Greetings DR members

Gringopean

May 24, 2017
Greeting Folks,

I am IT guy, with Swedish background, just moved into Puerto Plata from NYC. I am looking into the feasibility to have DR as a second home. The combination of big city and rural land is perfect for me. I have been to DR a few time and many other less developed countries in the world. My Spanish is limited but have it on the top of my list to be learned fully.

This forum is a great resource for me, so kudos to all of you keeping it maintained and have it evolving with informative content.

Thanks

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
bienvenidos, or whatever they say here. Enjoy the site. I've found it to be both beneficial and a source of amusement during my time here.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Greeting Folks,

I am IT guy, with Swedish background, just moved into Puerto Plata from NYC. I am looking into the feasibility to have DR as a second home. The combination of big city and rural land is perfect for me. I have been to DR a few time and many other less developed countries in the world. My Spanish is limited but have it on the top of my list to be learned fully.

This forum is a great resource for me, so kudos to all of you keeping it maintained and have it evolving with informative content.

Thanks

Hej and welcome. In case you want to ask questions/discuss in your own language you can PM me.

MM

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Greeting Folks,

Thanks

I'm confused? You say you just moved into POP but you are considering the DR for a second home. Are you still maintaining residence in NYC? DO NOT buy anything in the DR. If you decide to stay in the DR rent until you have the lay of the land. If you are not going to be living in the DR all year round than don't even consider buying anything. As a gringo with no language skills you will be a target. Buying a free standing home out in the countryside just screams come and rip me off. Take your time. Learn the ropes and learn the language. Good luck and good travels.

Gringopean

May 24, 2017
I'm confused? You say you just moved into POP but you are considering the DR for a second home. Are you still maintaining residence in NYC? DO NOT buy anything in the DR. If you decide to stay in the DR rent until you have the lay of the land. If you are not going to be living in the DR all year round than don't even consider buying anything. As a gringo with no language skills you will be a target. Buying a free standing home out in the countryside just screams come and rip me off. Take your time. Learn the ropes and learn the language. Good luck and good travels.

Thanks for the welcoming all of you and Hej Milo,

Steve, thanks for your advise. No I am not buying anything in the near future and I am totally agreeing with you about adapting to they ways things are conducted here first. I am in good hands here for the moment, renting a place with a mix of locals and long-term expats next door. Picking their brains every day whenever I have the chance. Learning Spanish is one of my top priorities. I plan to do 6-12 months of experiencing and after that I will decide if DR is for me or not. Yes, I am still maintaining residence in NYC as I am still employed in US.

Cheers