The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Hola,
at the beginning I would like to tell you, i was thinking a lot about: "should i write this post or not?"
I decided YES, but still not sure if that was a good decission.

I'm not expat living in DR, i just visited the country and the city several times in last months and want to share my observations & experiences.

I'm disappointed, perhaps I was from the beginning too naive?
I was thinking "it's a poor country, but people are nice, helpfull, open"

IMPORTANT: To all my thesis here apply for MOST of the people in DR. Not for ALL. There are no general/100% rules which apply to all people in any country. It's about the trend. Even if i write "All Dominican" i mean "most" :)

1. In DR nobody is respecting appointments/agreements and your time.
Coming one hour later or not coming at all is usual in DR. You can not rely on anything. People don't even inform you, that they come later or don't come. All the simplest things which can be easily achieved in a good organized country takes sooo much time and effort in DR. On both sides: privat (friends & family) and on business/government. Dominicans don't respect you, agreements and your time. A kind of well learned helplessness.

2. Every white is a millionaire.
It doesn't matter where you are, what you buy, when they see a white person, it means automatically: "he is rich" so lets f**k him. He came to this country to serve as ATM. I'm European but come from not so rich country (Poland). Even in rich european countries there are people who have to survive for several hundred euros per month. If Dominicans see white people, the prices double or triple. Everyone tries to cheat on you.

3. DR is dirty
It really doesn't cost any money to not throw away the garbage on the street in front of your house.
Do the Dominicans like to live within this garbage? They feel good? My mom was making jokes in Santo Domingo seeing on many cars "Christo vienne". She said: "yes, Jesus will come and first clean the streets here. You need for sure act of god to achieve that"

4. Plastic bag madness.
In every store (supermarket) you get thousands of plastic bags. Even a single bread will be packed in two plastic bags.
Why? What for? Additionall source of garbage. In Europe most of the people take their own bags from home going shopping or buy the bags in the shops.

5. Dominicans are not helpfull
And it's not only about me, stupid white gringo. It's about how treat Dominicans each other (family & friends). Sacrifice for someone, help someone, think about someone is very rare. They simple don't care if they need to do a little effort. Passive and/or egoistic approach is very common.

6. Europeans (whites) are cold, distanced and cannot enjoy the life.
One of the most popular stereotypes in DR.
I would say in average polish people are less cold, less distanced than Dominicans and ARE HELPFULL. In my culture the HOSPITALITY is a big thing.
This is for me a basic to enjoy the life.

I could write more and longer :-/ Giving many other examples.

So, for me DR is poor because it is mentally poor. With such state of mind the country never will be nice place to live. I think in 1989 as my country (Poland) sent back Russians and Red Army, liberated after 45 years of communism occupation the GDP per capita was even higher in DR than in Poland (DR didn't have communism like Cuba). I've checked now GDP per capita and it's almost double higher in Poland than in DR. I know this comparision is not fair. There are thousand factors for economical development, but in my opinion is also connected to the "state of mind".

As I wrote at the beginning. Beeing naive i was thinking "poor but good, helpful people with a great hospitality"
Unfortunately I was wrong.
Belive me or not, but my attitude was very positive and sympathy to the country was very high at the begininng.

I'm disappointent :-(

best regards
topek

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola,
at the beginning I would like to tell you, i was thinking a lot about: "should i write this post or not?"
I decided YES, but still not sure if that was a good decission.

I'm not expat living in DR, i just visited the country and the city several times in last months and want to share my observations & experiences.

I'm disappointed, perhaps I was from the beginning too naive?
I was thinking "it's a poor country, but people are nice, helpfull, open"

IMPORTANT: To all my thesis here apply for MOST of the people in DR. Not for ALL. There are no general/100% rules which apply to all people in any country. It's about the trend. Even if i write "All Dominican" i mean "most" :)

1. In DR nobody is respecting appointments/agreements and your time.
Coming one hour later or not coming at all is usual in DR. You can not rely on anything. People don't even inform you, that they come later or don't come. All the simplest things which can be easily achieved in a good organized country takes sooo much time and effort in DR. On both sides: privat (friends & family) and on business/government. Dominicans don't respect you, agreements and your time. A kind of well learned helplessness.

2. Every white is a millionaire.
It doesn't matter where you are, what you buy, when they see a white person, it means automatically: "he is rich" so lets f**k him. He came to this country to serve as ATM. I'm European but come from not so rich country (Poland). Even in rich european countries there are people who have to survive for several hundred euros per month. If Dominicans see white people, the prices double or triple. Everyone tries to cheat on you.

3. DR is dirty
It really doesn't cost any money to not throw away the garbage on the street in front of your house.
Do the Dominicans like to live within this garbage? They feel good? My mom was making jokes in Santo Domingo seeing on many cars "Christo vienne". She said: "yes, Jesus will come and first clean the streets here. You need for sure act of god to achieve that"

4. Plastic bag madness.
In every store (supermarket) you get thousands of plastic bags. Even a single bread will be packed in two plastic bags.
Why? What for? Additionall source of garbage. In Europe most of the people take their own bags from home going shopping or buy the bags in the shops.

5. Dominicans are not helpfull
And it's not only about me, stupid white gringo. It's about how treat Dominicans each other (family & friends). Sacrifice for someone, help someone, think about someone is very rare. They simple don't care if they need to do a little effort. Passive and/or egoistic approach is very common.

6. Europeans (whites) are cold, distanced and cannot enjoy the life.
One of the most popular stereotypes in DR.
I would say in average polish people are less cold, less distanced than Dominicans and ARE HELPFULL. In my culture the HOSPITALITY is a big thing.
This is for me a basic to enjoy the life.

I could write more and longer :-/ Giving many other examples.

So, for me DR is poor because it is mentally poor. With such state of mind the country never will be nice place to live. I think in 1989 as my country (Poland) sent back Russians and Red Army, liberated after 45 years of communism occupation the GDP per capita was even higher in DR than in Poland (DR didn't have communism like Cuba). I've checked now GDP per capita and it's almost double higher in Poland than in DR. I know this comparision is not fair. There are thousand factors for economical development, but in my opinion is also connected to the "state of mind".

As I wrote at the beginning. Beeing naive i was thinking "poor but good, helpful people with a great hospitality"
Unfortunately I was wrong.
Belive me or not, but my attitude was very positive and sympathy to the country was very high at the begininng.

I'm disappointent :-(

best regards
topek

A couple of things are wrong with your premise. I don't no where you are from but whether it is Europe or North America your mind set is just that. It is not the thinking of a Domincian. What bothers you about the DR is the way of life in the DR. You can complain and think you can change minds. This is really not possible. Those who are ex-pats and have come to the DR to live must adjust their thinking or they will not last. You either need to do this or I would suggest your frustration will only grow. There is a long learning curve in the DR. If you think you are going to visit and change peoples habits you are sorely mistaken. Accept life here as it is or go to Miami Beach.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
A couple of things are wrong with your premise. I don't no where you are from
You read my post? :) Poland was mentioned 3 times.

It is not the thinking of a Domincian.
I realized

What bothers you about the DR is the way of life in the DR.
I have a friend who works around the globe. Also many years in Africa.
He said: It's a state of mind. They will be always poor and have hunger.
In my opinion the only way is educations. Takes generations...
:-(

You can complain and think you can change minds. This is really not possible.
Its possible but needs a lot of time.
Not in my hands / radius.
I don't want to change them. I was just writing about my disappointment.
"Ok, they are poor, but for sure, nice, helpfull and so on".
No they are not.
My friends have been in Romania (poorest European Union country). They were really impressed by the people. Very helpful. Invited to their houses in the villages to share the food.

Those who are ex-pats and have come to the DR to live must adjust their thinking or they will not last. You either need to do this or I would suggest your frustration will only grow.
Thanks god, I don't plan to live in DR.
My anger frustration was extremly high last time. So i would kill all of them or they will kill me :)
10 millions : 1 is not a fair ratio :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Ride it out, it gets better. Remember, you're a product of your environment :)

The person who started this thread does not live in the DR, has no investment either in time or money. I really would not put too much trust in anything he is saying. It sounds like he has had a bad experience and that translates in negatives feelings for the whole country. As I said before it is hard to leave your North American thinking at home. Coming here as a visitor can be a crap shoot if you have no clue.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Ride it out, it gets better. Remember, you're a product of your environment :)

But i really cannot understand how the people feel good living within the trash?
Is it not more nice to live in a clean environment?
This is out of my understanding. How you can want to live like that?

Why you don't respect appointments and don't even call when you don't arrive?

You don't need money for above mentioned things. It's just your attitude. It's for free.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know people who don't like Las Vegas..... for their own reasons....

Everything isn't for everybody...

takes time to find a niche....and may not be possible for some.

Compromises.... life is full of them

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
topek,
they know about their tardiness....
if you mentioned it , they just shrug and pass it off as being Dominican

Yes, they're messy with garbage...
They are starting at the school level to 're-teach' this....it will take time.

They have trouble changing their daily routine..... not easy to reroute trhem for daily chores in many cases.

It's a long list.... but really, nothing that's a deal breaker - at least for me.

Idiosyncrasies, some would call them

topek

Sep 11, 2016
The person who started this thread does not live in the DR
No i dont live in DR. Its obvious when you read my first post.

I really would not put too much trust in anything he is saying.
Why?
It's my own experience. I wrote the truth.

It sounds like he has had a bad experience and that translates in negatives feelings for the whole country.
Thats true.
I have bad expriences. It happend to much and the pattern was always the same.
I have been several times in DR. So I allow me some kind of generalization.
And it is normal that you projects your experience to the whole country.

My german co-worker has also negative experience from my counry (Poland). I don't have influence on his experience.

As I said before it is hard to leave your North American thinking at home.
My god, you really don't read the posts.
I'm not north american.
By the way. Mexico is also North America :)

Coming here as a visitor can be a crap shoot if you have no clue.
I traveled to many countries in my life without "having clue".
This is my first big "disappointment".

kind regards
topek

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I just don't know the point of your post. Are these things deal-breakers? Do they keep you from visiting? If they don't, then why worry about them. If they do, then don't come. If the purpose of your post is just to vent your frustrations, I understand. But I don't think it is realistic to expect the culture to change. If someone is habitually late to an appointment, tell them it's not acceptable and if they continue to ignore your concern, don't do business of be friends with them. If the trash bothers you, pick it up. Yes, it would be nice if the world lived according to your expectations.... I haven't ever visited Poland (which it seems does not have the particular problems you mention), but I expect I could find something to dislike there.... :)

topek

Sep 11, 2016
topek,
they know about their tardiness....
if you mentioned it , they just shrug and pass it off as being Dominican

Yes, they're messy with garbage...
They are starting at the school level to 're-teach' this....it will take time.

They have trouble changing their daily routine..... not easy to reroute trhem for daily chores in many cases.

It's a long list.... but really, nothing that's a deal breaker - at least for me.

Idiosyncrasies, some would call them

I agree. Only education...

Then tell me.
What do you like about the country?

kind regards
topek

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree. Only education...

Then tell me.
What do you like about the country?

kind regards
topek

we have spent a lot of time on this topic topek....a lot of time.

An answer would be fruitless to you since it would apply to me only.

we all might agree.... we might not.

however , we usually agree on one thing.
We need a holiday from the country every once in a while....

topek

Sep 11, 2016
I just don't know the point of your post. Are these things deal-breakers? Do they keep you from visiting? If they don't, then why worry about them. If they do, then don't come. If the purpose of your post is just to vent your frustrations, I understand.
Yes, i share my frustration and disappointment.
Perhaps my expectations were to high?

I decide to write my post because was courious about the answers. I like to read other opinions.

But I don't think it is realistic to expect the culture to change.
Where do i write, that i expect it will change?
I just listed my disappointments.

If someone is habitually late to an appointment, tell them it's not acceptable and if they continue to ignore your concern, don't do business of be friends with them.
I did already. Removed from facebook, blocked in Whatsapp as a last steps. I will never want to meet them again.

If the trash bothers you, pick it up. Yes, it would be nice if the world lived according to your expectations....
I'm not Jesus. It's enought that i don't throw my trash to the streets, even if i have to carry empty bottle for several minutes.

I haven't ever visited Poland (which it seems does not have the particular problems you mention), but I expect I could find something to dislike there.... :)
For sure. YOu have different perspective.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Your fellow Pole.....dv8 , is the experta at resurrecting conversations like that.

I am sorry to leave now..... have a 2 hour drive in front of me

enjoy yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.