Copa Panama city to Santiago DR, Copa

affald

May 17, 2004
I think only Copa flies to Santiago.

Need to visit Panama for about two weeks this coming winter, either before or after two months in the DR.

Is it better to visit Panama in late December or March?

Any advice on flying or buying tickets one way on Copa?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I was there late December and all the Christmas decoration was still up...it was magical! Depends on your agenda...if you must go there because of business i would decide for March, because in late December you won't get anything done. Copa tickets are really cheap if you buy them in advance but when the planned date arrives they really increase the price. I would buy return ticket.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I think only Copa flies to Santiago.

Need to visit Panama for about two weeks this coming winter, either before or after two months in the DR.

Is it better to visit Panama in late December or March?

Any advice on flying or buying tickets one way on Copa?

Most countries do not allow people who do not have residency to arrive on a one way ticket. Copa is a wonderful airline and doesn't charge extra for normal stuff. They are old fashioned that way.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Best to buy with Copa online ...they fly out of Santiago and Punta Cana and Santo Domingo...I agree that they are great airline. Best time to travel is when less busy which is probably March depending where Easter is that year

affald

May 17, 2004
Great advice. Do they check for round trip ticket when entering Panama or only when leaving usa or DR?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
They do check when entering Panama but more likely is that you will NOT be permitted to board the plane without a return ticket .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
They do check when entering Panama but more likely is that you will NOT be permitted to board the plane without a return ticket .

....was there last September, flew from STI. to panama, both airports very easy....dont remember if they checked for return ticket, I think no, buy one, round trip anyway... Copa is great airline, friendly attendants , carts off food ,beverages, all free, all you want........Doc......

Feb 7, 2007
Food and drinks are not free, they are part of the cost of ticket. Copa is good but quite expensive. Just compare PUJ to BOG on Copa and on Wingo, where Wingo is LCC arm of Copa (formerly Copa Colombia).

Plus you should always buy RT ticket on Copa as one ways are way too expensive compared to RT. On Wingo you can buy OW with no issues as pricing is based on one ways.

affald

May 17, 2004
This copa airline is strange, roundtrip flight from pty to jfk jump from $505 to $726 and back for no apparent reason. Now that I am ready to book back at 726. Wonder if the day of week you search is the deciding factor?

Is there any trick to getting cheaper flights, ie day of week, vpn from another country??

Ty

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
This copa airline is strange, roundtrip flight from pty to jfk jump from $505 to $726 and back for no apparent reason. Now that I am ready to book back at 726. Wonder if the day of week you search is the deciding factor?

Is there any trick to getting cheaper flights, ie day of week, vpn from another country??

Ty

They are all like that. One has to keep coming back time after time and buy on the day that the ticket is low.
Der Fish

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They are all like that. One has to keep coming back time after time and buy on the day that the ticket is low.
Der Fish

last year I booked a flight to panama for 386.00 and next day was 291.00, anyway I was lucky I got a cheap flight, my friends got it cheaper, but there is not trick just keep checking to know how much would be a regular price for your destination and if you see a good price book inmediatly, no formula says when will be lower. In my case I prefer to Book regular price or very good price than to wait and see how fast go up the price.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

Ty

Experts say mid-week is the best time to book. At the end of the day, you need to check often for deals.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

Ty

One time I was buying a ticket to Panama, the flight from Santiago to San Jose (Costa Rica) via Panama was actually cheaper by about $100 than the direct flight STI-PTY, so I bought the Costa Rica flight instead (I had no luggage to check). Also you may want to check the Spirit flights (STI-FLL, FLL-PTY) if the schedule works for you - they were about half price of Copa's despite double the distance.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
The website airfarewatchdog can be helpful, despite numerous popups. You can find the cheapest price to and from any city.

If you can be flexible with dates and duration, it will find you the best possible deals.

affald

May 17, 2004
Pty to JFK dropped today Wednesday from 726 to 505 USD round trip.

I guess the suckers that buy at 726 keep the fares lower for those that research and shop around.

Ty dr1ers

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The website airfarewatchdog can be helpful, despite numerous popups. You can find the cheapest price to and from any city.

If you can be flexible with dates and duration, it will find you the best possible deals.

The sites I have tried for that do not publish the real lowest fares such as JetBlue and Spirit
Der Fish

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The sites I have tried for that do not publish the real lowest fares such as JetBlue and Spirit
Der Fish

I use Kayak and most of the time shows lowest fares, but I also double check in the airline webpage, sometimes travelocity has the lowest fare. I booked a flight to Buenos Aires and travelocity with Avianca, gave me the best price and schedule to travel, depart from SDQ at 6:22 pm and arriving 6:00 am to Buenos Aires. The closer fares from Copa had a very bad schedule, arriving Buenos Aires at midnight and back to Santo Domingo at 10:39 pm.

affald

May 17, 2004
Slightly off topic. Does Panama charge a $50 import tax on approximately $100 worth of contact lenses I am trying to send my daughter. Bought them online in the UK and apparently they are trying to charge her $50 to pick them up.

Poor girl is trying to help them by volunteering in the peace Corp.

Is Panama as corrupt as the DR?