheaper with my DR IP, more expensive with my US IP.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I have one browser (Chrome) set to my default DR Claro IP, and another browser (Firefox) set to my paid US high-speed proxy IP.

Works great. If I get a "this video is restricted" error, I just copy the URL from one browser and paste it in my US IP, and bingo!

For instance, when I try to buy from Newegg or a couple of other shops with my DR IP, the order is rejected. But when I use my US IP, no problema.

I also find airfares are generally cheaper with my DR IP, more expensive with my US IP.

is that high speed proxy the same as a vpn?
and do you care to link us so i can buy it too?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
is that high speed proxy the same as a vpn?
and do you care to link us so i can buy it too?
There are free proxies but they are slow and most are blocked by distribution servers..

We use high-speed proxies to primarily watch sports, especially college football. Most networks, ESPN included, don't allow international connections so a high-speed proxy gets around that restriction.

There are numerous paid proxies available. We use Ghost Proxies Which buys us 10 proxy IP's for $29 a month.

Their service is good. We've had no problems at all and have yet to be blocked by distribution servers.

I don't have much VPN knowledge.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
There are free proxies but they are slow and most are blocked by distribution servers..

We use high-speed proxies to primarily watch sports, especially college football. Most networks, ESPN included, don't allow international connections so a high-speed proxy gets around that restriction.

There are numerous paid proxies available. We use Ghost Proxies Which buys us 10 proxy IP's for $29 a month.

Their service is good. We've had no problems at all and have yet to be blocked by distribution servers.

I don't have much VPN knowledge.

Thank you!!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A simple explanation of the difference:

Proxies receive your data and forward it on as if the proxy itself is making the request. The receiving site sees the request as coming from the proxy server itself not your computer and sends the reply to the proxy. The proxy then maps the response back to the real originating computer, in this case you and relays the data.

A VPN assigns you a temporary IP address and setups up an encrypted tunnel between your system and the VPN. The VPN server decrypts your data stream and forwards your request to the destination as if it originated from the assigned IP address. Data being returned to the temporarily issued IP address is received by the VPN server, encrypted and then forwarded back to you.

The big difference, VPNs prevent your ISP and other intermediate pass-through systems from determining the specific nature of your traffic. It's all encrypted and looks the same, whether you are streaming netflix, downloading barnyard fun and games videos or doing your banking. This is advantageous with ISPs who throttle data speed for people downloading torrents or playing games for example. Your ISP still knows you are sending data, it just can't determine what type of data it is so they don't know whether or not to throttle or block it.

Both a VPN and a Proxy can present a return path in a different country so both can be used to get around geolocation blocks provided that the content provider hasn't specifically blocked a particular proxy or set of VPN IP addresses.

Last edited: