A question concerning Cell Phones?

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
I have a friend who is in need of a Cell Phone. Can someone tell me if it would be cheaper buying the phone in the US, or waiting until I arrive in the DR.
I know they already have service, and will need change the enternal chip. Are the Nokia phone easily converted, or is there a better phone? Thanks for any help from my "DR1 FRIENDS"

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
in most cases buy in the DR. same price or cheaper even.
at leasr you get some service afterwards if you need it.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
bring one

I brought my nokia and they just turned it on at codetel now I can switch back and for to Bell South in fla or Codetel in Dr. Also with prepay in Dr you can charge phone with comunicard san get free caller id voicemail 2 online and other features and it only costs about 20.00 us to activate..Ls

Ps as Rob would say check the archives that question has been asked before :==*)

Last edited:

Joe Boone

Feb 23, 2002
Cell Phones in DR

I just recently returned from the DR and enjoyed lots of experience with Cell Phones. Last Summer I picked up several nice Analog phones (mostly Nokias) at Yard Sales here in the US. I paid anywhere from one dollar to three dollars each, with chargers. I found that the Analogs were easily activated by both Codetel and Tricom. However, Tricom cards expire a lot quicker than Codetel. But, there are areas, even in the Cities, where Tricom works, and Codetel does not. When I was there, everyone was giving FREE activation. Regarding Digital, I bought a Dual Mode Motorola Startac Model 7868 on Ebay for my personal use while in the DR. The phone was almost New, unlocked, etc., but I still paid around $100US for it. I bought one in the States because I had paid around $200US at Plaza Lama in Santiago for an Analog Startac Model 6000 about two years ago.
But, competition has brought the prices down to mas o menos Stateside prices.
There was no problem activating my 7868 but if I had it to do over with, I would have bought one down there. Codetel was running a special on the Model 7867 (which works better in the DR than my 7868) for around 2500 pesos. I also saw a NICE Motorola (forgot the name/model but it's a bit smaller than the Startac) at Electro Botique in Santiago for around 2300 pesos.
Anyway, if you're happy with Analog, take one with you. The same phone that you can get in the US for one or two dollars will go for around 500/800 pesos used, down there. New digital phones are priced about the same here, and there. Don't forget, the battery on the Digital phone will last at least twice as long.