Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: DR Fails to Make the "Top 20"...

  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    29,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DR Fails to Make the "Top 20"...

    ...of dangerous tourist places.

    Jamaica #18, S. Africa #17, Venezuela #6, Colombia #1.

    Of course, one man's opinions.

    The 20 most dangerous countries in the world

    Go figure...

  2. #2
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is the DR really a dangerous place for tourists in for instance Punta Cana ? I think maybe one of the safest places in the world if you stay in the tourist areas. Go to Miami and I would recommend to stay in the better areas too. 

  3. Likes sanpedrogringo, Ecoman1949 liked this post
  4. #3
    I love infractions!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jamaica is doing bad right now. A friend of mine, Jamaican himself, a businessman involved in the Golden Krust chain of stores in New York, just got back from a relative's funeral, and said don't bother. If not for the funeral, he wouldn't have went, as his trips back are limited.

  5. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,808
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Southern Thailand: Allahu Akbar

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    ...of dangerous tourist places.

    Jamaica #18, S. Africa #17, Venezuela #6, Colombia #1.

    Of course, one man's opinions.

    The 20 most dangerous countries in the world

    Go figure...

    Southern Thailand’s separatist violence shows no signs of ending
    Insurgency to create a Muslim state goes back decades but has ramped up since 2004

  6. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I tend to agree, even for tourists who travel outside of the all-inclusives, the worst that normally happens is that they get things stolen, occasionally at gunpoint, but in my view it's rare to hear of tourists being hurt or killed.

  7. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
  8. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice failure.....

  9. Likes cobraboy liked this post
  10. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As tempting as it is to talk about other countries and their dangers, remember to keep your posts only about DR




    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  11. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    I tend to agree, even for tourists who travel outside of the all-inclusives, the worst that normally happens is that they get things stolen, occasionally at gunpoint, but in my view it's rare to hear of tourists being hurt or killed.
    Mexico is not listed which surprises me based on the number of media reports of tourist casualties due to the cartel drug wars over the past five years. I'm surprised Colombia is still #1. The government has made a concerted effort to reduce cartel and political violence. I though it was paying off. As for the DR, it's a simple matter of keeping your wits about you. Petty crime is everywhere but truly violent crimes involving transient tourists is low. Every now and then you hear about an expat or long term resident being killed but it's rare. Most of the countries named in the article are hotbeds of political violence and have been for years. Why anyone would want to visit some of these places and risk their lives is beyond me. 

  12. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Mexico is not listed which surprises me based on the number of media reports of tourist casualties due to the cartel drug wars over the past five years. I'm surprised Colombia is still #1. The government has made a concerted effort to reduce cartel and political violence. I though it was paying off. As for the DR, it's a simple matter of keeping your wits about you. Petty crime is everywhere but truly violent crimes involving transient tourists is low. Every now and then you hear about an expat or long term resident being killed but it's rare. Most of the countries named in the article are hotbeds of political violence and have been for years. Why anyone would want to visit some of these places and risk their lives is beyond me. 
    i will give you an answer to your last question. it is not that abstruse.

    people visit the places on the list because they are not risking their lives. in most of the countries with the highest numbers, the violence has to do with either guns and drugs, or political unrest. guys in these countries busting off rounds have no interest in harming tourists. they know who their targets are, and they arent some guys in straws hat and Bermuda shorts

  14. Likes Auryn, Russell liked this post
  15. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i will give you an answer to your last question. it is not that abstruse.

    people visit the places on the list because they are not risking their lives. in most of the countries with the highest numbers, the violence has to do with either guns and drugs, or political unrest. guys in these countries busting off rounds have no interest in harming tourists. they know who their targets are, and they arent some guys in straws hat and Bermuda shorts
    In places like the Philippines, tourists are the target. Kidnapping for ransom is very lucrative there

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •