Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Here ! Need Advice

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abuela View Post
    Noted in your original post,your destination is Infiniti Blue which is in Sosua not Puerto Plata. When agreeing on the price of a taxi ride its important to give the correct destination to avoid overcharge. Safe travels.
    Great advice!!! You all are so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I used to do that run quite a bit. I'd charge $60 or so for the 60 mile trip no matter what hour of the day or night. But i am no longer in the country. My recommendation is to take a taxi to the nearest Cabana. Which will cost you 600 pesos to get there. They are mostly for illicit sexual encounters, but for about 500 pesos for 4 hour you can stay until morning. Arrange for the taxi to pick you up 4 hours later when the buses are running and have him take you to the closest of the two Caribe Tours bus stations. Your hotel should have free service to pick you up from the Puerto Plata Caribe Tours bus station.
    Der Fish
    Excellent advice, apart from the unnecessary mention of "illicit sexual encounters" which could only serve to alarm the OP. But otherwise very practical and economical.

Note to OP: Cabanas are clean and comfortable with good security. So are Caribe Tours and Metro buses. No need to pay through the nose for a taxi.

3. Likes sanpedrogringo, wuarhat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sanpedrogringo View Post
    I'll take the bait.
    1. Don't travel at night.
    2. Don't rent a car.
    3. Don't use Uber.
    4. Yes, stay in Santiago that 1st night, because, see #1. Somebody here will be able to recommend a good place to stay in la Segunda Capital (Santiago).
    5. Somebody here, can recommend public transport or a taxi company which can take you from Santiago to Infiniti Blu.
    6. Mistakes and accidents happen, but be careful here on out, because you're traveling to a foreign country. You need to be on point with things. Even the small, annoying things.
    7. Be careful.
    8. Have fun.
    9. Stay safe.
    I agree with most of what you wrote but "don't use Uber " Get a taxi? I would strongly disagree with this advice. I live in Santiago and since my truck is in the shop until i recently rented a vehicle I was using UBER and overall the experience was very good. I even had 2 regular taxi drivers but why pay double? The Uber cars are all very clean late model cars and you know up front how much you will pay. IMHO Uber is SOOOOO much better than taxi service in this country.

5. Likes JDJones, jinty05, Harleysrock liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I agree with most of what you wrote but "don't use Uber " Get a taxi? I would strongly disagree with this advice. I live in Santiago and since my truck is in the shop until i recently rented a vehicle I was using UBER and overall the experience was very good. I even had 2 regular taxi drivers but why pay double? The Uber cars are all very clean late model cars and you know up front how much you will pay. IMHO Uber is SOOOOO much better than taxi service in this country.
    See Post #16 and 20. You've had boots on the ground for a while. This is a first time visitor, who already had a slight problem booking a flight.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be a little strong, but some would consider extra marital encounters illicit so the word works. No self respecting cabana would be without a few of them. He did recommend using one.
    Illicit?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

See Post #16 and 20. You've had boots on the ground for a while. This is a first time visitor, who already had a slight problem booking a flight.
    I understand what you are saying but not sure you are better off with Taxi drivers. I have come very close to physical altercations numerous times in the past, especially in the capitol when they thought because of my gringo accent they could over charge me. I would insist they call dispatch (which they did NOT like) and 95% of the time I was correct on the cost of the trip. Uber not only lets you know pretty much up front but also has GPS so the customer's phone records shows exactly where they went.
    Am I missing something that leads you to believe the Cab drivers are better/safer?

9. Likes TexasGirl2Dr liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I understand what you are saying but not sure you are better off with Taxi drivers. I have come very close to physical altercations numerous times in the past, especially in the capitol when they thought because of my gringo accent they could over charge me. I would insist they call dispatch (which they did NOT like) and 95% of the time I was correct on the cost of the trip. Uber not only lets you know pretty much up front but also has GPS so the customer's phone records shows exactly where they went.
    Am I missing something that leads you to believe the Cab drivers are better/safer?
    It's a matter of Taxis being a bit better organized in my opinion and can and should be taken from the Taxi stand at the airports. The same can be said for Uber drivers as far as altercations go. I can give you many stories. It's only advice and the OP should weigh all opinions very carefully.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    It's a matter of Taxis being a bit better organized in my opinion and can and should be taken from the Taxi stand at the airports. The same can be said for Uber drivers as far as altercations go. I can give you many stories. It's only advice and the OP should weigh all opinions very carefully.
    I live here in Santiago. I recommend Uber. Taxi drivers are going to over charge you
    and you will end up paying more with no one to hear your complaints. At least with Uber
    you have the option to leave a customer experience review which, for better or worse,
    will have an impact on the drivers ability to earn a living.

12. Likes USA DOC, Garyexpat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh I did not have a problem booking the flight the airline ONLY flys to Santiago so I figured I would stay there but my folks want to go where the water is and that's in Sousa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

OP, I only mentioned slight problem because in your opening post you stated, "We mistakinglt booked our Flint to fly into Santiago". It sounded like a slight problem, but hey, no problem. As far as which transportation option you decide to choose, you'll receive many good suggestions here, and it's ultimately up to you. I do think that most of us would agree that traveling at night is a no-no, so many here will also be able to steer you in the direction of a decent hotel in Santiago.
    For the Uber vs taxi discussion, if members want to discuss it further in PM's, or on one of the many Uber threads, I'd be happy to, but I don't want the OP's thread to go off in a different direction.

16. Likes TexasGirl2Dr liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast