Please Email Jet Blue to Re-Start AZS Flights from NYC

I'm guessing if enough people inquire about it, they may restart this flight.

Jet Blue flew from JFK to AZS on Saturdays & Wednesdays.

It was a great cheap easy flight to get to LT!! I always thought the flights were fairly booked if not full.

SO please email them here

https://www.jetblue.com/contact-us/email/ask/

And tell them to restart flights from NYC Area to AZS.

I miss LT and I don't want to fly into SDQ - I want my AZS Flight

Help a LT Lover out - Gracias

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm guessing if enough people inquire about it, they may restart this flight.

Jet Blue flew from JFK to AZS on Saturdays & Wednesdays.

It was a great cheap easy flight to get to LT!! I always thought the flights were fairly booked if not full.

SO please email them here

https://www.jetblue.com/contact-us/email/ask/

And tell them to restart flights from NYC Area to AZS.

I miss LT and I don't want to fly into SDQ - I want my AZS Flight

Help a LT Lover out - Gracias

I did that a year ago and got a response that it was not a profitable route which I think is a bs answer. If think the problem is the cost of fees charged by the company that runs the El Catey Airport. They have few flights coming in so they charge un-competitive rates to try to cover their costs. It would behoove the DR gov to work out a deal with an airline out of the NYC area to fly into El Catey. I can't understand why this is not a priority for their tourism minister in growing the business on the Samana Peninsula. The DR gov invests in the cost of building the airport but don't have an understanding on what airlines need to be able to fly into there. It is not that complicated to sit down with airline executives and find out what the problems are and fix them to make it as easy as possible for tourists to come. It is the same old story. These politicans don't want to be involved unless there is something in it for them. Very sad.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Same issue with Puerto Plata and I would suspect other DR airports. But I disagree that profitability does not come into play. The routes are not profitable, in part, because of the high operating costs of DR airports. The DR government does not seem to care.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I heard that there was not enough security at the airport and no company wants their plane stuffed with contraband which can put the aircraft out of service for periods of time.  Also heard that there is not enough FRIEGHT going out of El Catey so NO income there either..   And its for sure there are not enough hotel beds to warant multiple carriers with multiple flights.

One has to wonder though,  why there are still Dailey flights (charter) from Canada and we have no US carriers, what are the Canadiens doing that US carriers can't?...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The problem was the traffic... not enough.

In order to fill the flights, the had to drop the price... that's why we all got cheap seats.
They go where people pay the most.... and it isn't AZS.

Not enough beds on the peninsula....build and they will come.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
For those that enjoy the peninsula as it is now, be very, very careful of what you wish for. Build, and they will come? Jet Blue is actually doing you a favor.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aha, big picture.... the others just want a flight.....

You're right...
But remember, they didn't build the airport for fun... they want it used.

The newest in the country......AZS

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I heard that there was not enough security at the airport and no company wants their plane stuffed with contraband which can put the aircraft out of service for periods of time.  Also heard that there is not enough FRIEGHT going out of El Catey so NO income there either..   And its for sure there are not enough hotel beds to warant multiple carriers with multiple flights.

One has to wonder though,  why there are still Dailey flights (charter) from Canada and we have no US carriers, what are the Canadiens doing that US carriers can't?...

If I was the DR Gov I would tell JetBlue if you want all the other routes into the DR you WILL fly a couple of times a week into El Catey. At least during late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. Not that diffucult.

The problem was the traffic... not enough.

In order to fill the flights, the had to drop the price... that's why we all got cheap seats.
They go where people pay the most.... and it isn't AZS.

Not enough beds on the peninsula....build and they will come.

NOOOOOooooo!!

I think there are plenty of places to stay in LT - for the feeble gringos, I guess build one or two all-inclusives, but I think the variety of hotels in LT are fine.

But - I for one, am not looking for a Punta Cana - its already there, don't need another - (BTW - I've never been there in my 13 yrs of going to DR)

So for moi, my options are limited to POP or SDQ.

Been there done that - its OK, but I don't want to waste time & $ on a rental car to get me to LT. For me to get to LT, I would have to go to Toronto from NY - not against it, but its a hassle & more $.

In reality my option is now down to POP and staying Cabarete - Fcuking Shame!

I guess LT have to wait until my retirement plans - which is to spend 2 months in DR during Winter time...

Stay Golden Pony Boy

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not one, zero, flights from the USA to AZS

If you live in Buffalo or near Montreal.... just trip across the border for WestJet

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
? It's a pleasant two-hour drive from SDQ, which has plenty of flights going everywhere....

Besides, I'm not sure how excited I'd be about Las Terrenas becoming a major thing for east coasters. Punta Cana gets the AI crowds, Puerto Plata/Sosua get the "weekend millionaires" convinced they can turn La Gatita and her amigas into honest women.

LT is still very pleasant and, comparatively speaking, less commercialized and Americanized.

The way it is now, is just fine.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Be careful what you wish for.

Jet Blue and Air Morac code share. Next thing you know, Mosques popping up in Las Terenas and other North coast cities. You think the roosters are annoying in the morning? Wait until you hear some bloke singing in Arabic on a loudspeaker at 5am. Been there done that, I'll take the rooster, thank you very much.

Just saying.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Big deal out of nothing

Be careful what you wish for.

Jet Blue and Air Morac code share. Next thing you know, Mosques popping up in Las Terenas and other North coast cities. You think the roosters are annoying in the morning? Wait until you hear some bloke singing in Arabic on a loudspeaker at 5am. Been there done that, I'll take the rooster, thank you very much.

Just saying.

Moroccan from Maroco who can afford vacationing in the Caribbean are more likely to be found in St Barth or in club med in Punta Cana. And they are not the type who go to the mosque 5 times a day. Just sayin' :disappoin

Anyhow, it is ridiculous to think that JB is going to bring flights after an email campaign. If the demand, hence profits were there, they would still be there, simple. Some European Airlines (like XL airways) fly to AZS seasonally, obviously JB didnt go that route either.

It is 2.5 hour drive, the kids and I have been doing it several times a year, after a 3.5 hr flight, it is not the end of the world. All the Euros in LT do it after a 9h flight (sometimes more if they have connections). Taxis charge $160 ( spacious with Wifi on board) and there are guagua leaving the capital till 6 PM.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
And not that much more time from POP

Indeed, flew to/from POP in April. Stopped on the way to eat fried fish with rice tostones (can't recall the name of the place). I am starting to like the road to POP better, more things to look at. Of course, we went through your neck of the woods.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I did that a year ago and got a response that it was not a profitable route which I think is a bs answer. If think the problem is the cost of fees charged by the company that runs the El Catey Airport. They have few flights coming in so they charge un-competitive rates to try to cover their costs. It would behoove the DR gov to work out a deal with an airline out of the NYC area to fly into El Catey. I can't understand why this is not a priority for their tourism minister in growing the business on the Samana Peninsula. The DR gov invests in the cost of building the airport but don't have an understanding on what airlines need to be able to fly into there. It is not that complicated to sit down with airline executives and find out what the problems are and fix them to make it as easy as possible for tourists to come. It is the same old story. These politicans don't want to be involved unless there is something in it for them. Very sad.

If a flight can not mantain a percent of ocupation every schedule day become in a non profiable, bedsides that if there is not transporting goods that is an extra money that help to mantain the route, so dificult they resume the service.

For Example. Aeromexico started service to SDQ 4 days a week in a plane with 99 seat, after 3 months they increased service to 5 days a week. Since that I started to search for the load factor of the route MEX-SDQ-MEX and has been betwwen 78% to 80%. Starting september they announced will start daily service to Mexico City using same plane with 99 seat E190. The route its been growing so probable early next year they will change to biger plane 737-700 if the route continue growing.

All airlines works with the same book, it the route wasnt running like that its a sentence to death.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right Riva

I posted the nucleus of a JetBlue internal memo....it was just as you say.

They use a $ per seat per mile calculation...or some variation.
They were selling seats too cheaply in order to reach the load factor .
Punta Cana absorbed the volume at higher $$....not brain surgery....