Convertible rental in Punta Cana?

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Convertible rental in Punta Cana? I found some Russians with their red Mustang rental, also saw another facebook post with white Mustang (also Russians) but no clear details on prices/conditions.

Any other places to rent a nice looking convertible car for 24 hours? I need it for some photo/video shoots.

Also interested in a photoshoot on a boat in Cap Cana marina, must be for 1 hour 6AM-7AM, or at 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM because of daylight conditions.

Jan 7, 2016
Forget a decent looking convertible in PC...they're all jacked-up and interiors are dirty and not what you've come to expect from US and Euro rental agencies. Make sure your "fog filters" are ready to cover-up the defects!

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Forget a decent looking convertible in PC...they're all jacked-up and interiors are dirty and not what you've come to expect from US and Euro rental agencies. Make sure your "fog filters" are ready to cover-up the defects!

Lol I know that, everything is ugly here... but I am good at photoshopping that crap :)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Sounds like you do not want a Mustang since you passed on the Russians. But, that is about all I see for convertibles. There were about five of them for rent over by Plaza Bavaro the other day. And there are usually one or two on the car lot near Los Corales If you want to find a particular car, he might be able to find it for you - he sells and rents cars. Eddy Melo.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Sounds like you do not want a Mustang since you passed on the Russians. But, that is about all I see for convertibles. There were about five of them for rent over by Plaza Bavaro the other day. And there are usually one or two on the car lot near Los Corales If you want to find a particular car, he might be able to find it for you - he sells and rents cars. Eddy Melo.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I don't like the red one, it doesn't look that good in photos. Do you remember what colors were available at the place you mentioned? The most photogenic color for that 2010 model is Grabber Blue, I did some photo shoots with it in Florida and it was fantastic.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Thanks for the info. Actually, I don't like the red one, it doesn't look that good in photos. Do you remember what colors were available at the place you mentioned? The most photogenic color for that 2010 model is Grabber Blue, I did some photo shoots with it in Florida and it was fantastic.

The one on the lot a few days ago is red. With some white. There were multiple colors over by Plaza Bavaro. I don't know if they are still there. If you are in the area, it is probably worth while to go by both places. I am not there at the moment or I would look again. (Also talk to Eddy. He seems to move a fair number of cars in and out. He would certainly tell you what he can do. Or call him. I have his number if you want to pm me.)

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
The one on the lot a few days ago is red. With some white. There were multiple colors over by Plaza Bavaro. I don't know if they are still there. If you are in the area, it is probably worth while to go by both places. I am not there at the moment or I would look again. (Also talk to Eddy. He seems to move a fair number of cars in and out. He would certainly tell you what he can do. Or call him. I have his number if you want to pm me.)

I am in Santo Domingo, so the best way for me is to make sure the car is available before I drive to Bavaro, because I need to pay for the hotel there, so if we drive there and no car is available and I can't take photos, it's all just wasted time. If he has whatsapp on his number so he can show the photos of his cars, that way I can see what I get there..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am in Santo Domingo, so the best way for me is to make sure the car is available before I drive to Bavaro, because I need to pay for the hotel there, so if we drive there and no car is available and I can't take photos, it's all just wasted time. If he has whatsapp on his number so he can show the photos of his cars, that way I can see what I get there..

You want to contact the SD antique car club. They have quite a few.

https://www.facebook.com/CAACRD/

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
You want to contact the SD antique car club. They have quite a few.

https://www.facebook.com/CAACRD/

I don't think that any owner of a show quality classic car in DR (or even in US) will rent is to somebody. Because I need a car for a photo shoot not where the car is parked (like in an ugly parking lot or garage somewhere), I need to drive it to locations I need and take photos there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not true,
Many owners are happy to lend their car....if supervised by the owner.

Example 
The owner of Mustang #000000000001 lent his to my friend to drive to/from her daughter's wedding.
All he wanted was a signed photo of her father and brother.

Exceptional circumstances, mind you.

They like showing off the cars....worth a try calling to ask.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Not true,
Many owners are happy to lend their car....if supervised by the owner.

Example 
The owner of Mustang #000000000001 lent his to my friend to drive to/from her daughter's wedding.
All he wanted was a signed photo of her father and brother.

Exceptional circumstances, mind you.

They like showing off the cars....worth a try calling to ask.

Well, good point but here in DR there is too much risk of damage and no full insurance for older cars, so even if some Dominican classic car owner wants to see how a tall blonde European model in a bikini is posing for a photo shoot with his car, it's too much risk that the car will be damaged by a drunk motoconcho or truck driver on the way to the photo shoot location, and if there is no full insurance, so what?

I owned a classic car myself here, sold it a few years ago and honestly I am happy that I sold it, because once you drive it outside your garage, there are hundreds of imbeciles around doing all possible maneuvers to scratch it. So I prefer just to rent a modern convertible with full insurance, like any other normal rental car.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't think that any owner of a show quality classic car in DR (or even in US) will rent is to somebody. Because I need a car for a photo shoot not where the car is parked (like in an ugly parking lot or garage somewhere), I need to drive it to locations I need and take photos there.

You're welcome.

Sorry, I'm a little slow. It took me a while to figure out what you want to do is cruise the countryside in a nice convertible and stop here and there to shoot some "artsy" shots with some little cutie.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
You're welcome.

Sorry, I'm a little slow. It took me a while to figure out what you want to do is cruise the countryside in a nice convertible and stop here and there to shoot some "artsy" shots with some little cutie.

Yes this is exactly what I want to do )

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreeing with JD, 
Your question sounded like a still shoot , not a country caravan .....

Chances are slim of you being allowed to go alone.... or to remote/ scenic locations.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
Agreeing with JD, 
Your question sounded like a still shoot , not a country caravan .....

Chances are slim of you being allowed to go alone.... or to remote/ scenic locations.

Well, still shoot here, still shoot there, etc... in Punta Cana - Bavaro area. I was asking about MODERN convertible for rent. I never asked about classic car. All those Mustangs for rent in that area are 2010-2012. As I said, the one available from Russians is not the color I like, and the condition is also not that good... I saw some wedding photos with it, and tires/rims look ugly. I can photoshop some dings on a bumper, some marks here and there and ugly Dominican marbete stickers on the windshield, but not the whole car ) I am surprised that all big rental companies like Dollar/Thrifty/Europcar etc don't have convertibles for rent in DR.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Yes this is exactly what I want to do )

This makes the list of stupid things to do in this country.  By the way do you know this fountry or plan to have a driver. I also have the feeling that a few days ago I noticed a red convertible ( do not usually see convertibles around here especially a red one) with 2 gringos and being driven by a dominican.  I would suggest you keep the driver and explain to your "cutie".
I guess you are looking to impress. Watch out for the rains with that red convertible.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There was a place that rented Slingshots here in Bavaro. They sometimes had 3-4 in the lot at a time. Given the amount of rain we sometimes get and the height of the speedbumps, they didn't seem to rent very often.

sddr

I love Dominicans!!!!
Aug 29, 2016
 This makes the list of stupid things to do in this country. By the way do you know this fountry or plan to have a driver. I also have the feeling that a few days ago I noticed a red convertible ( do not usually see convertibles around here especially a red one) with 2 gringos and being driven by a dominican. I would suggest you keep the driver and explain to your "cutie".
I guess you are looking to impress. Watch out for the rains with that red convertible.

I live in SD since 2003 and I drive around the country a lot. But if I drive to Bavaro, I normally drive to resorts only, so I don't know a lot about rent-a cars, shopping plazas, etc in that area, that's why I am asking this here ) but hiring a Dominican driver :)) LOL I don't need that

I need a convertible for some photoshoots only. I will take it at 6 PM, park it in the hotel parking lot, next morning I start at 6 AM, drive here and there, take photos, at 6PM I will return it to the rental location. That's it.

I guess you are looking to impress.

What a stupid post, lol. I am looking to do some photoshoots here instead of going to Miami for that, I am too busy for traveling now.