Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I was just in Pappaterra in Sosua and they want 2200 pesos for these four items(sold out today). Total rip-off. Somebody is making a real killing on this.
    Maybe it's not such a rip-off if you consider that the cheapest individual extinguisher on Amazon is about $17 and then you have to add the US shipping, sea-freight etc. And that's just for one item.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    Maybe it's not such a rip-off if you consider that the cheapest individual extinguisher on Amazon is about $17 and then you have to add the US shipping, sea-freight etc. And that's just for one item.
    Yes, if you had to buy these items individually online and ship them down here, you're not going to save anything, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I stopped by a local repuesto about 2 weeks ago when rumors about this first broke out and they were offering a kit for 850 pesos(same chintzy little red triangle that you've probaly seen, small extinguisher like in beeza's post, and a small basic first aid kit). For 1350 they had a "deluxe" kit that had a bigger extinguisher. Unfortunately, I didn't buy one that day.

That's the real price - what they're really worth. Now everyone is jacking up the price.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this thread is titled correctly because it's not a moving violation (Driving Reg?).

Anyway, looks like another reason to pull a gringo over and collect some salary all the while smelling for alcohol on the breath. Which could lead to more hand-to-pesos.

4. Likes Uzin liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point on the "Driving Regulations" issue. However, if your car is not being driven, I don't think they will ever "pull you over" to check if you are using a cell phone, have your seat belt on, or have the triangle/fire extinguisher/first aid kit. Although you never know since so many out of the ordinary things happen here.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    Interesting - the link you give for the extinguisher specifically says "Not sent to the Dominican Republic", so it looks as if they are getting a lot of requests from here. But I suppose if you get it delivered to an independent sea-freight shipper it should work.

More likely your clicking on that link from DR which your IP shows and the website automaticallly adds that phrase when traffic comes from countries they don't ship to. 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

FROM EVERYTHING SOSUA FB

Chris Streicher

July 11 at 5:53pm

Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Safety Triangle

$790

Maranatha

I found some more extinguishers and safety triangle as well first aid kids all in limited numbers

Please find below the links to the items, please choose cash option, ignore Paybal this is just in order to keep track of the inventory and orders. Your help is greatly apprechated

Fire Extinguisher RD 790.00

First Aid Kit RD 489.00

Safety Triangle RD 399.00

All 3 Items under one Number - RD 1.678

Delivery will take place Saturday 5 PM Banco Popular Sosua.
    For more information please call 8292997759

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The high visibility vests(used by workers and motochocha drivers) and first aid kits are available everywhere. I just bought my vest at a hardware store - 200 pesos. First aid kits are available at most farmacias. I paid 300 pesos, but you can make up your own for even less.

Many repuestos are quoting around 350 for the extinguisher and 150-200 for the triangle and they say they are expecting them to arrive this week.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all BS, how about having motorcycle drivers have a drivers license and insurance mandatory, and AMET enforce helmets EVERY DAY, and if a driver does not have a valid ownership. put them in jail when they get stopped. how about lights also be mandatory.

10. Likes Timotero, bienamor liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

That's all fine and dandy in a society where the majority are prepared to accept the concept that others may need to be placed before self. Case in point, if people can't demonstrate the ability line up for something in an orderly and cordial fashion, then it is a given that the same people won't be able to appreciate why waiting patiently for a red light might be helpful to someone else. Since you can't see your own brake light, chances are you don't consider it all that important to your mission of getting to work. The willingness to follow rules or societal convention is dependent on a willingness to do so even if one doesn't agree with or appreciate the need for a particular rule.

In this country, anything that that puts limits on an individual's activities is often viewed as optional if even a weak case can be made to do the opposite. Buy a beer or buy a brake light? The beer will win every time. Consistent enforcement and peer pressure can help bring about a change in attitude, but progress is dependent on making the leap from vested self interest to a collective self interest and we are a long way away from there.

12. Likes Timotero, beeza liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by me_canadian View Post
    This is all BS, how about having motorcycle drivers have a drivers license and insurance mandatory, and AMET enforce helmets EVERY DAY, and if a driver does not have a valid ownership. put them in jail when they get stopped. how about lights also be mandatory.
    Insurance for motos is mandatory and if a driver can't produce it when stopped he or she may have the moto impounded. However, it only costs about 300 pesos per year, which just about covers the cost of the plastic card and the seller's commission, so don't expect it to pay out in the event of an accident!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910