Long time lurker...first time poster

EphraimH

Jul 12, 2017
Greetings. I have been an active viewer of Dr1 going back to the early 2000's. I am starting to think about retirement etc and thought this may be a good time to start posting.
I have lived in the DR in the past, including stints in La Vega, Santiago, San Fran de Macoris, Sajoma, Mao, Bonao and Monte Cristi. My wife of 22 years is Dominican and we visit the island fairly regularly. I am a fluent Spanish speaker.
I always enjoy reading the forums. The information on here is invaluable.
I look forward to future conversations and interactions.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Welcome. I've been a lurker for the most part as well until recently. I am probably one of the youngest ones here on DR1 (I think) so I plan to share my insights on things for years to come.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Greetings. I have been an active viewer of Dr1 going back to the early 2000's. I am starting to think about retirement etc and thought this may be a good time to start posting.
I have lived in the DR in the past, including stints in La Vega, Santiago, San Fran de Macoris, Sajoma, Mao, Bonao and Monte Cristi. My wife of 22 years is Dominican and we visit the island fairly regularly. I am a fluent Spanish speaker.
I always enjoy reading the forums. The information on here is invaluable.
I look forward to future conversations and interactions.

Bienvenido. You are practically a local. Are you thinking about retirement in the DR? 6 months a year on the Island is a good way to go.

EphraimH

Jul 12, 2017
It's kind of funny. I have come to the point where I almost consider my self a Dominican. But my red hair and pale skin betray me.
If I get my way, I want to retire early and just spend a few years in the DR. Then come back to the US and age gracefully.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It's kind of funny. I have come to the point where I almost consider my self a Dominican. But my red hair and pale skin betray me.
If I get my way, I want to retire early and just spend a few years in the DR. Then come back to the US and age gracefully.

My best Dominican friend has red hair freckles and pale skin. 2 of his sisters do also. Mother and Father both light skin Dominicans. Point is that Dominicans comes in all shapes and colors.
Welcome and best of luck EphraimH.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

That is funny. My wife who has auburn hair and is a light skin of Irish heritidge is also fluent in Spanish and many times worked to our advantage in the fact that locals did not know she understood what they were talking about. I would not want to spend all year in the DR. The weather is just oppressive in the late Spring through late Fall. I spent 6-7 months and that was near perfect. Good luck and good travels.