should i move to dr?

jo2na

Feb 24, 2002
I live in usa, new jersey, and i like it here, but love it in dr. And my dad lives there and told me he just bought a huge house. flat in the middle of the capital. and i love it there, but im still in high school, and im doing very well, but im afraid that if i move there, the education will not be the same, and that the opportunity's are'nt ass good as they are here. i speak and write very good spanish. but im worried on making the wrong choice. i need some comments. thank you!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Love It in the DR.

jo2na. The best thing you have done is ask. It shows some maturity on your part. I think by your comments you have answered your own question. "but im still in high school, and im doing very well, but im afraid that if i move there, the education will not be the same, and that the opportunity's are'nt ass good as they are here."

What you need to ask yourself is: what goals and dreams do you have and how you would go about to realize them, let's say within ten years. Then visualize yourself in each location now and ask yourself which one offers you the best opportunity to reach those goals and dreams. I'm sure you will make the right choice. You have a wonderful lifetime in front of you and please continue to do very well in school. Good Luck! Regards, PJT

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
DR MOVE?

jo2na,

If you are doing well where you are, consider at least finishing High School, THEN think about a move. :)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
college

jo2na, since you are doing well in high school, my advice would be to also go to college in the USA. Develop some skills and knowledge and you will be glad you did.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
DR MOVE

jo2na,

As a follow-up to Mondongo:...............This is the time to plan your life. You already get good grades, AND you can be totally bilingual with a little work!

You have the qualities my son had. He spent five years in Spanish schools as a teen in the DR.

He came back to the US, went to Univ. of Southern Calif { USC }. He has a degree in International Relations [Business minor] and is a VP in an Import/Export company in Miami.

He is 34 y/o, making BIG bucks and travels all over the Southern Hemisphere.

You can do the same or better. There is life beyond High School.:)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Summer Vacations

Since your Dad lives here I would try to spend summer here (maybe some Spanish courses while you're here), get to know the country and the people, make some friends and contact.
Finish your US schooling and then think about making a permanent move.
the previous posts had some top notch recommendations.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd suggest that you start by spending the coming summer with your father. While here, visit the schools that you would have to choose between if you moved here and find out about their curriculum, teaching and administrative staff. Take a look at their books, their labs, if you are in science courses. I would also suggest that you make it a point to talk with some of the students who attend the school to see what they have to say. Someone at each of the schools should be able to help you make contact with students of like interests and abilities as yours.

You aren't going to get an answer to your question on this message board. You'll only get personal opinions and advice which may or may not be of any value. To answer your question I really believe will take a lot of research and investigation which can best be done here. Think of this as your project for the coming summer. You'll learn a lot, meet and talk with some interesting people, and will come to conclusions that will be the answer to your question.

Regarding college, the fact you finish highschool here doesn't mean attending college here. I'm sure that if you talk with some capable students at the schools you are investigating that you'll find they, too, plan to attend college in the US. On this subject, also ask at the schools what their placement rate is with respect to students going on to college and universities in the US. Even more important, find out where they go. Are they being accepted into the sort of schools and programs that you are considering? It is important for you to know.

You already know what your prospects are if you stay in the US, and you obviously have certain expectations based on them. Now you need to gather the sort of information that will enable you to evaluate your prospects if you finish your high school education here.

Good luck. Sounds to me that you will do well no matter where you finish high school.