Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramesses View Post
    From what I read here, the Caribbean is not for you. Many people cannot take the culture change. It is what it is. Big world, there is somewhere for everyone.
    What you describe here is true and not just with the DR but most other Caribbean islands. Even Americans who go to "live the dream" on the US islands face this same issue and most who sell everything to follow their dreams leave disenchanted and broken in 4-6 months.There are so many cultural differences down here that most people have a very difficult time adjusting. Thinks like the foods they are accustomed to not being available, cars stopping in the middle of the road, how long it takes to get food ordered in a restaurant, and especially the length of time it takes to get things done here. People fresh in from the world just can't fathom "Island Time", and usually don't stick around long enough to figure out how to go around it.

To the OP, you are not the first to experience the feelings of disgust that you have and you most certainly will not be the last. I wish you good luck in your future adventures.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

He who fights and runs away ......

Shall live to fight another day

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by topek View Post
    Dear folks,

i really didn't come here to troll or irritate someone.
    I just try to use arguments and arguing in the best way i can.

I don't like opinions without any evidence and background. I always try to be fair.

At the end it was worth to start this "war" and put effort.
    I confirm some of my thesis, other not.
    Its a process. I simply like to understand and don't think that my current understanding is final one. Every one of us is evaluating, also through discussion and exchanging point of views.

The only arguments which really hits me, was the expression, that someone likes the dominican freedom (giving few pesos to achive goals, feeling good in kind of anarchy).
    I'm not like that. Mentally i'm an old conservative. I like quite, clean, organized and respecting the rules.
    DR was first country in my life which is not so developed like Europe or USA, perhaps this is my "problem".

I had a talk last Wednesday with my coworker who took sabatical and went to Costa Rica. He bought 40 hectars of ground and wanted to save rainforest (beat that ). His experience is simliar to mine. He came back disappointed after 9 months.

So i think it is important what is your mindset. What do you like, what are no-GOs and values which cannot be skipped.

Thank you for all the positive and negative reactions. For sure they took me a bit further.
    its pretty simple if you dont like it here .. go try another place.. DR is not for everyone....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    Lol. DR is, objectively speaking, far less expensive than Grand Cayman, the US or British Virgin Islands in general, Barbados, Bermuda, St. Maarten and the Bahamas, all of which I've spent time in. There is a reason so many pensioners come here: because they can. 

Or do you believe someone on social security will thrive in Georgetown? Didn't think so.

Let's face it, the trust fund/investor class isn't really going to be concerned about a 30% tax when eating out, are they? Because in the states, an 18% tip plus 8% tax gets you pretty close to that "onerous" tax, and that's just at Applebees.

I am not trying to discuss the act of sex, so much as the fact many move here because of the access to sex partners they wouldn't have back at home. As I've said previously, there is nothing that makes a person think they have the sex appeal of an in-his-prime Brad Pitt than the opening of the plane door after landing in DR.

Even if it's inapplicable to you, it exists, and is a real incentive to get on that plane. Problem is, there are entirely too many people who forget they couldn't get a decent date at Applebees back home, who instantly think their charm is fueling their new-found popularity.

Which, of course, is piffle. It's the money. It's the potential green card. Which is fine, I mean if they wanted to have the power of a relatively wealthy person, which a pensioner can do in DR, so be it. Just don't delude yourself or others.

Excuse me, but it's time to go stand at the border of my campo, wondering what may be beyond it. Not that it matters. 
    within the next decade, 29 million baby boomers will have retired without any kind of pension plan. not even social security. they will not be able to rent or buy a tool shed in the USA , or Canada. real estate is being outpriced for even people with full time jobs. imagine a guy who retired, and has to live on savings.

well, they will do what those before them have done. they will head to other parts of the world, where they can afford to live. there are a million American citizens in Mexico, and close to 100,000 in the Dominican Republic. they are what is known as retirement migrants, who have left the USA for various reasons, not the least of which is affordability. a lot of them are right here on DR1, and most of them do not post from St Barts.

5. Likes USA DOC, RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    within the next decade, 29 million baby boomers will have retired without any kind of pension plan. not even social security. they will not be able to rent or buy a tool shed in the USA , or Canada. real estate is being outpriced for even people with full time jobs. imagine a guy who retired, and has to live on savings.

well, they will do what those before them have done. they will head to other parts of the world, where they can afford to live. there are a million American citizens in Mexico, and close to 100,000 in the Dominican Republic. they are what is known as retirement migrants, who have left the USA for various reasons, not the least of which is affordability. a lot of them are right here on DR1, and most of them do not post from St Barts.
    ...you can get "lucky with the chicas here...but not with the money......Doc......

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728