Thai food in Santo Domingo

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
My third visit to a brand new Thai restaurant in the Colonial Zone and making a recommendation. If you like great service, a clean environment and really good Thai food, mild, moderate or 🌶 spicy, this is the place for you. Calle El Conde and Calle Jose Reyes, opposite the Politur Tourist Module. Open three weeks now. The name is Thai Savanh.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Im all for Thai food. What are their specialities? Do they have things like Tom yum, curry fried rice etc? Also. What are prices like?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Great news. After the Asia Mia restaurant closed on Augustin Lara in Piantini I felt disappointed at not having a place to enjoy Asian food.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
easy to park opposite and El Conde is definitely having a revival . with some most pleasant places to eat .I have been writing about the need to put in large shade trees in the centre of El Conde for years ..to be planted in very large tubs as it gets very hot there during the day... but the local council is three grades worse than bad

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
GREAT NEWS! I just wish I didn't have to drive down to the capitol to get it. But for good Thai food I'll suffer the pain of S.D. traffic.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I walked past it several times yesterday. I'm glad to hear the food is good, but the place looked terrible! It's an open restaurant that's on the Conde, with the noise, pollution, and flies able to come in and out of the restaurant at will. It's an open air restaurant with no A/C, and no way to shut out the noise, pollution, and heat.

Not my taste for a way to sit down and enjoy a meal, but if the food is good, then it would be worth getting take-out.

I just don't get have an open-air restaurant in the middle of the Colonial Zone, on the Conde, where all the smells from the street and trash can come inside the restaurant...but especially the flies.

OK, I'm a little picky.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I walked past it several times yesterday. I'm glad to hear the food is good, but the place looked terrible! It's an open restaurant that's on the Conde, with the noise, pollution, and flies able to come in and out of the restaurant at will. It's an open air restaurant with no A/C, and no way to shut out the noise, pollution, and heat.

Not my taste for a way to sit down and enjoy a meal, but if the food is good, then it would be worth getting take-out.

I just don't get have an open-air restaurant in the middle of the Colonial Zone, on the Conde, where all the smells from the street and trash can come inside the restaurant...but especially the flies.

OK, I'm a little picky.

That used to be the German Beer store. Didn't work. I doubt this will either. Saw no one in there when I walked by 2 weeks ago.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

OK, I'm a little picky.

That is the charm of el conde, open air to people watch. I can only think of one or two closed in restaurants on el conde.

Can't comment on the food but I did see a party of 15 or so dining there so must be something good about the place. How long it will last remains to be seen.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
That is the charm of el conde, open air to people watch. I can only think of one or two closed in restaurants on el conde.

Can't comment on the food but I did see a party of 15 or so dining there so must be something good about the place. How long it will last remains to be seen.

Here's the thing about El Conde...if you are going to have outdoor seating, that's great because that's what people want--to sit outside and people watch. But then, to do that, you need some shade. A lot of shade. That's what's so great about sitting outside at El Conde Hotel or Segrafredo, is that you have huge trees and lots of shade, and even fans (Segrafredo). But to have a restaurant outside, you need the bare minimum of some attractive, beautiful shade, and that's what makes El Conde Hotel as well as Segrafredo so attractive to people who want to sit outside, eat, drink and people watch.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
This is the restaurant's third week since opening and the owner told me things are going well. If you must have shade you can sit inside and there are fans to keep you cool and keep the flies at bay. I go to an eating establishment for the food, great service, sensible prices, pleasant environment and to people watch, all in that order. The owner has another Thai restaurant in St. Maarten and according to him it's doing quite well in spite of the stiff competition in such a small island. I wish him best.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
My wife and I love Segafredos, but not for the food, just happy hour and people watching... always a show. We'll have to try out this Thai place as we both love oriental food. Thanks for the tip!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
My third visit to a brand new Thai restaurant in the Colonial Zone and making a recommendation. If you like great service, a clean environment and really good Thai food, mild, moderate or 🌶 spicy, this is the place for you. Calle El Conde and Calle Jose Reyes, opposite the Politur Tourist Module. Open three weeks now. The name is Thai Savanh.

Wife and I in SD and walked the Zone. It's been a few years and amazed at the changes. Mostly how many shops closed and could not count the tourist on both hands. Walking the zone was fun but now a graveyard. Parking? NONE. Even the side streets.

The new installed parking obstructions are being taken down ... saw 4 out at night in 2 days.

the new zone plan is a complete flop from every direction.

the Rest. mentioned? Does not matter how good it is or not. No one around.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Zona Colonial has changed completely and is now much more a residential area and for residents like I am , much more pleasant . Parking is not easy but there on the high side of El Conde there is still ample .There are plenty of people around eating at the many small eateries during the day and early at night and later on the week end nights but at present the cruise ships are not stopping in Rio Ozama so there are few tourists . The ZC has few individual historical attractions ,,the old wall and the big guns are still there but in disrepair , the ruins of San Francisco are still there and the residents fight like mad to preserve them from the council and the glorious churches , most which were looted by Frances Drake are often closed,You can still go to Parque Independencia , but as I said so many homes have been or are being renovated to live in... quite the reverse to what I imagined would happen. Most of the loud discos have gone and there are now only small bars .dozens of them .Think you must have just picked a very quiet time

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I have a long history with the Colonial Zone as I lived my first twelve years playing in and around what are now tourist attractions and traps. The area will continue to change regardless of whether it's good or bad. El Conde had cars driving along it and Guibia was a real beach free of the garbage that now adorns the entirety of the Malecon. Parque Independencia was a joy to play in and not a glorified zoo enclosure that keeps the animals out at night. Whose idea was that anyway? And why the monstrosity to honor the founding fathers in the middle of it? Paco's, now Grand's, was a place to have coffee and batidos and bs about politics and sports, not a meeting point to find male/female prostitutes to get one's groove. There was parking everywhere as few people had cars then. My point you ask? I love the Colonial Zone, warts and all, in spite of what the politicos do to reinvent it. It will outlive them all just as it has all others. Time to visit one the those dozens of boutique bars. Have a great evening all.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Tomorrow, Sunday 16th will not be a good day to head over to try the new restaurant in ZC with the Green Movement March taking place between JFK/Maximo Gomez and Plaza Centro de los Heroes. Thought about it tomorrow, but suspect the Malecon will get choked up from afternoon onwards for those of us on west side of city. Reviews of the same owners restaurant in Cupecoy, Sint Maarten are good.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Nobody has mentioned the price of this place. I went to eat there the other day and for a plate of food with rice the cost is RD$ 700. It's not an upmarket place, not somewhere that looks like you'd go for a special meal. And at that price point it needs to be, a meal for two with drinks will come up at RD$ 3000 to RD$ 4000. I walk past it three or four times every day and have only seen one or two people eating there. I just think that their pricing is going to lead it to fail which is a shame. We desperately need some new businesses other than the tourist souvenir shops, the barber shops and hairdressers in the Conde.