Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brick by Brick

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brick by Brick

Wanted some input on my idea.

Why not by some land and slowly build the house over the course of 7-10 years, brick by brick? I see many many half built homes in the DR like this. Maybe just build the shell and a perimeter wall.

Thoughts?

Buzz

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Building is pretty cheap so why take 7 to 10 years?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for it. As long as you're not leaving blocks and other materials laying around to be disapeared you'll be fine.

IF I was going to lay up a house by myself I would only work from 7am to 9am. I don't know how those guys work in the hot sun all day.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz65 View Post
    Wanted some input on my idea.

Why not by some land and slowly build the house over the course of 7-10 years, brick by brick? I see many many half built homes in the DR like this. Maybe just build the shell and a perimeter wall.

Thoughts?

Buzz
    It's very common.

Why?

Mortages are relatively new in the DR, but even now they are way too expensive for the "average" Dominican to afford.

So someone builds a house with what cash they can put together at the time. It may take years to pay off the land. Then years to save for building a foundation. Then walls. Then...

When they have the money, they use it for what they can do next and don't leave anything at the site.

But when it's finished, it's debt free.

5. Likes sanpedrogringo, cbmitch9 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear what you are saying Cobraboy. I have dom/amer friend in my hometown Near ft lauderdale. One woman, who works as an accountant, says she has been doing this since she arrive in USA about 20 years ago. She buys land, slowly builds it with cash and then sells. Rolls over profit into another. She has done about 3 homes and her last one will be when she retires, leave USA, and lives in her new dom home, paid in full. Nice thing now, our local Home Depot ships direct to domrep. So, she has been buying all the kitchen materials, appliances, etcc to finish them up with better flooring etc....

Her advantage, however, is that she has local dom family to look after properties while built, keep an eye on the builder, etc... I think that's one of her big advantages to success. My thought, was to buy and build next to a local and somehow hire him to do the same. Keep an eye on it and you will be paid, progressively, not all up front.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My maid is building her house this way. She managed to save money over time to buy the land but as a single mother with 2 daughters was having a hard time saving up enough money to start building. So she went to the bank, got a small loan (no credit history so the amount was very small), enough to build the outside walls. She's just finished paying off the initial loan and will soon get another one to get the windows, door and roof put in. Many people do it that way or using the money their family sends from the US every few months.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    My maid is building her house this way. She managed to save money over time to buy the land but as a single mother with 2 daughters was having a hard time saving up enough money to start building. So she went to the bank, got a small loan (no credit history so the amount was very small), enough to build the outside walls. She's just finished paying off the initial loan and will soon get another one to get the windows, door and roof put in. Many people do it that way or using the money their family sends from the US every few months.
    Thank you.

What area?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My main man just did.... with a little help from me.

Bought the land a while back then started the house.
    Because he had a steady loan stream and a big family it finished faster than most
    Like 6 months....

His neighbors are doing it the old fashioned way and it takes time

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    My main man just did.... with a little help from me.

Bought the land a while back then started the house.
    Because he had a steady loan stream and a big family it finished faster than most
    Like 6 months....

His neighbors are doing it the old fashioned way and it takes time
    That's great.

This is why I am inquiring... "When in Rome, do as the Romans." Because of aforementioned reasons, i don't think the locals know any other way to get a house. But bless their hearts for not making the banks rich by getting a 30 year mort and basically, paying for your property 3 times.

Curious if Dom has the same tax law as Haiti, if it's not finished, no prop taxes are due. Unfortunately for aesthetics, Haitians never paint the outside ogf their home, because that would consider it "finished" for tax reasons.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Very common. It's actually how our house began, unbeknownst to us. We bought the land back in 1978, my husband and his family had been going to that beach town for many decades, people there have known Mr. AE since he was a little boy. We were busy having kids and making our lives in NY, when my mother-in-law decided we were taking too long to start building. It's why the house is in an odd [to us] place on the property, and is much smaller than we would have built.

His sister worked for the government at that time, and through some program or another she secured a lot of cinderblocks. One of his brothers had lent money to someone who never repaid it, so the guy dug a well on the property as payment. Someone else knew someone, and the cistern and septic were dug/built. By the time we found out about all this, the walls were about 5' up, exterior and interior. It became a group family effort, one that we had no control of and little say in.

Little by little it was completed, we paid for the roof and the ceramic tiles, windows, bathroom fixtures. As in, we sent the money and they chose what they wanted, lol. Most of the neighbors had no clue that we were the owners of the property, because we were never there and the rest of the family was.

Over the past 5-6 years, we've almost doubled the original footprint, renovated it, although it's still not what we would have built ourselves. It is what it is.....a typical Dominican house.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast