CLEAR WAY of Becoming a Dominican Citizen (through parents)

dedewr

Jul 7, 2017
Hi All--

I am really hoping someone can help me. I have been doing A LOT of research on how I can obtain Dominican citizenship through my parents but different sources are telling me different things. I have all of the required documents (Mother's birth certificate, Mother's Cedula, and my own Birth Certificate which is already in Spanish since I was born in Puerto Rico). From here I am not sure what the next steps are and who to contact.

Below are a list of my concerns-- hopefully you guys can provide some insights on how I can address these issues:

1. I am hoping to get Dominican citizenship by mid September (do you think this will be possible?)

2. Will I need to travel to the DR between now and then or can all the work be done at the nearest consulate/embassy? If I do need to travel to the DR how many times would I need to travel there since I do not live there, how long should my stays be? I've typically heard it takes two visit to get the citizenship (can one of these visits be avoided by mailing my documents and just going in for the oath ceremony?)

4. How much would the entire process cost to get my citizenship through lineage?

3. Would you guys recommend hiring a lawyer to handle this process for me? If so, how much would you expect me to pay the lawyer (I reached out to one firm and they charged me $800 USD-- I was not sure if this is a lot or a little). If I do it through a firm will I still need to travel to the DR two times as well, what other firms would you recommend to take my case and get it done ASAP.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is the link from the Ministry as to what you need.
http://www.mi.gob.do/transparencia/index.php/servicios/naturalizacion/category/hijos-de-dominicanos

You need EVERYTHING on this list and it all has to be handed in to the Ministry in originals so you can't email. I use a lady in Santo Domingo - Olga Vinas - vinasolga@hotmail.com who can hand everything in for you. The cost is minimal, you do not need a lawyer nor pay US$800.

As far as time is concerned - everything is taking for ever at the moment, so I suggest you email olga.

matilda

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
This is the link from the Ministry as to what you need.
http://www.mi.gob.do/transparencia/index.php/servicios/naturalizacion/category/hijos-de-dominicanos

You need EVERYTHING on this list and it all has to be handed in to the Ministry in originals so you can't email. I use a lady in Santo Domingo - Olga Vinas - vinasolga@hotmail.com who can hand everything in for you. The cost is minimal, you do not need a lawyer nor pay US$800.

As far as time is concerned - everything is taking for ever at the moment, so I suggest you email olga.

matilda

I most certainly agree with Matilda. You can do everything yourself. I also recommend Olga.

dedewr

Jul 7, 2017
Thank you, I emailed Olga -- the website you linked has information on what I need, but not how to go about getting it. Any information on steps?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You just get what they ask for, fill in the application form which is in the link and hand it in. Olga can help you.

Matilda

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Hi All--

I am really hoping someone can help me. I have been doing A LOT of research on how I can obtain Dominican citizenship through my parents but different sources are telling me different things. I have all of the required documents (Mother's birth certificate, Mother's Cedula, and my own Birth Certificate which is already in Spanish since I was born in Puerto Rico). From here I am not sure what the next steps are and who to contact.

Below are a list of my concerns-- hopefully you guys can provide some insights on how I can address these issues:

1. I am hoping to get Dominican citizenship by mid September (do you think this will be possible?)

2. Will I need to travel to the DR between now and then or can all the work be done at the nearest consulate/embassy? If I do need to travel to the DR how many times would I need to travel there since I do not live there, how long should my stays be? I've typically heard it takes two visit to get the citizenship (can one of these visits be avoided by mailing my documents and just going in for the oath ceremony?)

4. How much would the entire process cost to get my citizenship through lineage?

3. Would you guys recommend hiring a lawyer to handle this process for me? If so, how much would you expect me to pay the lawyer (I reached out to one firm and they charged me $800 USD-- I was not sure if this is a lot or a little). If I do it through a firm will I still need to travel to the DR two times as well, what other firms would you recommend to take my case and get it done ASAP.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Alright, so I went through this process last year. My father is Dominican and with getting everything done it can take a while. I wouldn't recommend getting a lawyer or any of that stuff. Depending on when you're going to be in the DR this is the exact process you have to do. 1. You need a LEGALIZED birth certificate translated into Spanish (yours is already in Spanish, still don't know if they'll accept it) you need to get it apostilled from the place it was issued in your case Puerto Rico. They do translate the apostille. It's pointless but they still require it. 2nd. You need a photo copy of your mom's cédula and her us ID (both sides) 3RD. You need a legalized copy and normal copy of your mom's birth certificate from the junta in the city she was born. 4thYou also need to go to banresedvas to pay the impuestos (I forgot what for, but it's necessary) if I remember I will let you know. 5th you need to go the procuraderia here in Santo Domingo with your trnalstaed legalized birth certificate.. MAKE SURE IT HAS A STAMP. or they won't accept it. 6th. Go to the JCE here in SD and take all of your documents. You can pay 2000 (that was my cost) for expedited service. 7th once you have all of your documents take this the junta in where your residence is in the DR and they will create your Dominican birth certificate and take your Cedula photo. For me, since I lived in a town near cotui I had to finish all my stuff in cotui but get my Cedula in the mini junta in the town I was living since cotui is a bigger city. If I confused you. Just private message me or write on here. I will investigate about the banreservas thing. I just remember having to go to the bank and pay those. Overall cost if I remember everything correctly was around 15000? But remember I had to get my BC translated at 1000 a page. You need to have a legalized apostilled BC from puerto Rico. Since it's in Spanish I don't know how they go about that here.

dedewr

Jul 7, 2017
After emailing Matilda she gave me a surprising response. Sounds like they are making the process to get naturalized through parentage a bit more difficult. What do you think of it? A "special power" I'm not sure who that special power might be but I'll keep you guys posted. 

This was her message: te respondo mañana luego de chequear nuevos requisitos.. 
recién antes de ayer me han informado de cambios, que
incluyen necesidad de un PODER ESPECIAL para hacer las
diligencias en nombre del cliente.-
Olga M. Viñas

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
After emailing Matilda she gave me a surprising response. Sounds like they are making the process to get naturalized through parentage a bit more difficult. What do you think of it? A "special power" I'm not sure who that special power might be but I'll keep you guys posted. 

This was her message: te respondo mañana luego de chequear nuevos requisitos.. 
recién antes de ayer me han informado de cambios, que
incluyen necesidad de un PODER ESPECIAL para hacer las
diligencias en nombre del cliente.-
Olga M. Viñas

Wouldn't surprise me. Policies change a lot here obviously its just for financial gain. Also another quick tip. Once you do get your cédula make sure they input all your info in the system right there because I have had trouble opening a bank account because my Cedula doesn't appear in the system and they might try to charge you for that. My Cedula says I can't vote because I got mine after the cut off date before the elections. Yours should be valid for 2020 if you choose to vote.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The special power:

Recently the rules changed and only a legitimately recognized lawyer is allowed to represent you or submit paperwork at Migracion. In some cases, you may still need to be present. For processes involving other Govt. departments, it may or may not be possible to have a non-lawyer appear as your agent and act on your behalf.