puertoplata airport

g.broome

Mar 8, 2002
i have been told that it can be quite difficult trying to avoid having
youre luggage carried for you by locals and then being asked for large amounts of money i would be greatful of any advice of how to avoid this happening

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Say no thank you. If they grab your luggage, ask them to please put it down. If they start to walk with it, do not follow. They will not know where to go if you don't go with them. They will not go more than a few feet away without you.

Or, let ONE person handle your luggage. Tell the others "only him". Pay US$1-2 per bag, same as you would pay a sky cap in the USA. The only time you will need help with your bags (more than 20feet of movement distance) is AFTER passing through customs.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Was in PP the end of Jan. They seemed to have fixed this on going problem again. After passing through the doors NO ONE approached me or attempted to grab luggage. After finding our ride, the cabbie got 1 handler per person to assist. No big deal, although some years this wasn't the case.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am regularly at PoP airport &see the baggage handlers trying to "JUMP" on an unsuspecting tourist to book their place in taking the bags some 50 or 60 yards to the bus. Yes, they 'demand' US $5 or US $10, sometimes more. IF you accept their help, pay them only what YOU consider is fair but always explain why with a smile!!
As Jim says - Say NO (again, with a smile) & continue to be firm if they try to force themselves on you. If they persist, call one of the policemen across to move the handler away or find one of the hardpressed tour company reps to assist you get rid of the guy. Generally this is not necessary.
Have a great time at Coconut Palms, it is a very tranquil place but DO get down to Cabarete, especially for the night life on the beach. - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Grahame: For shame!!

"....DO get down to Cabarete, especially for the night life."

Lead them not into temptation, Lord!!

Deliver them from evil!!

HEHEHEHE

HB

teachNY

Mar 9, 2002
POP airport taxis

We're going to the Karisma Villas del Mar in a couple of weeks, but do not have transfers included in our package. Any recommendations about taxis at the airport? I've heard some horror stories.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hillbilly said:
Grahame: For shame!!

"....DO get down to Cabarete, especially for the night life."

Lead them not into temptation, Lord!!

Deliver them from evil!!

HEHEHEHE

HB

You malign me HB - what I had in mind about the Vibrant night life was the beach restauants, the youngsters dancing & enjoying themselves (oh to be 22 again with the knowledge we have today!!!!).

Anything else of a less than 'innocent' nature that goes on there is totally foreign to me - I am such an innocent myself & like you, true to one only!! Maybe you were referring to the Presidentes, Barcelo mixes, 151 & mamajuana??? Again, I never let that stuff touch my lips!!!! - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BB: Far be it for me to maligh thee....

but to steer those innocents towards the wiles of Cabarete, the Gomorrah of the North Shore......hehehe

Yeah, to be 22 and know what we know now!!

All the best Grahame...

HB, going to Playa Grande tomorrow!!!!