NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I have heard today, as of August 1st, you must have a HIGH VISIBILITY VEST, REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE and FIRST AID KIT in your car at ALL times.

The vest is now being sold in Insurance offices (in Sosua anyway)!

If you don't...... you'll get a $5000 peso fine.

(Just what I've heard).

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have heard today, as of August 1st, you must have a HIGH VISIBILITY VEST, REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE and FIRST AID KIT in your car at ALL times.

The vest is now being sold in Insurance offices (in Sosua anyway)!

If you don't...... you'll get a $5000 peso fine.

(Just what I've heard).

No fire extinguisher? That should be o the list if you ask me.
Der Fish

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Let's not be offering up well meaning suggestions to politicians. One may be in the extinguisher sales biz. Vests and triangles are bad enough

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am not sure if it is law, but in Nova Scotia; and, Northern Canada where towns are miles apart we always carry a First aid kit, fire extinguisher and shock blankets... I add to that flares and red flag.
In RD I have nothing in my car, but should... just in case... the life I save may be my own!!

Russ

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
N. Canada you break down unprepared you may freeze to death. "Be prepared" has not caught on here. I just like it to be up to the individual rather than laws and fines.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have always it was required to have a first aid kit, emergency triangle and fire extinguisher, they could inspect for this when you got the revista?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have always it was required to have a first aid kit, emergency triangle and fire extinguisher, they could inspect for this when you got the revista?

I agree - it was always required. But so are lights on motos, so I don't expect this to be strictly enforced, if true.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I agree - it was always required. But so are lights on motos, so I don't expect this to be strictly enforced, if true.

Correct has the new requirements for carro publico in effect yet if so its also not enforced

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Yes it is true.  If you are the first person to remove the deceased drivers wallet or purse from their body on the road, you are required to place the reflective vest on them so everyone knows that the deceased has been picked clean of any valuables.  It prevents a lot of people from needlessly stopping.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The triangle is being enforced in Mao. No idea about the rest of the stuff.

Matilda.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The triangle I can see where it would be useful (like flares used in other countries). The vest, is this to be worn while your standing outside of the vehicle? I always carry a first aid kit (for us) even though one is always told not to stop/help at a accident scene.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There are so many things stated in the new law and the fines are ramped up to generally be a multiple of minimum salary.

Many of the rules stated in the law will take a very long time to implement imo........colors of public vehicles for example. In theory Uber would not be able to operate with these rules as another example. But they will no doubt be applied randomly.

And the rules for foreigners has changed but not sure what it all means (Art 207).

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/documentos/PDF/novedades/NOV_ley_ley_no_63_17docx.pdf

Best advice is to drive cautiously with all the documentation, respect the rules of the road that you were told when you got your local license and any signs and signals and don't drink and drive. And have the triangle at least in your vehicle.

Oh and it won't be AMET stopping you......it will be INTRANT.

And if you take a moto concho make sure he gives you a safety helmet!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are so many things stated in the new law and the fines are ramped up to generally be a multiple of minimum salary.

Many of the rules stated in the law will take a very long time to implement imo........colors of public vehicles for example. In theory Uber would not be able to operate with these rules as another example. But they will no doubt be applied randomly.

And the rules for foreigners has changed but not sure what it all means (Art 207).

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/documentos/PDF/novedades/NOV_ley_ley_no_63_17docx.pdf

Best advice is to drive cautiously with all the documentation, respect the rules of the road that you were told when you got your local license and any signs and signals and don't drink and drive. And have the triangle at least in your vehicle.

Oh and it won't be AMET stopping you......it will be INTRANT.

And if you take a moto concho make sure he gives you a safety helmet!

I had a neighbor in Puerto Plata a 75 year old Canuck who had his own helmet and he took it with him whenever he mounted a motoconcho. I thoght it was a good idea, I just didn't have one for me
Der Fish

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
another law to be ignored.....how about trying to get assholes to stop at red lights ....then we can move onto other things

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Make sure the motoconcho driver gives you a safety helmet is the second most comical comment so far. By far and away the best one is the use of the orange vest to denote the body that has been picked clean.

The only thing "new" in this list is that orange vest.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is doubtful whether or not Las 63-17 will go into effect. They still lack regulations, some 44 of them, and they have not implemented the vast public education program that is part and parcel of the law.

The requirements as I have "heard" are fire extinguisher, triangle and first aid kit.

in the old Law 241 you were required to have a needle and thread (and, I suppose, the ability to sew up anyone injured in an accident.) But those were the old days.. There are fire extinguisher companies that can provide one or there is Amazon. Triangles were once required (another ploy to help a close friend of the government) but that has been ignored for a long time. Can't say it is not a good thing to have them.

The comment about robbing the dead and injured is as true as it is gruesome. True vultures. Oh well, you can always fly home, I suppose. Unless this is home???

HB, somewhat of a curmudgeon.