DR Fails to Make the "Top 20"...

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Is the DR really a dangerous place for tourists in for instance Punta Cana ? I think maybe one of the safest places in the world if you stay in the tourist areas. Go to Miami and I would recommend to stay in the better areas too. 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Jamaica is doing bad right now. A friend of mine, Jamaican himself, a businessman involved in the Golden Krust chain of stores in New York, just got back from a relative's funeral, and said don't bother. If not for the funeral, he wouldn't have went, as his trips back are limited.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I tend to agree, even for tourists who travel outside of the all-inclusives, the worst that normally happens is that they get things stolen, occasionally at gunpoint, but in my view it's rare to hear of tourists being hurt or killed.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As tempting as it is to talk about other countries and their dangers, remember to keep your posts only about DR

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I tend to agree, even for tourists who travel outside of the all-inclusives, the worst that normally happens is that they get things stolen, occasionally at gunpoint, but in my view it's rare to hear of tourists being hurt or killed.

Mexico is not listed which surprises me based on the number of media reports of tourist casualties due to the cartel drug wars over the past five years. I'm surprised Colombia is still #1. The government has made a concerted effort to reduce cartel and political violence. I though it was paying off. As for the DR, it's a simple matter of keeping your wits about you. Petty crime is everywhere but truly violent crimes involving transient tourists is low. Every now and then you hear about an expat or long term resident being killed but it's rare. Most of the countries named in the article are hotbeds of political violence and have been for years. Why anyone would want to visit some of these places and risk their lives is beyond me. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mexico is not listed which surprises me based on the number of media reports of tourist casualties due to the cartel drug wars over the past five years. I'm surprised Colombia is still #1. The government has made a concerted effort to reduce cartel and political violence. I though it was paying off. As for the DR, it's a simple matter of keeping your wits about you. Petty crime is everywhere but truly violent crimes involving transient tourists is low. Every now and then you hear about an expat or long term resident being killed but it's rare. Most of the countries named in the article are hotbeds of political violence and have been for years. Why anyone would want to visit some of these places and risk their lives is beyond me. 

i will give you an answer to your last question. it is not that abstruse.

people visit the places on the list because they are not risking their lives. in most of the countries with the highest numbers, the violence has to do with either guns and drugs, or political unrest. guys in these countries busting off rounds have no interest in harming tourists. they know who their targets are, and they arent some guys in straws hat and Bermuda shorts

trustquest

Jan 15, 2017
i will give you an answer to your last question. it is not that abstruse.

people visit the places on the list because they are not risking their lives. in most of the countries with the highest numbers, the violence has to do with either guns and drugs, or political unrest. guys in these countries busting off rounds have no interest in harming tourists. they know who their targets are, and they arent some guys in straws hat and Bermuda shorts
In places like the Philippines, tourists are the target. Kidnapping for ransom is very lucrative there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We need to get this out to all the AI resorts who tell their guests not to venture out as its dangerous here.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is the DR really a dangerous place for tourists in for instance Punta Cana ? I think maybe one of the safest places in the world if you stay in the tourist areas. Go to Miami and I would recommend to stay in the better areas too. 

I spent 5 years in the DR outside of the confines of the AI's. Probably a dozen times for less than an hour or 2 was I even on an AI. I felt safer in the city there than in Chattanooga or Pine Bluff Arkansas or ST Louis MO. They can sell all the fear they want, but it makes no sense to hide off onto a white man's reservation that way. The natives aren't out to get you, maybe the native chicks, but that is a different fear altogether.
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
...of dangerous tourist places.

Jamaica #18, S. Africa #17, Venezuela #6, Colombia #1.

Of course, one man's opinions.

The 20 most dangerous countries in the world

Go figure...

I love how just below the MOST DANGEROUS COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD they have
the "SPONSORED TOPICS" and go figure...

1. Affordable Yacht Cruises
2. Weekend Getaway Cruises
3. 10 Caribbean Cruise Deals

Read between the lines.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Maybe the list was compiled by the same guys who named New Garden the most naughty hotel in the world. Shouldn't even take top place in town.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Most tourists going to PC are at all inclusives. They are very safe and if they go out on tours there are little problems. Crime in the DR however seems to be getting worse not better. As a tourist do not carry around money and flash a lot of jewerly. Common sense is king.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Common sense is truly king. Trouble is more likely to find you if you look for it no matter where you are in the world. I am surprised about Colombia as well, I never felt threatened once and there was a huge effort to protect tourists. Maybe they are the targets in the Philippines, but as the gorgon said, that's typically not the case. Keep your nose clean (literally) and problems should be few as a general rule.  As far as the article goes, a grain of salt goes a long way too.  

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It is a positive note that RD did not make the list.
However such polls or assessments are at best 'Subjective' and heavily influenced by the assessors opinion and not necessarily the cold hard facts.
My opinion , for what it is worth is : "just be carefull and know your safety zones. They may be different during day and at night."
Luperon is a nice friendly town; it also has its challenges ;Poverty seems to be growing in rural RD .
Desperate people do desperate things in times of need. Luperon lost at least 500 jobs when the Resort closed .. those jobs are gone and new ones do not seem to have replaced them.

Russ

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
been living in Jarabacoa for over ten years,some crime,few gringos here,yet I don't feel I am a target in anyway.In small towns,they know who you are married to,and respect you & your family.