How to include pictures in a post on DR1

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't have a problem putting a picture in a post, but apparently some of you do. Here's how I do it. If this doesn't work for you, we need to figure out why it doesn't work for you. Hope this helps.

Step 1:

If you "Post a new thread" you are already in advanced editing mode. If you reply to an existing post within a forum, you need to select "Go Advanced". Your editor window should look like this.

Capture1.jpg

Step 2:

Write some words, or not. Then select "insert image" button.

Capture2.jpg

Step 3:

Choose either an image from another website or from your computer. I generally tend post pics that are already on my computer or ones I have downloaded to my computer first.

Capture3.jpg

Step 4:

Press "Select Files" and then select the picture(s) you wish to post to the message

Capture4.jpg

Select the picture(s) you wish to post

Step 5:

Press "Upload Files":

Capture5.jpg

Step 6:

There is no step 6, you are done.

ms tech.jpg

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am only allowed to post pics from a URL. I think as a Mod you have the privilege of posting from your computer.

Robert explained it that if it's from a URL it is a link and is not on his server, thus no liability to him.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I used to use tinypic but no longer works for me, and have tried half a dozen more and can't get any of them to work.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
99.9% regular user.........

I like it Buster
:classic:

only 3425 posts but each 4 pages long....
the Word Champion

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Trying yet again - this time with Imgur

0w4H0

If this doesn't work perhaps you can unmod yourself Cdn Gringo and work out how the rest of us can make it work!

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't post a lot of pictures and since I don't have an account on any of those picture posting sites I couldn't have used a URL. I was sure I was able to post images from my pc before I was a given the key to the playground. I may be mistaken. Robert will pop in eventually and set me straight.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
testing - nope the best I can do is post a link to the file on imgur. The option to have the forum site download the image and reference it locally generates an error.

Maybe making progress. With the same file as uploaded to imgur, I now get a file too large error. Let me go see if I can figure out the size limit here on DR1. Can't be size related, file is only 200K

Success. Let me duplicate the effort a few more times to make sure it works reliably and I'll get back to you.

http://imgur.com/a/jbUVk

jbUVk

gKO3GbE.jpg

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I used to use it all the time - now I upload and then get an error and nada. Imgur gives me a tiny box but no pic. I wait for instructions lol.

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
imgur solved

DR1 wants a url that points to a particular file. The shortcut/URL link provided by imgur is not a link to a file but a link to a specific web page.

After you drop your picture and it is uploaded to imgur, ignore the link the site gives you, right click on the image you uploaded (centre of your screen) and select "copy image address" or "copy link address"

Paste the copied link into the DR1 add image url box, uncheck the DR1 "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" and it should work.

Eg. The page link (What is copied when you click the provided imgur link button) to the image below is https://i.imgur.com/EJDCUdX

The link to the actual file is: https://i.imgur.com/EJDCUdX.png

Note the added file extension in the 2nd link [--------^^^

If you know the file extension of the file you uploaded you can use the shortcut provided by the site without right clicking but you will need to edit the url when you pasted it into the DR1 form and add the extension.

For those who are having problems with photo sites other than imgur, check to make sure the link you are posting into your DR1 post is a link to a file and not a web page.

EJDCUdX.png

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Trying yet again - this time with Imgur

0w4H0

If this doesn't work perhaps you can unmod yourself Cdn Gringo and work out how the rest of us can make it work!

Matilda

I can't get tinypic to work and the pic we as mods post from our computers come out very small. Mob you can get the url to work for you?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Here we go again

2ff53a26-2157-4f6a-9732-0330a11aaeaf

Mat

"http://imgur.com/2ff53a26-2157-4f6a-9732-0330a11aaeaf" doesn't take me to a valid web page on imgur.

Try this:

1) go to www.imgur.com
2) Either drag a picture file to the little box with the giraffe or use the "browse" button to upload a picture.
3) The screen you are now looking at should have your picture displayed in the centre and a link to the right
4) Do not click "copy" on the screen. Right click in the centre of your picture. Select the option to copy the file address. Paste this into the DR1 picture upload box.

The pasted url should be exactly same same as the one displayed on the imgur screen except for an added . + 3 letter file Ext at the end

Capture.jpg

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Innocent question, as I truly know nothing about this tech stuff, but it seems that the DR1 site was "down" twice this week for several hours. Could this be a reason for the problem? Were some sort of settings changed? Again, outside of logging on/logging off, I know crap about tech issues. Just asking.