Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I agree - it was always required. But so are lights on motos, so I don't expect this to be strictly enforced, if true.
    Correct has the new requirements for carro publico in effect yet if so its also not enforced

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is true.  If you are the first person to remove the deceased drivers wallet or purse from their body on the road, you are required to place the reflective vest on them so everyone knows that the deceased has been picked clean of any valuables.  It prevents a lot of people from needlessly stopping.

3. Likes pelaut, windeguy, irishpaddy, frank12, drstock and 3 others liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The triangle is being enforced in Mao. No idea about the rest of the stuff.

Matilda.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The triangle I can see where it would be useful (like flares used in other countries). The vest, is this to be worn while your standing outside of the vehicle? I always carry a first aid kit (for us) even though one is always told not to stop/help at a accident scene.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There are so many things stated in the new law and the fines are ramped up to generally be a multiple of minimum salary.

Many of the rules stated in the law will take a very long time to implement imo........colors of public vehicles for example. In theory Uber would not be able to operate with these rules as another example. But they will no doubt be applied randomly.

And the rules for foreigners has changed but not sure what it all means (Art 207).

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/docu..._63_17docx.pdf

Best advice is to drive cautiously with all the documentation, respect the rules of the road that you were told when you got your local license and any signs and signals and don't drink and drive. And have the triangle at least in your vehicle.

Oh and it won't be AMET stopping you......it will be INTRANT.

And if you take a moto concho make sure he gives you a safety helmet!

7. Dislikes sanpedrogringo disliked this post
    I never learn...
    Post Thanks / Like

And wear would you buy said items here in the DR?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ju10prd View Post
    There are so many things stated in the new law and the fines are ramped up to generally be a multiple of minimum salary.

Many of the rules stated in the law will take a very long time to implement imo........colors of public vehicles for example. In theory Uber would not be able to operate with these rules as another example. But they will no doubt be applied randomly.

And the rules for foreigners has changed but not sure what it all means (Art 207).

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/docu..._63_17docx.pdf

Best advice is to drive cautiously with all the documentation, respect the rules of the road that you were told when you got your local license and any signs and signals and don't drink and drive. And have the triangle at least in your vehicle.

Oh and it won't be AMET stopping you......it will be INTRANT.

And if you take a moto concho make sure he gives you a safety helmet!
    I had a neighbor in Puerto Plata a 75 year old Canuck who had his own helmet and he took it with him whenever he mounted a motoconcho. I thoght it was a good idea, I just didn't have one for me
    Der Fish

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

another law to be ignored.....how about trying to get assholes to stop at red lights ....then we can move onto other things

11. Likes windeguy, drstock, sanpedrogringo, Rosss, Uzin and 1 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the motoconcho driver gives you a safety helmet is the second most comical comment so far. By far and away the best one is the use of the orange vest to denote the body that has been picked clean.

The only thing "new" in this list is that orange vest.

13. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is doubtful whether or not Las 63-17 will go into effect. They still lack regulations, some 44 of them, and they have not implemented the vast public education program that is part and parcel of the law.

The requirements as I have "heard" are fire extinguisher, triangle and first aid kit.

in the old Law 241 you were required to have a needle and thread (and, I suppose, the ability to sew up anyone injured in an accident.) But those were the old days.. There are fire extinguisher companies that can provide one or there is Amazon. Triangles were once required (another ploy to help a close friend of the government) but that has been ignored for a long time. Can't say it is not a good thing to have them.

The comment about robbing the dead and injured is as true as it is gruesome. True vultures. Oh well, you can always fly home, I suppose. Unless this is home???

HB, somewhat of a curmudgeon.

Moderator DR1.com

15. Likes bob saunders, Kipling333 liked this post
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast