FYI Jetblue drops first bag free to DR with basic fare purchase

Jan 9, 2004
Up until recently, Jetblue allowed the first bag free of charge on all flights to the DR no matter what type of ticketed fare you purchased.

That has now changed.

If you purchase their basic fare (Blue), you will pay an additional $25.00 for the first bag. However, for those that have the Jetblue affinity Mastercard and use it to purchase a basic fare, you will still receive the first bag free.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
There was an uproar in SDQ earlier this week regarding it, as there was no advance warning given to passengers. It was covered by the Dominican news, and many thought it was due to a computer error. People were not aware of the additional charge until they attempted to check in, causing many hot tempered moments. As I will be using JetBlue this week, I'll give them an old fashioned phone call in a little bit, and let you know what they tell me.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
The info as provided above is correct. I prefer to speak to a rep on the phone rather than use the website, because sometimes they are delayed in updating their info. I just got off the phone with the rep, and for US flights to the DR, the following is in order:
Basic Blue Fare: 1 Carry-on and 1 personal item. 1st Bag-$25 2nd Bag-$35
Blue+ Fare: 1 Carry-on, 1 personal item, and 1 checked bag under 50lbs. 2nd bag-$35
Blue Flex Fare: 1 Carry-on, 1 personal item, and 2 checked bags under 50lbs, along with the flexibility to change travel dates.
According to the rep, this is not just for trips to the DR, but in accordance with Jet Blue policy across the board already in effect. Supposedly, this went into effect in February. Regardless of fare chosen, passengers to the Dominican Republic are still limited to 2 under 50lb checked bags.
**I used the JetBlue #1-800-538-2583, had a wait time of 4 minutes, with an option to receive a call back instead of holding. Not bad for a Sunday.

Jan 9, 2004
The info as provided above is correct. I prefer to speak to a rep on the phone rather than use the website, because sometimes they are delayed in updating their info. I just got off the phone with the rep, and for US flights to the DR, the following is in order:
Basic Blue Fare: 1 Carry-on and 1 personal item. 1st Bag-$25 2nd Bag-$35
Blue+ Fare: 1 Carry-on, 1 personal item, and 1 checked bag under 50lbs. 2nd bag-$35
Blue Flex Fare: 1 Carry-on, 1 personal item, and 2 checked bags under 50lbs, along with the flexibility to change travel dates.
According to the rep, this is not just for trips to the DR, but in accordance with Jet Blue policy across the board already in effect. Supposedly, this went into effect in February. Regardless of fare chosen, passengers to the Dominican Republic are still limited to 2 under 50lb checked bags.
**I used the JetBlue #1-800-538-2583, had a wait time of 4 minutes, with an option to receive a call back instead of holding. Not bad for a Sunday.

If you do a minimum of 2 roundtrips a year on Jetblue to DR, get the Jetblue Plus Card. $99.00 per year, free first bag, plus 30,000 bonus miles to sign up (just spend $1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening) and 6x points for every Jetblue flight purchase, 2x points at grocery stores, restaurants and 1x points for all other purchases. This is in addition to the miles you accrue while flying. 1 point =1 mile.

Normally, I am not a fan of cards that charge an annual fee, but this has been worth it for me. You receive an additional 5,000 bonus points upon annual renewal. No blackout dates on using points for flights. I treat it like my former AMEX card and pay the bill monthly to avoid those interest charges.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I'm guessing they used a travel agent to book their flight instead of using website where the information is there . Jetblue is also cracking down on the multiple bags people are carrying on.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm guessing they used a travel agent to book their flight instead of using website where the information is there . Jetblue is also cracking down on the multiple bags people are carrying on.

I sure hope so. It is already overly abused...and now with a first checked bag fee....it likely will get worse....before it gets better.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If you sign up for their Card its FREE or included ..but the card is $99 a year, so you have to do the math to see if it works for you. for most of us , its worth it .. they really are becoming Scoundrels ..but as was said, too many people were taking advantage .
Have you seen the SIZE of the Carry on's these Fools try to bring onto the plane? How do they get past TSA with them ?
Its at the point where I am more than willing to Pay Extra for an up front Seat
.. to avoid any problems with carry on Room .. Board as fast as possible , there are always problems at the end .

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Does anyone know if Delta still has the first checked bag free, with any ticket? they did about 4 months ago.....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
...Does anyone know if Delta still has the first checked bag free, with any ticket? they did about 4 months ago.....

Are u kidding.. THEY are the ones who started this whole Mess ... as I recall..
someone correct me if I am wrong..

TO:U.S. Virgin Islands, Mexico,
Central America, Caribbean, Guyana, & Bermuda

25 USD/CAD1,2

40 USD/CAD1

2 FREE (First Class , Delta Premium Select)

Not Including Sprint.. they were always Scoundrels ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All the airlines are doing this new price structure...low fare gets you Zero...

Every one is bad....at least in the US....

WestJet in Canada is still OK...barely, but OK

Look at Spirit makes on the add-ons .... big numbers

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is not new. JetBlue changed their system over a year ago. On the website it gives you the choice to choose which fare you want and shows you what bags are included in each fare. These people think they are sneaky and wanted to choose the cheapest fare and then try to sneak by at the airport like they didn't know.
I am a JetBlue mosaic customer and this has been the case for well over a year.

SHALENA

Jan 9, 2004
This is not new. JetBlue changed their system over a year ago. On the website it gives you the choice to choose which fare you want and shows you what bags are included in each fare. These people think they are sneaky and wanted to choose the cheapest fare and then try to sneak by at the airport like they didn't know.
I am a JetBlue mosaic customer and this has been the case for well over a year.

SHALENA

Sure is new.

I agree that Jetblue has had those tiered fares for some time and bags were not free for flights in the US.

However, it is just recently that they began charging for the first bag on flights to/from the Caribbean with the basic fare. Flights to/from the Caribbean were for a long time exempt from bag fees regardless of fare class. That is part of the uproar in the media and at the airport in SD over the last week.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
This was Jetblue's baggage policy as regards the DR and specifically STI/SDQ baggage fare when they introduced the tiered fare system;

From the Jet Blue web site when they began tiered fares in 6/2015;

1. For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 when purchased during web check-in or at a kiosk, or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included. For Blue and Blue Plus fares for flights to or from Santo Domingo, Santiago, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Kingston, Cartagena, Medell�n, Bogota, Lima and Mexico City: one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Mint fares: two checked bags are included. For all fares, any additional bags are $100 each. All bags are subject to size/weight and other restrictions. Other fees apply for oversized or overweight baggage. See JetBlue | Baggage info.

They have recently begun charging $25.00 for the first bag on Blue (basic) fares.

Plan accordingly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I have to agree with playacaribe2, only because I have directly experienced it. I just saw the news of people going nuts at the counter at SDQ this past week. There was no trying to get over, as the policy didn't apply to all of Jet Blue's routes, as explained to me by a customer service rep earlier today.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Are u kidding.. THEY are the ones who started this whole Mess ... as I recall..
someone correct me if I am wrong..

TO:U.S. Virgin Islands, Mexico,
Central America, Caribbean, Guyana, & Bermuda

25 USD/CAD1,2

40 USD/CAD1

2 FREE (First Class , Delta Premium Select)

Not Including Sprint.. they were always Scoundrels ...

...yes you are right about Delta...they never miss a chance to get to your wallet.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The trick is to join 'The Club' of your airline....

I and my travel companion get free bag on United..... regardless.
Better everything....

Easy to join ... yes a fee annually.... but the benefits outweigh the cost

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Jet Blue is still the way to go from the US. Unless you need a ton of bells and whistles attached. To each their own.