Making the move

mykulairon

Jul 14, 2012
So I've been visiting the island for the last five years and (on average I stay for about a month every time I go) but as we all know, visiting conditions are not the same as normal living conditions. My reason for writing this is that I've been noticing more and more lately the difference in my wife's moral when in the states vs when In the DR. It's like i only get to see the woman i fell in love with for 3 weeks out of the year! I'm ready to make this move because i need for her to be happy again did that i can be happy again. So My questions are:

1) What is your average monthly bill total for basic necessities including food and gas?

2) Random question; where can i buy real gym equipment?

3) Is Car insurance worth it? Any Taxes on car? Is there an import discount on cars for citizens returning to the country to live?

Don't everyone answer all at once now haha

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
So I've been visiting the island for the last five years and (on average I stay for about a month every time I go) but as we all know, visiting conditions are not the same as normal living conditions. My reason for writing this is that I've been noticing more and more lately the difference in my wife's moral when in the states vs when In the DR. It's like i only get to see the woman i fell in love with for 3 weeks out of the year! I'm ready to make this move because i need for her to be happy again did that i can be happy again. So My questions are:

1) What is your average monthly bill total for basic necessities including food and gas?

3) Is Car insurance worth it? Any Taxes on car? Is there an import discount on cars for citizens returning to the country to live?

The only true answer is Depends. The average Dominican family probably lives on $500.00 per month, but I couldn't For a couple without kids living frugally call it $1200 to $1500. I would say. Don't know gym equipment my self.
Car insurance just like back in the USA is obligatory. Don't leave home without it. Taxes and costs of importing a car are quite complicated and I'll let others answer that, except to say even though cars are higher that you can imagine in the DR you'll probably come out better buying one when you get there instead of trying to bring your own.
PS the word you were looking for is probably morale. Unless she is really less moral in the USA than on the island.
Der Fish

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Quite a few years ago, when we were just two persons, and I had recently moved to the DR, we managed with about 70k DOP monthly, but with a rent of only 8k DOP, but it was not really fun...

As Derfish says above, it depends on what kind of lifestyle you have. We've never had A/C, I enjoy the local food (not imported) and we never lived outside of good barrios, so those costs do not really compare to the ones if you want A/C in all bedrooms and live in a residencial. I would also factor in health insurance and if anyone in the household is studying.

We're currently 4 people, so the level of monthly income I feel comfortable with, has risen quite a bit.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I've been noticing more and more lately the difference in my wife's moral when in the states vs when In the DR. It's like i only get to see the woman i fell in love with for 3 weeks out of the year! I'm ready to make this move because i need for her to be happy again did that i can be happy again. So My questions are:

The question is: once you move and your wife is not in that "vacation/worry free mood" and deal with the daily frustrations of living in DR (everywhere has it own frustrations, so not unique to DR), will she be happy ?

Good luck in your move and wish you happiness !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll throw in my two cents. I agree with Africaida. Why?

I'm married to a Dominican for 40 years. We've had a home there for over 30 years. We spent 2-3 weeks a year in DR for decades, he was always anxious to go and sad to leave. He was joyous there, and a bit down to come home to US. About 10-12 years ago, we started coming for a month at a time. Same thing. Then he added a month unpaid leave, and we stayed two months for a couple of years. Well that was the magic number. Once we retired and started coming there 3-4+ months at a time, the honeymoon was over. He's disgusted with most aspects of life in DR. Once we hit the 3rd month each year, he wants to go home. [I asked him last year before our trip if he was happy to be going home, and he gave me a puzzled look and said "This is home", meaning NJ]. He's tired of everyone trying to rip him off, tired of the electrical issues, tired of something breaking every day, tired of the food, tired of the quality of things he buys that soon break, tired of no AC when the electricity goes off, tired of the mosquitos, just tired of DR life.

It's a whole different story when you live somewhere.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

If you pm me I'll give you a contact for the gym equipment.
For the rest, think twice. ;)

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Have you asked the Mrs. what would make her happy? Not what you believe may be the solution, but what would make her happy. Just asking from experience.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Can you please be a bit more clear on the wifey thing? Is she happy when she comes here, or does she live here permanently?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Have you asked the Mrs. what would make her happy? Not what you believe may be the solution, but what would make her happy. Just asking from experience.

Ageed. Sometimes all it takes to make her happy is try a little harder to make her happy.

HwnRadioMon

Jun 25, 2017
All well-intentioned marriage counseling advice aside: It sounds mykulairon as if your wife experiences the typical holiday-free-from-the-stress-and-worries-of-everyday-to-day-living bliss that quickly disappears when the drudgeries and routines of the "real world" return. As everyone here will remind all DR residency aspirants and as it is famously said: Living somewhere is a whole other world and experience from merely visiting somewhere. Having said that I personally have very much enjoyed living in many places even more than I enjoyed merely visiting them. It's really ALL about what one really wants most out of life, how adaptable, easy-going, and flexible one is.

It has been my personal experience through several years of expat life in various countries that if one is the type who is inclined to enjoy adventures, go with the flow, roll with the punches, appreciate, and accept a place for what it is and not in comparison to what one has left behind - one has a pretty good chance of finding happiness in a new country.

I've been happy in all the countries I've had the distinct pleasure to have lived in - including the U.S. and I look very much forward to the next!

HwnRadioMon

Jun 25, 2017
mykulairon: Being that it's now been five years since this post - how has it turned out for you and your wife? Did you make the move to the DR? Has it been good?

Jan 17, 2009
The post was made on June 18, 2017.  If you think it's a five-year old post, you're looking at the month/year he became a member.

mykulairon: Being that it's now been five years since this post - how has it turned out for you and your wife? Did you make the move to the DR? Has it been good?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

One can move from outstate North Dakota to Minneapolis to Chicago and then to Miami and back to Des Moines Iowa to please a wife and it still doesn't help. My brother did. The problem is wherever you go there you are.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I used to own a gym, and the only place that I found that sells good equipment is Seinel, they are based in Santiago. They have a big warehouse, import used equipment from the U.S. and then recondition it. All the good names and a very good selection. Gregorio runs the place, and they give a good guarantee.

http://seinel.net is the website.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

In addition to the like and dislike there should be a third choice something like: HUH?????????? Glad ExpatinCabarete figured it out. Some of these posts are so baffling!

Last edited:

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I'll throw in my two cents. I agree with Africaida. Why?

I'm married to a Dominican for 40 years. We've had a home there for over 30 years.  spent 2-3 weeks a year in DR for decades, he was always anxious to go and sad to leave. He was joyous there, and a bit down to come home to US. About 10-12 years ago, we started coming for a month at a time. Same thing. Then he added a month unpaid leave, and we stayed two months for a couple of years. Well that was the magic number. Once we retired and started coming there 3-4+ months at a time, the honeymoon was over. He's disgusted with most aspects of life in DR. Once we hit the 3rd month each year, he wants to go home. [I asked him last year before our trip if he was happy to be going home, and he gave me a puzzled look and said "This is home", meaning NJ]. He's tired of everyone trying to rip him off, tired of the electrical issues, tired of something breaking every day, tired of the food, tired of the quality of things he buys that soon break, tired of no AC when the electricity goes off, tired of the mosquitos, just tired of DR life.

It's a whole different story when you live somewhere.
I could not better explain my feelings about being in DR . I am tired of mostly everything here and only stay as long I have to. Thats do not mean I think living in Miami is like living in paradise, but at least most things are "normal" Here in DR I feel it is nearly impossible to live what I call a "normal" live. The reasons are exaxtly how you describe the feelings of your friend

HwnRadioMon

Jun 25, 2017
Thanks, Expat-In-Cabarete: I saw that "Join Date" designation later. As I don't yet have full access for some reason (perhaps because I am using a Chromebook on a weak and fluctuatin WiFi where the page does not load properly - or because I am a newbie) many of the normal features were not working on my browser. I still can't access many of the features.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
What Africaida and AlterEgo said. My wife was a proud and happy Dominicana, and loved visiting her friends and relatives here. However the longer we stayed here the more anxious she was to get back home, where, the lights always worked, there was always water (no bomba necessary), the shower was always warm, and you never needed to use the same paint bucket (to shower) you used to flush the toilet. The only friends and family she had that weren't envious of her were the ones who also had the same opportunity to leave when they wanted, and practically all of them only visited the island paradise. You should give your wife an opportunity to stay longer and see how it works out.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks, Expat-In-Cabarete: I saw that "Join Date" designation later. As I don't yet have full access for some reason (perhaps because I am using a Chromebook on a weak and fluctuatin WiFi where the page does not load properly - or because I am a newbie) many of the normal features were not working on my browser. I still can't access many of the features.

Full access is after 10 posts then one can send PMs etc. and after 500 posts one can join in what is known as Off Topic. Which is going thru growing pains at present.
Der Fish