New Notice from Dominican Immigration/DMG - What does it mean?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
This was posted on the DMG website and on the DMG Facebook Page. I translated it but I still don't understand what it means.... Maybe that only you (yourself) or a lawyer acting for you can handle any residency issues? Not your friends or other non-lawyers? (English Google Translation is below the Spanish)

SANTO DOMINGO.- La Dirección General de Migración (DGM) informó este lunes que a partir del 1ro. de julio, las gestiones migratorias ante esa institución deberán ser realizadas “directamente” por la parte interesada o por intermedio de abogado debidamente apoderado y autorizado.

Con la medida, la DGM da cumplimiento a lo dispuesto en el artículo 125 del Decreto 631-11, que instituye el Reglamento de Aplicación de la Ley General de Migración No. 285-04, según establece en nota de prensa la institución oficial.

“Por medio del presente comunicado se les informa que a partir del primero (1ro.) de julio de 2017 toda gestión migratoria deberá ser realizada directamente por la parte interesada o por procuración de abogado debidamente apoderado y matriculado en el Colegio de Abogados de la República Dominicana”, precisa el comunicado.

Agrega, que “hacemos de conocimientos a todos los usuarios de los servicios que ofrece la DGM, abogados y notarios públicos en general que las gestiones sobre casos de migración deberán realizarlas directamente en nuestras oficinas”.

La DGM establece que se esfuerza cada día para eficientizar la gestión de los diferentes servicios que ofrece a los usuarios en materia de trámites de residencias en toda su variedad, permisos de viajes de menores, certificación de movimiento migratorio y renovación de residencia, entre otros.

OFICINA DE COMUNICACIÓN.

19-6-2017

SANTO DOMINGO.- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported Monday that from the 1st. Of July, the migratory procedures before this institution must be carried out "directly" by the interested party or through a duly authorized attorney.

With the measure, the DGM complies with the provisions of Article 125 of Decree 631-11, which establishes the Regulations for the Application of the General Law on Migration No. 285-04, as stated in a press release by the official institution.

"Through this press release, you are informed that as from the first (1st) of July 2017, all migratory management must be carried out directly by the interested party or by proxy, duly empowered and enrolled in the Bar Association of the Republic Dominican Republic, "the statement said.

He adds that "we make knowledge to all users of the services offered by the DGM, lawyers and notaries public in general that the steps on migration cases should be carried out directly in our offices."

The DGM states that it strives every day to efficiently manage the different services it offers to users in the area of ​​residency procedures in all its variety, travel permits for minors, certification of migration and renovation of residence, among others.

OFFICE OF COMMUNICATION.

19-6-2017

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To me that say nobody other than yourself or your lawyer can submit or carryout immigration procedures. You can no longer use anyone else like a relative, friend, or translator....etc.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
My understanding, too. They were probably getting too many requests for info from third parties, including lawyers who didn't have any specific power of attorney at the time.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Also weeds out non-lawyers and people who aren't legally authorized to rip people off.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Checked with my source at DGM, as well as the Dominican consulate in New York, and all of these responses are 100% correct.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not all may share my view but I see a pattern here...........

A clean-up is underway..... modernization of sorts.

No more flim-flam lawyers.... new computer systems.... airport kiosks.

It may take time but glaciers do actually move.....

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Agreed. That's what I thought they were saying. Overall, I think the process is much better than when I started 6 years ago and computerizing everything has helped. Eventually, I believe they will allow other offices to process residency applications and renewals and also the airport system will be tied in so that those who are determined to live here will have to be residents as well. For now, the idea of having only legitimate attorneys involved seems like a step in the right direction....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The lawyers who are somewhat more legit probably realized a lot of those people who paid big $$$$ to
get legal during the 2014 madness got ripped off and they missed out on their fare $hare as a result
of it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This could be a hardship for some people though. I know people who live far from SD, who use a translator in SD, and she offers the service of delivering and picking up papers so the applicant doesn't have to schlep to the capital. Looks like those days will be over.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Not all may share my view but I see a pattern here...........

A clean-up is underway..... modernization of sorts.

No more flim-flam lawyers.... new computer systems.... airport kiosks.

It may take time but glaciers do actually move.....

I totally agree with this posting.. You can see the changes in Impuestos Internos that are targeting companies and property sales , there is an more efficient immigration process at the airports and AMET are becoming more modern . Also the movement of money in and out of the DR requires much more information. When there is a large central computer base here with information shared between departments at a press of computer keys ,then I think it will be the end of the laissez-faire life here

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I totally agree with this posting.. You can see the changes in Impuestos Internos that are targeting companies and property sales , there is an more efficient immigration process at the airports and AMET are becoming more modern . Also the movement of money in and out of the DR requires much more information. When there is a large central computer base here with information shared between departments at a press of computer keys ,then I think it will be the end of the laissez-faire life here

The DR1 dream lives on and then there is reality. I bet the keyboard won't even work, when they try to install that seamless solution.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This could be a hardship for some people though. I know people who live far from SD, who use a translator in SD, and she offers the service of delivering and picking up papers so the applicant doesn't have to schlep to the capital. Looks like those days will be over.

when i was renewing my residency i observed "helpers" who accompanied groups of applicants, i wonder if that sort of assistance will still be allowed?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also weeds out non-lawyers and people who aren't legally authorized to rip people off.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

That is how I read between the lines as well. Either you personally or an actual Dominican lawyer, while none of those "facilitators"/Buscones are allowed any more.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It seems more to stop paralegal wanna be lawyer or Joe blow hanging sign immigration consultant ripping people off....