out of country will's

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
 My question is does an out of the country will stand here in the DR??? I have heard many different answers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I really don't have a complete answer, but please do consider this point.

A will, no matter where it is drawn up, will not supersede DR laws when it comes to how children are considered when it is time to distribute assets after the death of a parent.

If I had the chance, I would have a will drawn up in the DR according to DR laws to avoid any confusion.

Best of luck getting a conclusive answer to your main question. I am not surprised that you are not getting a conclusive answer.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am sure your DR lawyer, after considering your current residency status and will can let you know. If your current "out of country" will does not violate any of the applicable statutes in this country, is on file here in the DR, the courts should take your wishes into consideration. It may be prudent to file a separate and identical document here if this is where you expect your will to be executed. Probate rulings in a foreign country may not be enforceable here and vice versa.

Nothing brings family together like squabbles over money and property.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I bought an apartment from a foreign inheritor and it can be complicated.The will and legacy have to be translated and apostilled then presented with any other required documents also translated and apostilled such as birth and death certs.,testaments notarised and permission from all mentioned in the will.
This is presented to your local lawyer who will pass them into Dominican law if there is no conflict with local procedures.
This took a total of 6 months but was finally accomplished.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A will is valid in the Dominican Republic if it follows the rules of the location where it was written, based on the old principle of "locus regit actum.” In any case, you should consult estate attorneys both in the DR and in your country of residence to make sure your estate planning does not leave you open to contingencies in either country.