Obtaining cedula...

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Has anyone either applied for a cedula for the first time, or, had it renewed recently in Santo Domingo? I got mine last week and would like to compare/contrast with my experience. Thanks.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Has anyone either applied for a cedula for the first time, or, had it renewed recently in Santo Domingo? I got mine last week and would like to compare/contrast with my experience. Thanks.

I renewed my temporary two months ago.

Feb 7, 2007
I had cedula renewal about 6 weeks ago. Was in and out in 15 minutes, at around 3 pm.

Pay, have your picture taken, verify data printout, sign, wait for your cédula to be printed, in air conditioned room on a comfy leather sofa watching cable TV, get cédula handed to you, walk out... 15 minutes in my case with 2 people in front of me.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I obtained mine over a three day period: order extracta acto de nacimiento, got a receipt and told to come back next day at two; get extracta next day, name is incorrect, told to go to correcciones to get it fixed; start the corrections process and system crashes...wait...............people getting restless, employees don't care and went to get coffee; can't get photo, fingerprints etc. because it's 3:57 and they close at 4. I'm one of the first in line  at 7 next since they open at 8. The receptionist, dressed in military fatigues, who also stood as security overnight, tells people where to sit on metal benches(while playing on his cellphone) based on what they are there for; the rest was comical as they couldn't fathom not having a cedula at my age. Telling them I've lived out of the country for 54 years didn't register either. I finally got the cedula free plus the value of my time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You applied as a Dominican who left the country as a child, but the responses (correct me if I'm wrong) are from foreigners resident in the country for whom the process is usually quite smooth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You applied as a Dominican who left the country as a child, but the responses (correct me if I'm wrong) are from foreigners resident in the country for whom the process is usually quite smooth.

Smooth and easy for my husband too, but he was an adult when he left DR 40+ years ago, and already had a cedula that he just renews over and over.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apples and pears. dominican cedula and cedula for foreigners are done in different offices and follow different procedures.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
  You are correct. Additionally, I had to go to the office in the part of the city where I was first declared: Circunscripcion # 2

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
apples and pears. dominican cedula and cedula for foreigners are done in different offices and follow different procedures.
 I wouldn't have known that without applying; guess I followed the "pears" procedure ??????

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I obtained mine over a three day period: order extracta acto de nacimiento, got a receipt and told to come back next day at two; get extracta next day, name is incorrect, told to go to correcciones to get it fixed; start the corrections process and system crashes...wait...............people getting restless, employees don't care and went to get coffee; can't get photo, fingerprints etc. because it's 3:57 and they close at 4. I'm one of the first in line  at 7 next since they open at 8. The receptionist, dressed in military fatigues, who also stood as security overnight, tells people where to sit on metal benches(while playing on his cellphone) based on what they are there for; the rest was comical as they couldn't fathom not having a cedula at my age. Telling them I've lived out of the country for 54 years didn't register either. I finally got the cedula free plus the value of my time.
Free in the DR? Is that even possible? Ha