Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DR Fails to Make the "Top 20"...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to get this out to all the AI resorts who tell their guests not to venture out as its dangerous here.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Boyter View Post
    Is the DR really a dangerous place for tourists in for instance Punta Cana ? I think maybe one of the safest places in the world if you stay in the tourist areas. Go to Miami and I would recommend to stay in the better areas too. 
    I spent 5 years in the DR outside of the confines of the AI's. Probably a dozen times for less than an hour or 2 was I even on an AI. I felt safer in the city there than in Chattanooga or Pine Bluff Arkansas or ST Louis MO. They can sell all the fear they want, but it makes no sense to hide off onto a white man's reservation that way. The natives aren't out to get you, maybe the native chicks, but that is a different fear altogether.
    Der Fish

3. Likes trustquest, bob saunders liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    ...of dangerous tourist places.

Jamaica #18, S. Africa #17, Venezuela #6, Colombia #1.

Of course, one man's opinions.

The 20 most dangerous countries in the world

Go figure...
    Come on! Is Afghanistan safer than Colombia? How about Syria? Let's walk down the street there for half an hour. Or Maybe Palestine?
    Der Fish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    ...of dangerous tourist places.

Jamaica #18, S. Africa #17, Venezuela #6, Colombia #1.

Of course, one man's opinions.

The 20 most dangerous countries in the world

Go figure...
    I love how just below the MOST DANGEROUS COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD they have
    the "SPONSORED TOPICS" and go figure...

1. Affordable Yacht Cruises
    2. Weekend Getaway Cruises
    3. 10 Caribbean Cruise Deals

Read between the lines.

6. Likes spmc liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the list was compiled by the same guys who named New Garden the most naughty hotel in the world. Shouldn't even take top place in town.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Boyter View Post
    Is the DR really a dangerous place for tourists in for instance Punta Cana ? I think maybe one of the safest places in the world if you stay in the tourist areas. Go to Miami and I would recommend to stay in the better areas too. 
    Most tourists going to PC are at all inclusives. They are very safe and if they go out on tours there are little problems. Crime in the DR however seems to be getting worse not better. As a tourist do not carry around money and flash a lot of jewerly. Common sense is king.

9. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Common sense is truly king. Trouble is more likely to find you if you look for it no matter where you are in the world. I am surprised about Colombia as well, I never felt threatened once and there was a huge effort to protect tourists. Maybe they are the targets in the Philippines, but as the gorgon said, that's typically not the case. Keep your nose clean (literally) and problems should be few as a general rule.  As far as the article goes, a grain of salt goes a long way too.  

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a positive note that RD did not make the list.
    However such polls or assessments are at best 'Subjective' and heavily influenced by the assessors opinion and not necessarily the cold hard facts.
    My opinion , for what it is worth is : "just be carefull and know your safety zones. They may be different during day and at night."
    Luperon is a nice friendly town; it also has its challenges ;Poverty seems to be growing in rural RD .
    Desperate people do desperate things in times of need. Luperon lost at least 500 jobs when the Resort closed .. those jobs are gone and new ones do not seem to have replaced them.

Russ

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

been living in Jarabacoa for over ten years,some crime,few gringos here,yet I don't feel I am a target in anyway.In small towns,they know who you are married to,and respect you & your family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12