Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Our friend topek might have abandoned us......

Suspiciously silent.....

Moderator - Off-Topic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    DRob, In your first comment to Joe Boots you comment that his stating "many points are valid" is entirely his subjective point of view which is exactly what you go on to do addressing his other points?
    As far as appointments it's not a matter of operating as efficiently as Germans it is a lack of any sense of responsibility.

As long as the good continues to outweigh the bad I will remain here.
    A few things:

I don't think it's about a lack of responsibility so much as a lack of desire to operate according to your expectations. Remember, a lot of people move to the Caribbean to "slow down," get "out of the rat race," and all that. Suffice to say, the locals agree with you, lol. So much so that their idea of "slow" more substantial than yours.

If you want to "slow down," but expect the locals to keep acting like it's the lunchtime rush in your town's business sector, you may be heading towards disappointment.

Second, as to trash, it's not as if I much care for it either. Can't stand to be driving behind someone in the states who just sees the Great Outdoors as their personal dumping ground. My point is, it happens. Hispaniola is much smaller than the US, so fewer places to hide the trash. I'm not saying it's not right, just that I'm not surprised. 

Finally, I appreciate you may very well be the exception to the "economic leverage" rule. That said, you ARE the exception. The DR is one of the cheapest places considered fairly desirable to live in the Caribbean. There's no shortage of threads and posts of retirees and expats talking about how there was no way they could replicate their lifestyle in the states. In addition to the scenery, the simple fact is many expats move here because their love (or at least sex) life is infinitely better than in the states.

If you've been here for a while, you know what I mean. Gringos are regularly seen with locals who they would have absolutely no chance of being with back in the states. Said local is with them not necessarily for "love" as much for access to a better lifestyle.

I mean, I'm in my late 40s, and am not considered the Worst Catch Ever. That said, it's rare that I catch the eye of a woman under 30. In DR, it's easy to meet tons of women in their 20s and 30s, and I'm talking about in the middle of the workday in Santiago. You go to the usual sex tourist spots, you'll see men and women cavorting with locals a third their age.

And it ain't because of respecting one's elders so much as loving that dollar. 

Better recognize the game you're playing, and that in reality most folks are more prey than hunter.
    Off-Topic Forum
    DR1 moderator

3. Dislikes sanpedrogringo disliked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep speaking for yourself........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The noise is hard to get used to, and the motorcycles ubiquitous for certain.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DRob you make a lot of assumptions as to what I meant. I am not saying its a "Dominican Thing". But if the city is dirty its dirty. Yes some places are dirty in DR. Appointments, yes other country s are not punctual. And DR is one of them. I never intended to be a rock star. Just want my money to go further. When I say rich gringo why do you assume young girls? A lot of this is infused with your perceptions not mine, and says much of how you think, not how I think.

Moderator - Off-Topic
    Post Thanks / Like

I was making a general comment, Joe, didn't mean you personally. 

Have a good evening.
    Off-Topic Forum
    DR1 moderator

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    A few things:

I don't think it's about a lack of responsibility so much as a lack of desire to operate according to your expectations. Remember, a lot of people move to the Caribbean to "slow down," get "out of the rat race," and all that. Suffice to say, the locals agree with you, lol. So much so that their idea of "slow" more substantial than yours.

If you want to "slow down," but expect the locals to keep acting like it's the lunchtime rush in your town's business sector, you may be heading towards disappointment.

Second, as to trash, it's not as if I much care for it either. Can't stand to be driving behind someone in the states who just sees the Great Outdoors as their personal dumping ground. My point is, it happens. Hispaniola is much smaller than the US, so fewer places to hide the trash. I'm not saying it's not right, just that I'm not surprised. 

Finally, I appreciate you may very well be the exception to the "economic leverage" rule. That said, you ARE the exception. The DR is one of the cheapest places considered fairly desirable to live in the Caribbean. There's no shortage of threads and posts of retirees and expats talking about how there was no way they could replicate their lifestyle in the states. In addition to the scenery, the simple fact is many expats move here because their love (or at least sex) life is infinitely better than in the states.

If you've been here for a while, you know what I mean. Gringos are regularly seen with locals who they would have absolutely no chance of being with back in the states. Said local is with them not necessarily for "love" as much for access to a better lifestyle.

I mean, I'm in my late 40s, and am not considered the Worst Catch Ever. That said, it's rare that I catch the eye of a woman under 30. In DR, it's easy to meet tons of women in their 20s and 30s, and I'm talking about in the middle of the workday in Santiago. You go to the usual sex tourist spots, you'll see men and women cavorting with locals a third their age.

Better recognize the game you're playing, and that in reality most folks are more prey than hunter.
    Very True it's all about the Dead Presidents.... but it does feel good to be with them... just always remember the reason why
    they are with you...in the mean time enjoy life to the fullest

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with the premise of the women chasing the money , honey....

There also is a mood among Dominicanas that is fed up with the macho attitude and status quo of the :
    Dominican men.
    Not enough work, take the women's money and blow it on beer, rum and girlfriends....

They want the 'new world ' relationships.... and that means a foreigner.

Imagine what happens to these women after 30 or 35 or 40.
    Prospects are slim for them in this country.

Some are pursuing the almighty dollar certainly.
    Others are just looking for better treatment.... a better life/partner 

That's my take....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    While I agree with the premise of the women chasing the money , honey....

Imagine what happens to these women after 30 or 35 or 40.
    Prospects are slim for them in this country.
    Prospects are impossible, especially when the ratio of women to men is something like 4/1 in DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    A few things:

There is ALOT of innuendo in this post.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast