New Here ! Need Advice

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
Hello DR1 Fam!

I'm a Tex's girl that will be visiting Puerto Plata in Jan but wanted to get a head start on the planning. We mistakinglt booked our Flint to fly into Santiago 😳 And would like info on the following 

: should we travel to Puerto Plata at night? Our flight lands after midnight in Santiago 

: should we rent a car or get an Uber r other means of public transportation 

: if we stay in Santiago, what's a good clean up to date Hotel to stay for a night?

:We will be staying at Infiniti Blu (any advice for us regarding this place)?

Thanks for all the help guys hopefully things will go snooothly for us being that we booked the wrong airport 😂 

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Plenty of good hotels in Santiago, I would just hire a professional taxi. It's gonna be around 100 dollars and take about an hour and a half. Grab a beer for the ride and chillax.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I'll take the bait.
1. Don't travel at night.
2. Don't rent a car.
3. Don't use Uber.
4. Yes, stay in Santiago that 1st night, because, see #1. Somebody here will be able to recommend a good place to stay in la Segunda Capital (Santiago).
5. Somebody here, can recommend public transport or a taxi company which can take you from Santiago to Infiniti Blu.
6. Mistakes and accidents happen, but be careful here on out, because you're traveling to a foreign country. You need to be on point with things. Even the small, annoying things.
7. Be careful.
8. Have fun.
9. Stay safe.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Plenty of good hotels in Santiago, I would just hire a professional taxi. It's gonna be around 100 dollars and take about an hour and a half. Grab a beer for the ride and chillax.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have stayed at Via Emilia a few times when I had a late flight. It's a small guest house. Very clean, nice owner. The room rate includes breakfast, and the owner can arrange for a taxi for you either to Puerto Plata, or to the bus station, which is about 10 minutes away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I used to do that run quite a bit. I'd charge $60 or so for the 60 mile trip no matter what hour of the day or night. But i am no longer in the country. My recommendation is to take a taxi to the nearest Cabana. Which will cost you 600 pesos to get there. They are mostly for illicit sexual encounters, but for about 500 pesos for 4 hour you can stay until morning. Arrange for the taxi to pick you up 4 hours later when the buses are running and have him take you to the closest of the two Caribe Tours bus stations. Your hotel should have free service to pick you up from the Puerto Plata Caribe Tours bus station.
Der Fish

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I used to do that run quite a bit. I'd charge $60 or so for the 60 mile trip no matter what hour of the day or night. But i am no longer in the country. My recommendation is to take a taxi to the nearest Cabana. Which will cost you 600 pesos to get there. They are mostly for illicit sexual encounters, but for about 500 pesos for 4 hour you can stay until morning. Arrange for the taxi to pick you up 4 hours later when the buses are running and have him take you to the closest of the two Caribe Tours bus stations. Your hotel should have free service to pick you up from the Puerto Plata Caribe Tours bus station.
Der Fish

Illicit?

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Illicit

adjective
forbidden by law, rules, or custom
"illicit drugs"

synonyms: illegal, unlawful, illegitimate

ha...ha.......don't go to that Cabana.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I'll take the bait.
1. Don't travel at night.
2. Don't rent a car.
3. Don't use Uber.
4. Yes, stay in Santiago that 1st night, because, see #1. Somebody here will be able to recommend a good place to stay in la Segunda Capital (Santiago).
5. Somebody here, can recommend public transport or a taxi company which can take you from Santiago to Infiniti Blu.
6. Mistakes and accidents happen, but be careful here on out, because you're traveling to a foreign country. You need to be on point with things. Even the small, annoying things.
7. Be careful.
8. Have fun.
9. Stay safe.

...whats the problem with uber, ? live in Santiago use them all the time...half the price. mostly better cars....more beer stops.... easy morning drive to puerto plata... you will be on the beach before lunch... done that trip many times... from middle of Santiago to your hotel, using uber a little less than $50 US.......Doc......

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
...whats the problem with uber, ? live in Santiago use them all the time...half the price. mostly better cars....more beer stops.... easy morning drive to puerto plata... you will be on the beach before lunch... done that trip many times... from middle of Santiago to your hotel, using uber a little less than $50 US.......Doc......

Maybe it's not a problem with Uber but with the time that this person will be arriving. I wouldn't take or recommend Uber after sundown in a foreign country either if it was my first time visiting.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Maybe it's not a problem with Uber but with the time that this person will be arriving. I wouldn't take or recommend Uber after sundown in a foreign country either if it was my first time visiting.

...yes you are right...after dark maybe a small problem....I was talking about next morning on drive to puerto plata.... Doc.....

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
...yes you are right...after dark maybe a small problem....I was talking about next morning on drive to puerto plata.... Doc.....

Thanks folks we will get a bed n breakfast till the next morning then take an Uber to Puerto Plata latter in the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Noted in your original post,your destination is Infiniti Blue which is in Sosua not Puerto Plata. When agreeing on the price of a taxi ride its important to give the correct destination to avoid overcharge. Safe travels.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

cbmitch9 describes my reasoning here.