Earthquake 6.28am

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I was sitting in the loo.  Felt like a truck hit the house. But without the crash sound. 

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I felt it in Cabarete, but seemed quite a lot smaller than yesterday's. Come to think about it, that's what that young lady said to me.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
According to the USGS that was in Punta Cana, but I think the seismographs in the DR or Puerto Rico have been off, because many not recorded in the last few months.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
outside of NA I would agree. 

They do have a way to report tremors though. 

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Would anyone know when was the last time that any earthquake in the DR or DR north coast made some significant damages?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Would anyone know when was the last time that any earthquake in the DR or DR north coast made some significant damages?

6.4 September 22 2003.

A few residents posted damage to their properties in earlier threads.

You can then go back to the big one in 1946 near Samana at 8.1 which caused a great deal of damage throughout the country including North Coast with a tsunami with reported waves between 8'and 16'.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Milo Mitt ,,for two weeks before the dreadful earthquake in Haiti ,there were a series of quakes in the Eastern part of DR .. more or less every second day ..I was sure the big one was coming but as it was, it hit Port au prince and then traveled along to Santiago and nearby area where damage to buildings did occur .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
6.4 September 22 2003.

You can then go back to the big one in 1946 near Samana at 8.1 which caused a great deal of damage throughout the country including North Coast with a tsunami with reported waves between 8'and 16'.

September 22 2003: The very day I came to the DR to retire. I was on a connecting flight to Puerto Plata when I sat next to the owner of the Riu resorts in Puerto Plata and he told me about the earthquake. I was coming from California, go figure. Fortunately no problems at my house in Cabarete, but other areas did have some damage.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Thanks guys. Looking at the earthquake fault map for DR it does look unstable to say the least. I am a bit surprised but thankful that big ones do not occur more often.
I have experienced a big one once in my life but the risk (percentage) to be close to another big earthquake/tsunami again must be very slim.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
6.4 September 22 2003.

the 2003 one is the one which started playa alicia no?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Thanks guys. Looking at the earthquake fault map for DR it does look unstable to say the least. I am a bit surprised but thankful that big ones do not occur more often.
I have experienced a big one once in my life but the risk (percentage) to be close to another big earthquake/tsunami again must be very slim.

'experts' say that we are like 50 years overdue for a big one in DR, also eastern caribbean is overdue.....their records show big earthquakes and tsunamis every 300 years or so...........i also watched some stuff last night on youtube about the northern california thing..................someone is going to get it at some stage.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

2evdits.jpg

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
'experts' say that we are like 50 years overdue for a big one in DR, also eastern caribbean is overdue.....their records show big earthquakes and tsunamis every 300 years or so...........i also watched some stuff last night on youtube about the northern california thing..................someone is going to get it at some stage.

Indeed, the big one seems overdue. After reading a bit I found out the following:

- the Puerto Rico fault line has potential to generate a big earthquake and could be followed by a big tsunami (due to the sea depth and the North American plate is moving underneath the Caribbean plate) and it seems overdue. The tsunami if generated would most likely mainly go north and east due to the fault set-up.
- the Septentrional Fault which runs over DR mainland and close to Santiago has potential to create a big earthquake and energy can be built up through smaller earthquakes from the Puerto Rico fault which can trigger a bigger earthquake on DR mainland. This one seems overdue as well according to the statistics.

Just what I understood when I read through some articles. Take it for what it is worth.
Hopefully it will still takes years before any big one hits and when it hits the impacts are not too brutal.

MM