Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Please Email Jet Blue to Re-Start AZS Flights from NYC

  1. #21
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Right Riva

    I posted the nucleus of a JetBlue internal memo....it was just as you say.

    They use a $ per seat per mile calculation...or some variation.
    They were selling seats too cheaply in order to reach the load factor .
    Punta Cana absorbed the volume at higher $$....not brain surgery....
    Understood, but I would be willing to pay more. As stated, the flights were mostly full when I took them. Oh well....

  2. #22
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    ? It's a pleasant two-hour drive from SDQ, which has plenty of flights going everywhere....

    Besides, I'm not sure how excited I'd be about Las Terrenas becoming a major thing for east coasters. Punta Cana gets the AI crowds, Puerto Plata/Sosua get the "weekend millionaires" convinced they can turn La Gatita and her amigas into honest women.

    LT is still very pleasant and, comparatively speaking, less commercialized and Americanized.

    The way it is now, is just fine.
    I agree with you - I love LT for the fact that I'm one of the few fat gringos on da playa

    I'm not a AI fan, as well as not being a fan of driving more than 30 mins to my hotel after landing somewhere. That's why I loved AZS, going to SDQ & then up to LT & back eats a day and I have limited vaca time.

    Looks like I'll be seeing Frank in Cabarete this Winter....

    And driving from POP is 1.5 hrs longer than from SDQ = No Bueno

  3. #23
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Rhyno View Post
    Understood, but I would be willing to pay more. As stated, the flights were mostly full when I took them. Oh well....


    The reason the flights were full was because they dropped prices to fill it.

    My earlier point...
    My daughters Christmas ticket was $1600 when I booked it.
    As the flight Day approached, it went to $800.

    I successfully applied for a refund.....

    That's how they fill a plane...with cheap seats.
    The Punta Cana flights sell higher.
    Which route would you serve , as JetBlue?

  4. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
  5. #24
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    The reason the flights were full was because they dropped prices to fill it.

    My earlier point...
    My daughters Christmas ticket was $1600 when I booked it.
    As the flight Day approached, it went to $800.

    I successfully applied for a refund.....

    That's how they fill a plane...with cheap seats.
    The Punta Cana flights sell higher.
    Which route would you serve , as JetBlue?
    No I get it - then raise the fare to AZS.

    I think we paid between $325 & $425 R/T from JFK to AZS, between 2013 & 2015.

    I'd pay under $500 to go. To me if they raised the fare a reasonable rate, the people who used those flights would still use them.

  6. #25
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They tried that...raising the fares ... didn't work.

    Planes were under filled...
    Witness the half price I eventually paid for my daughter 

    I remember how cheap those JFK to AZS were....and loved it.

    But that's history....dead, gone buried 

  7. #26
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    During high season which I am stuck into because of the kids as many people, the price were ridiculous (1500 USD !!). I still flew into SDQ and came out cheaper that way including Taxis IDA and Vuelta (or friends picking us up).

    As much as I love DR, I am not paying 1600*3 (nearly 4000 dollars !) for a 3.5 hours flights, I rather watch the fireworks on Copabana or chill in Koh Lanta for that price. Heck, I am sure I could get a good 10 days in all inclusive in Punta Cana for that price at the same period....And then they wonder why it never took off.

    Not regrets

  8. #27
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    I did that a year ago and got a response that it was not a profitable route which I think is a bs answer. If think the problem is the cost of fees charged by the company that runs the El Catey Airport. They have few flights coming in so they charge un-competitive rates to try to cover their costs. It would behoove the DR gov to work out a deal with an airline out of the NYC area to fly into El Catey. I can't understand why this is not a priority for their tourism minister in growing the business on the Samana Peninsula. The DR gov invests in the cost of building the airport but don't have an understanding on what airlines need to be able to fly into there. It is not that complicated to sit down with airline executives and find out what the problems are and fix them to make it as easy as possible for tourists to come. It is the same old story. These politicans don't want to be involved unless there is something in it for them. Very sad.
    I think language barrier is the problem.

  9. #28
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    During high season which I am stuck into because of the kids as many people, the price were ridiculous (1500 USD !!). I still flew into SDQ and came out cheaper that way including Taxis IDA and Vuelta (or friends picking us up).

    As much as I love DR, I am not paying 1600*3 (nearly 4000 dollars !) for a 3.5 hours flights, I rather watch the fireworks on Copabana or chill in Koh Lanta for that price. Heck, I am sure I could get a good 10 days in all inclusive in Punta Cana for that price at the same period....And then they wonder why it never took off.

    Not regrets

    Hi Africaida.  No you do not want 10 days here in PC at all inclusive.  Too many really awful low low quality tourists with equally terrible hotels now here. Not to mention traffic. Ugh! LT sounds so much nicer.  PC is now so disappointing with what they have and continue to turn it into.
    I can hardly begin to describe it. Brazil sounds purty good.

  10. Likes Africaida liked this post
  11. #29
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    16,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    'Frica....
    I hope checked on the price changes for those $$$ flights.

    In addition to my daughter's refund, her boyfriend flew in a couple of days later.
    We mentioned it to him - he checked and got $200+ off his fare.

    As for Steve's comments about excessive airport fees,
    I would need supporting info on that.
    PC is a privately run operated airport... I wonder what their charges are?

    I do know this... they hate to fill up here (airlines)... $$$fuel

  12. #30
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    'Frica....
    I hope checked on the price changes for those $$$ flights.

    In addition to my daughter's refund, her boyfriend flew in a couple of days later.
    We mentioned it to him - he checked and got $200+ off his fare.
    Did you get a refund as your cc was refunded or money as credits for future travel ?



    I need my money in my hands, I am old school

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •